Just Add Color

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by The Real Jake, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:35 PM.

1. The Real Jake

The Real Jake TDPRI Member

In hopes this doesn't get bumped to another Forum of deleted by the administrator (the TDPRI people police this thing intensely), here's what I'm doing:

I'm going to paint my bridge pickup and

just thought I'd ask

if there is conventional wisdom as to what kind of paint to use. Obviously, I don't want to damage or impair the functionality of the pickup. Also, might want to remove or paint black over it someday if I ever replace it and want to sell it. Not everyone is going to be looking for a Blue - Blues Special...

-TRJ

2. Beebe

Beebe TDPRI Member

You could go with an overlay instead. I think this would be a more typical route. Though I do like the idea of painting it and preserving the texture on the flatwork. I'd probably spray white shellac based primer in really light coats until the black is just hidden but not completely. And then a really light coat or two of whatever blue spray paint you like. Top that off once cured, with a misting or two of clear/light shellac.

3. Beebe

Beebe TDPRI Member

...oh and if you want to try to clean it off one day, spray some clear shellac on the flatwork before the white primer. And I should note I have no experience in doing this myself. But if your flatwork is typical fiberboard it should be resistant to solvents like the alcohol in shellac... Or the alcohol you use to try to clean it off.

4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Paint a piece of paper and glue it on with spray adhesive.

5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i use paint that is used in model plains/ships/cars like humbrol, revell, Talens.
    in the hobby world there is a kind of rubber that you can apply easy and rub it off later so where the rubber is no paint will go.

i did this guitar with black acryl Talens hobby paint and later on rubbed a little copper wax on the creme bridge and middle pickup and only some copper wax on the neck pup.

[​IMG]

as i remember humbrol/revell model paint is not water based but white spirit, so this could be more aggressive.
    https://us.humbrol.com/catalog/pain...fmxYKrCqmMMkLw1L6O14kYyTftWFFwjz9Dn1X9jtVF3Xg
    Talans hobby acryl is water based
    https://www.royaltalens.com/en/products/deco--craft/indooroutdoor/?productCode=4234P

ore metallic
    https://www.royaltalens.com/en/products/deco--craft/metallic/?productCode=4243P

good luck!

6. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The easily applied rubber stuff hopdybob speaks of is called liquid frisket. Art stores carry it, mostly for use with watercolors.

old wrench likes this.
  7. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

8. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Are you trying to paint a raw pickup, or a pickup cover?

If its a raw pickup, chances are it's been wax dipped, which means almost nothing will stick to it as its saturated with wax.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.