Just an observation, purely anecdotal, no science involved.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My niece is visiting my mountain man brother-in-law for only a couple of days, then has to return to Oregon where she lives. I could see we weren't making any headway trying to hook up, and I knew both my niece and my wife wanted to see each other since it's been a couple of years since they saw each other, so I made a suggestion. Why don't we get a really nice pizza and head up there? We did that, and had a nice visit, and enjoyed a good slice!

Now I get to my observation. As some of you may have observed for some reason, I have not been particularly enamored of my AV 72 Tele Custom and thought I might want to replace it with something, anything, maybe an accordion or bagpipes. Yesterday, I had the chance to play my brother-in-law's twelve-year-old Mexican Tele in perfect condition, really just like it was coming off the wall at Guitar Center, but it has Texas Special pickups in it he installed.

Though I don't really play much anymore, I kind of got into it, and enjoyed playing the guitar, and thought I might try to weasel it out of him since he has several other guitars and doesn't play the Mex Tele much. I sat there holding the guitar, and visiting, trying to formulate how I was going to approach trying to buy the guitar when SHAZAM! Reality hit me all at once! I have bought numerous, maybe too numerous to count Teles in my time, and the realization hit me that the one I already have, if I would just be honest with myself plays as well or better than any of them, I've owned. A conclusion I had come to long ago when I had my sell off, that being the reason I kept the AV 72! I had somehow forgotten this.

My observation is, a Tele, is a Tele, is a Tele. Your milage may, and quite possibly may vary, but I reckon like the old coon hunter who had his wife read off an ad he had her write for him to sell off a hound. When he heard the ad read back, he said to his wife, I've been looking for a dog like that, I reckon I'll just keep him. I reckon I'll just keep the AV 72. I reckon too, that my son can have it when I'm through with it.

PS:

I sincerely apologize for writing something actually pertaining to guitars, and Telecasters in specific. String Tree's post made me do it!
I didn't actually know you OWNED a Telecaster, TD......all I recall hearing about was a Martin. Glad you're not here "illegitimately".
My personal opinions on Telecasters is about 89% the same as yours. IF you like the feel of the neck, and it's not too heavy for you, ANYTHING else (or just about) can be changed or modified. If your AV 72 meets that criteria, you're good in my book.
What kind of pizza, BTW? ;)

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Now I'm really confused. Is it a Gibson SG or an Epiphany SG?
I see what you’re doing there
My niece is visiting my mountain man brother-in-law for only a couple of days, then has to return to Oregon where she lives. I could see we weren't making any headway trying to hook up, and I knew both my niece and my wife wanted to see each other since it's been a couple of years since they saw each other, so I made a suggestion. Why don't we get a really nice pizza and head up there? We did that, and had a nice visit, and enjoyed a good slice!

Now I get to my observation. As some of you may have observed for some reason, I have not been particularly enamored of my AV 72 Tele Custom and thought I might want to replace it with something, anything, maybe an accordion or bagpipes. Yesterday, I had the chance to play my brother-in-law's twelve-year-old Mexican Tele in perfect condition, really just like it was coming off the wall at Guitar Center, but it has Texas Special pickups in it he installed.

Though I don't really play much anymore, I kind of got into it, and enjoyed playing the guitar, and thought I might try to weasel it out of him since he has several other guitars and doesn't play the Mex Tele much. I sat there holding the guitar, and visiting, trying to formulate how I was going to approach trying to buy the guitar when SHAZAM! Reality hit me all at once! I have bought numerous, maybe too numerous to count Teles in my time, and the realization hit me that the one I already have, if I would just be honest with myself plays as well or better than any of them, I've owned. A conclusion I had come to long ago when I had my sell off, that being the reason I kept the AV 72! I had somehow forgotten this.

My observation is, a Tele, is a Tele, is a Tele. Your milage may, and quite possibly may vary, but I reckon like the old coon hunter who had his wife read off an ad he had her write for him to sell off a hound. When he heard the ad read back, he said to his wife, I've been looking for a dog like that, I reckon I'll just keep him. I reckon I'll just keep the AV 72. I reckon too, that my son can have it when I'm through with it.

PS:

I sincerely apologize for writing something actually pertaining to guitars, and Telecasters in specific. String Tree's post made me do it!
Isn’t that the truth - the grass is always greener! Human nature. I’m at the point where I’ve decided no more guitars and I’ve stuck to my resolve for two and a half years, but I still look and want. Those that appeal to me are usually Tele type guitars, but I have four, and my favorite has been my favorite for going on 13 years. I’ve bought and sold several since I bought my fav and I’m still tempted. My work around is that I will allow myself to trade, but I have 8 electrics, a nice acoustic, and an electric bass. And I know a guy with <150> high end models who hardly plays; he’s not even good when he does play. I believe that’s called a collector, something I’ve never aspired to become. Just hangs them up in his in-house museum like paintings, and I must say he has exquisite taste. Come to think of it, I guess it’s cheaper than collecting art work.

I’m trying to learn the art of being content and the inflated prices are helping to achieve that goal.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I see what you’re doing there

Isn’t that the truth - the grass is always greener! Human nature. I’m at the point where I’ve decided no more guitars and I’ve stuck to my resolve for two and a half years, but I still look and want. Those that appeal to me are usually Tele type guitars, but I have four, and my favorite has been my favorite for going on 13 years. I’ve bought and sold several since I bought my fav and I’m still tempted. My work around is that I will allow myself to trade, but I have 8 electrics, a nice acoustic, and an electric bass. And I know a guy with <150> high end models who hardly plays; he’s not even good when he does play. I believe that’s called a collector, something I’ve never aspired to become. Just hangs them up in his in-house museum like paintings, and I must say he has exquisite taste. Come to think of it, I guess it’s cheaper than collecting art work.

I’m trying to learn the art of being content and the inflated prices are helping to achieve that goal.
Big Amen to you too brother, I haven't bought a guitar in a long time. I get to hankering for something, then I realize it's like my brother-in-law once said back when he was single. He said I thought I'd done found the love of my life and then she took her wig off, and I recognized her from a couple of weeks ago. ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
was the pizza cold when you got up the mountain?...

just an observation..;)
Actually, my wife ordered the pizza, we got there when they took it out of the oven and slapped it in the box. We had a straight shot out of town. I brought some heavy towels wrapped the box in them and made it from the Pizza place to my BIL's place in fifty-five minutes. No traffic, and I'm familiar with the road (very familiar). It was if not piping hot, just fine as it was still quite warm. We got the best, and biggest they had, and everyone enjoyed it.

(I hope my brother-in-law didn't have his little hostess chocolate ding dongs numbered)

1649634750161.png

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I didn't actually know you OWNED a Telecaster, TD......all I recall hearing about was a Martin. Glad you're not here "illegitimately".
My personal opinions on Telecasters is about 89% the same as yours. IF you like the feel of the neck, and it's not too heavy for you, ANYTHING else (or just about) can be changed or modified. If your AV 72 meets that criteria, you're good in my book.
What kind of pizza, BTW? ;)

They called it "the works." It was also the largest one they had. It was about 25 bucks, but worth every penny. I've had lots of Teles, had 2 AV 52s. Wish I still had the second one. Or, even the first one. Had a Mexi-Tele my wife bought that I for sure should have kept. Had a Diamond anniversary AS with Vintage pickups that sounded and played super, that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Oh yeah two new American Standards, one was just perfect and a beautiful red in color, it was so nice, I had to sell it! You get the picture though.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Actually, my wife ordered the pizza, we got there when they took it out of the oven and slapped it in the box. We had a straight shot out of town. I brought some heavy towels wrapped the box in them and made it from the Pizza place to my BIL's place in fifty-five minutes. No traffic, and I'm familiar with the road (very familiar). It was if not piping hot, just fine as it was still quite warm. We got the best, and biggest they had, and everyone enjoyed it.

(I hope my brother-in-law didn't have his little hostess chocolate ding dongs numbered)

View attachment 972301
I LOVE Ding Dongs......have some in the fridge right now. I'm not supposed to eat them (due to diabetes) but sometimes I just succumb. ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I LOVE Ding Dongs......have some in the fridge right now. I'm not supposed to eat them (due to diabetes) but sometimes I just succumb. ;)
My brother-in-law is not supposed to eat them either! I felt like I was actually protecting him from himself by eating one of his hidden stash, well they were actually sitting right there on the table, but...;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If a pizza is just a pizza and a tele is just a tele does that mean a strat is just a strat? Or is there some wise analogy hidden that I am not seeing?
Strats come in very good models, and very bad models, not too many in between. However, arguing that is beyond the scope of this thread. The main problem with Strats is that players often become enamored of the whammy bar, and constantly fiddle with it, and pull on it, much in the manner that Snoop Dog must constantly pull on the front of his trousers to ensure that something hasn't fallen off of his body.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve got a MIM C50 tele. It’s my second tele and EVERYONE that’s played it is amazed how it plays and sounds. The only thing I’ve changed is the tuners (Gotoh Vintage Lockers) because the Pings sucked, the pickguard because the original one sucked, and moved down to .10s. I also added strap locks because that’s what I do
A425DF1C-C904-4D96-829B-9EDA937A9CEA.jpeg

The pickguard change because it’s all you can really see that’s different

Synchro

Tele-Holic

PS:

Good insight. I have a decent collection of guitars, ranging from a Squier I bought for pocket change to a high end MIA Guild, but any of them are good enough for my next gig. Today, for band practice, I grabbed a Tele that was MIM and it sounded great. Would a more expensive one have sounded better? Probably not, and especially so with a Tele, which is a simple instrument.