Just an observation, purely anecdotal, no science involved.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My niece is visiting my mountain man brother-in-law for only a couple of days, then has to return to Oregon where she lives. I could see we weren't making any headway trying to hook up, and I knew both my niece and my wife wanted to see each other since it's been a couple of years since they saw each other, so I made a suggestion. Why don't we get a really nice pizza and head up there? We did that, and had a nice visit, and enjoyed a good slice!

Now I get to my observation. As some of you may have observed for some reason, I have not been particularly enamored of my AV 72 Tele Custom and thought I might want to replace it with something, anything, maybe an accordion or bagpipes. Yesterday, I had the chance to play my brother-in-law's twelve-year-old Mexican Tele in perfect condition, really just like it was coming off the wall at Guitar Center, but it has Texas Special pickups in it he installed.

Though I don't really play much anymore, I kind of got into it, and enjoyed playing the guitar, and thought I might try to weasel it out of him since he has several other guitars and doesn't play the Mex Tele much. I sat there holding the guitar, and visiting, trying to formulate how I was going to approach trying to buy the guitar when SHAZAM! Reality hit me all at once! I have bought numerous, maybe too numerous to count Teles in my time, and the realization hit me that the one I already have, if I would just be honest with myself plays as well or better than any of them, I've owned. A conclusion I had come to long ago when I had my sell off, that being the reason I kept the AV 72! I had somehow forgotten this.

My observation is, a Tele, is a Tele, is a Tele. Your milage may, and quite possibly may vary, but I reckon like the old coon hunter who had his wife read off an ad he had her write for him to sell off a hound. When he heard the ad read back, he said to his wife, I've been looking for a dog like that, I reckon I'll just keep him. I reckon I'll just keep the AV 72. I reckon too, that my son can have it when I'm through with it.

PS:

I sincerely apologize for writing something actually pertaining to guitars, and Telecasters in specific. String Tree's post made me do it!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
My niece is visiting my mountain man brother-in-law for only a couple of days, then has to return to Oregon where she lives. I could see we weren't making any headway trying to hook up, and I knew both my niece and my wife wanted to see each other since it's been a couple of years since they saw each other, so I made a suggestion. Why don't we get a really nice pizza and head up there? We did that, and had a nice visit, and enjoyed a good slice!

Now I get to my observation. As some of you may have observed for some reason, I have not been particularly enamored of my AV 72 Tele Custom and thought I might want to replace it with something, anything, maybe an accordion or bagpipes. Yesterday, I had the chance to play my brother-in-law's twelve-year-old Mexican Tele in perfect condition, really just like it was coming off the wall at Guitar Center, but it has Texas Special pickups in it he installed.

Though I don't really play much anymore, I kind of got into it, and enjoyed playing the guitar, and thought I might try to weasel it out of him since he has several other guitars and doesn't play the Mex Tele much. I sat there holding the guitar, and visiting, trying to formulate how I was going to approach trying to buy the guitar when SHAZAM! Reality hit me all at once! I have bought numerous, maybe too numerous to count Teles in my time, and the realization hit me that the one I already have, if I would just be honest with myself plays as well or better than any of them, I've owned. A conclusion I had come to long ago when I had my sell off, that being the reason I kept the AV 72! I had somehow forgotten this.

My observation is, a Tele, is a Tele, is a Tele. Your milage may, and quite possibly may vary, but I reckon like the old coon hunter who had his wife read off an ad he had her write for him to sell off a hound. When he heard the ad read back, he said to his wife, I've been looking for a dog like that, I reckon I'll just keep him. I reckon I'll just keep the AV 72. I reckon too, that my son can have it when I'm through with it.

PS:

I sincerely apologize for writing something actually pertaining to guitars, and Telecasters in specific. String Tree's post made me do it!
That’s called an epiphany. I had one last week when I restrung my Gibson SG with nickel strings with a wound G. The guitar sounds like I always wanted it to sound. Tone isn’t in the fingers. It’s in the strings. Epiphany.

The real epiphany isn’t that. We all know it’s not. The epiphany is way simpler. Learn to appreciate what you have. Until you do, your appreciation for anything new will fade fast.

Togman

Tele-Afflicted
That’s called an epiphany. I had one last week when I restrung my Gibson SG with nickel strings with a wound G. The guitar sounds like I always wanted it to sound. Tone isn’t in the fingers. It’s in the strings. Epiphany.

The real epiphany isn’t that. We all know it’s not. The epiphany is way simpler. Learn to appreciate what you have. Until you do, your appreciation for anything new will fade fast.

Now I'm really confused. Is it a Gibson SG or an Epiphany SG?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Nice story, you are right.
A guy came over to do some work for me and noticed the three guitars in stands in my music room. He said do you play all three? I thought about all the others in cases in my closet. I just said yes I do. He asked how I decided on those three, two were telecasters. I said you play them and they tell you. I was sort of lying and trying to sound sage like. However, I think it may be true, some just speak louder than others on a given day/week/month/year/lifetime.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Apology accepted. 😎

Its all the same.
I keep adjusting the bridge and action on this economy Chinese model and practicing.
It pretty much sounds the same no matter what I try.

0403221425.jpg

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Amen Brother!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Nice story, you are right.
A guy came over to do some work for me and noticed the three guitars in stands in my music room. He said do you play all three? I thought about all the others in cases in my closet. I just said yes I do. He asked how I decided on those three, two were telecasters. I said you play them and they tell you. I was sort of lying and trying to sound sage like. However, I think it may be true, some just speak louder than others on a given day/week/month/year/lifetime.

It was kind of disappointing, I'd hatched up this little plan in my mind, that if I ever got the chance I'd wrangle that Tele out my BIL. Then... It was just kind of an anticlimax! Oh well, I've bought a lot of golf drivers and putters with the same feeling when it was over. At least this time I got stopped before my wallet made a lunge outta my pocket!!