Just bought a 59' reissue bassman. NOS. Have some questions. Laquer, tubes and Moj

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thebob, Mar 2, 2008.

1. thebob

thebob TDPRI Member

Hello all,

I love my tele so much that I needed to get an amp that it would look good against, and sound good as well. I have been wanting a bassman for some time and I bought one from Mark B the owner of victoria amps. He sold it with some weber alnico speakers. It was built in 2001 and is in new condition. Raw tweed tolex. and no tubes. So I am going to laquer the amp this week. Take it all apart and laquer it with minwax stain/polyutherane honey pine color. I got that recommendation out of weber amp book.

Now for the tubes. Should I run an 12ay7 or 12ax7 in the v1 position. I like gain but holy crap this amp is loud. I may order those resistors that people on the forum dont think can handle the heat from 1/4 watt to 1/2 watt resitors. While I have it all apart I can switch them out.

Rectification tube recommendation should I stay with the 5ar4 or go with another one.

I got a great deal on it 600 bucks with the speaker upgrade. Rock and Roll baby.

any other advice on the amp would be great.

My marshall jcm2000 100dsl just doest sound right to me with the tele (IT is great with a SG) I hope that I enjoy it as much as I think I am

bob

PS. I dont have any metal fender decals on it. I may want a custom one now that I have a chance to do it. any ideas where to look

bob

2. Guitarslinger1

Guitarslinger1 Banned

Bob, the 12AY7 will lower the B+ due to its higher current draw, which is a good thing, as it will make it a tiny bit less "brittle" or thin sounding, but it will reduce the gain, giving more headroom. You'll have to decide which you like best.

Using a 5U4 will lower the B+ significantly (of course you'll need to rebias it) and will induce more sag, but most people prefer the tone of a GZ34/5AR4 in Bassmans. Again, it's up to your personal taste.

If it were mine, I'd change those resistors to carbon comp 1/2 watters.

Unfortunately, Fender seems to have gone after the dealers who had the Fender logo plates, like they do with the headstock decals, so the sources seem to have dried up. I'm curious to hear if anyone knows of any current source for them.

Paul

3. thebob

thebob TDPRI Member

Paul

thanks for the reply.

Is there any other things to beef up while I am in the amp.

I love gain but with an amp this loud I would prefer to try more power tube distortion not pre amp distortion.

thanks again for your help

bob

4. Guitarslinger1

Guitarslinger1 Banned

I suppose there are all sorts of things you could do, but at some point it starts to make more sense to sell the amp and build one form scratch.

Those mods should do, but maybe some of the other folks will have suggestions that I'm not thinking of.

5. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

That's what I am going to do. When get money sent to Bob at Eurotubes.com

6. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Heck I'd buy a bassman too if I could find one that cheap - whether I need it or not. I Played one just last week and enjoyed it - very loud and powerfulll for sure. I have heard of some folks just pulling out tubes to quiet it down for home playing. Even yanking out the 6L6's and putting in 6V6's or some such. But some just pulling out 1-2 of the 6L6's, same with vibroverbs.

Love the Bassman and there are all sorts of tweaks that can be done on them.

7. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

not paul, but you could look into something like a weber mass. and you could look for some very inefficient speakers. outside of that, i can't think of anything to get you more power tube distortion. one thing you could do is turn your presence pot into a post PIMV. or a power scaling sort of thing.

good price and good luck

8. EasilyAmused

EasilyAmused Tele-Meister

I ran a bassman RI with a weber mini mass for a few years, playing 3-4 times a week. I think they sound really good together! That way you get the power-amp distortion you want to get. Just make sure to ask to have it made up to go down to 2 ohms - as the speakers will be looking for that.

9. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah to take into account that the bassman output transformer is producing at 2 ohms the lowest you can on that. Which makes it very loud and require and a little bit of adjustments.

10. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

I run my bassman with 12ax7 pre's and JAN 6l6wgb (5881) finals and 5ar4 retifier. When pushed hard it has a has a tighter distortion and stronger mids to my ear.

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah I am going to order me some JJ tubes from Bob at eurotubes.com I getting ECC81(V1) ECC83(V2 AND V3) and Pair of 6L6 and GZ34.

12. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

My advice, short and simple:

Tubes: JJ's to darken it a bit for V2 and V3, and get a GE white letter 12ay7 for V1. Get a pair of Jan 6L6WGBs OR a set of the new TAD 6L6WGC, which are GREAT tubes also, very creamy. Use a 5AR4 for the tube rectifier or maybe a 5U4GB if you can find it to lower the voltage.

Settings:

Normal Vol: 8 - 9
    Bright vol: 3-5
    Middle: 8-9
    Treb: 3 - 4
    Bass: 3 - 4
    Presence: 6 - 8

Jumper the channels and control it all from your guitar.

For years I used a Bassman Reissue, it sounded great. I've used them as backline when I've had to as well, always got a great tone, the key is keeping the treble control turned low, and as you increase volume, lower the bass knob as well, like all Fender amps. If this one has the blue frame Eminence speakers, that's even better, IMHO.

13. thebob

thebob TDPRI Member

Thanks to all for your replies.

I feel that I got a great deal on a great amp and this may be the platform for my tone for the next few months at least.

I looked at the schematic from schematic heaven and the resistors that people say to replace from the v1 position seem to be 1/2 watt and not the 1/4 watt that people say to replace. So I dont know for sure what is in there.

I dont want too much distortion just great usable tone. I will experiment with preamp tubes. I like some bite but not so much that it kills eveyone. Loud and proud without the fizz may work. I generally do not like preamp fuzz. Attneuation is great but I would rather avoid it. I will let the amp teach me how to play it rather than I predict what it should do. Supposively these are good amps. I dont care if it is not dead reproduction of the old tweed as I have not played or heard the old ones so I dont have that tone in my head to chase. But with the weber upgrades I want the amp to be the best it can be. I want it to be smooth and musical with some bite when pushed but not too much gain.

I really want my tele to sing like a bird. I gought this amp for that guitar. A 60th anniversary tele. She's nice. I got that one for 400 bucks mint shape.

I get alot stuff at prices that I cant refuse

thanks
    bob

14. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah play with setting, try different tubes, and speaker before you going modding your bassman.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.