Just about finished my Squier Bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FenderGyrl, May 19, 2019.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I pretty much finished up modding my Squire Bullet. Its been a fun project. I wanted to not get carried away cost wise. However, I did want to make a Tele that was different from my other guitars. I decided to go for a Texas Blues sound.

I thought about doing the Bubba Mod to this one. I have some barrell saddles and did a Bubba Mod on my Squire Affinity BSB. While looking thru my parts box I found some brass saddles that I've had since the 90's. They were the right size, so I went with them. I found some decent Squire tuners in my parts box. I also had the marble pickguard which lined up without any additional work.

I played this guitar for a week before I broke it down. Sure wish that you could get a decent guitar like this one for little cash when I started playing as a youngun. Wow..

I sanded the back of the neck smooth. I put a Fender logo on the headstock.
    I replaced the nut with a Tusk Graphite. I did a fret level. I put a drop off on the upper frets.

I ordered some Tele Texas Blues PUPS from DragonFire. $50.
    I did rewire the guitar with some CTS audio and linear taper pots. Added a Bumble Bee cap and a new switch. I did my final set up on it yesterday. Have it set to Fender factory specs. I have a new string tree to put on it...a barrel style one.

So,
    I have $130 guitar cost- $50 Pickup Cost -$20 Electronics:
    $200 invested out of pocket. Not including cost of parts I already had. Worked on it for the last few weekends. I have a Red Sparkle one on back order from G.C.
    Thinking that I might mod that one with a Hip Shot set up that Ive had for a few years.

20190519_161820.jpg 20190519_161840.jpg 20190519_161939.jpg 20190519_161954.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So good to get MORE out of a guitar by doing a thoughtful set up & carefully chosen component swap.

Others have to send their cash to the Custom Shop...

3. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. FenderGyrl

Thanks guys.
    :D:p;)

The Texas Tones are not bad PUPS. Punchy mids and strong bass bottom, I now have a setting saved on my Boss Katana 50 Watt for this guitar. Once I thought about the description of the PUPS...I got a really nice setting saved. Based my main sound off of both pups running together. Then ended up with a really good neck and bridge sound too.

Interesting thing,
    I dropped the PUPS in it last week with the original electronics.

I wasn't digging the Texas Tones at all.

Once I got the new electronics in it this weekend....wow. :cool:
    Difference of night and day. Good pots and caps make such a difference.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    jimilee, 8barlouie, preactor and 3 others like this.
  5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Looks great!

FenderGyrl likes this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

FenderGyrl likes this.
  7. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I gave you a “Like”, but putting a Fender decal on anything that’s not a Fender?

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Those are nice guitars.

Two mods I'd continue on it:
    -4-way switch
    -rotate the control plate for V-T-Switch to the back.

...Maybe do that for the red sparkle on back order (insert evil grin here).

FenderGyrl likes this.
  9. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

You have enough room there to replace those sealed tuners with some vintage-style ones. I don't understand why, having the neck down to bare wood, you didn't take a little time to give it some color, maybe a light vintage tone?

Overall, great looking axe, love those classic colors! You did one heck of a job!

FenderGyrl likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks good, money well spent.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  11. FenderGyrl

The guitar has settled in nicely. Increased the neck relief ever so slightly. I tend to play kind of agressive at times. :p

Next on the list...shielding! I got some sheilding with conductive adhesive. I'll do this guitar when the next string change happens.

Lets see... I'll respond to some posts.

About the Fender logo...
    I couldn't find a Squire water slide decal anywhere?

So...it said Fender Bullet on the face..I hated the way it looked...decided to just drop the word Fender on it.
    I purposely left the Squire neck plate...and put Squire tuners which have the word Squier engraved on them.
    The tuners are from a Vintage MIJ Squier I used to have.
    They are really smooth.

I have sets of Vintage tuners. TBH...I don't care for them.

Also...I wanted to raid my parts box as much as possible for this mod project. Tried to let the guitar speak to me regarding what kind of player it would be. I think I nailed this one. The brass saddles and the Dragonfire Texas Tele pups...rosewood board and tusc nut...it just works. Warm clean throaty To jangly overdrive.
    I'm digging this guitar.

When I smoothed the neck finish...I didn't totally remove the finish. The color doesn't bother me. While I do like the amber color on a neck, I wanted to spend more time on fret leveling and dressing.

I just finished my first Tru Oil with amber tint job on another project neck. I did really well on it!
    I have a Dbl Cutaway LP Jr that is going to get a Tru Oil finish. ;)

I used to flip the control plates on my Tele's, but now I prefer the switch closer. I went back and forth about buying the Texas Tele pups with or without the wiring for a 4 way switch... Decided to just go standard wiring on this one though.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!
    Sincerely, FG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Ducerro, Chunkocaster and preactor like this.
  12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

That looks really good.

I did the brown shoe polish trick on the neck of my affinity tele and it took just enough of the paleness out to be really pleasing for very little effort... and even less money!

FenderGyrl likes this.
  13. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

A good setup makes any guitar a joy to play! There used to be a sticky by Ron Kirn on how to fret level your tele. Really useful information if it's still available, and not hard to do.

But isn't this what us Squier owners are all about? Get a cheap guitar and set it up right. Then find out what pups sound best in it and proudly play it alongside more expensive guitars. The whole experience is very rewarding in terms of the skills gained and knowledge acquired, along the satisfaction of a job well done!

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love that combination of the marble pickguard and the body color. Is that an oem color? I like it.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  16. FenderGyrl

It's the Surf Green Color they offer.
    Just buffed it out.

Ron Kirn gave me the confidence to start fret leveling.
    However, I'm not as fast as he is!
    Takes me all day to do one.
    :eek::cool::D

8barlouie likes this.
  17. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

It's a thrill when you need that peculiar part and you realize you have it in a jar or in a box somewhere.... Oh the joy of NOT having to go online for it! :D

preactor and FenderGyrl like this.
  18. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Great satisfaction in making this your own "custom" model.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  19. tschwicht

tschwicht NEW MEMBER!

Hey everyone, new to the forum! After many attempts to play in the past I picked it up again a few months ago and have been sticking with it. Having a 6 year old that wants to learn with you really helps. Picked up a bullet tele (surf green) open box at MF for ~$100. Was looking for an affordable guitar to try to do mods on and learn about that instead of tearing apart my new Fender Duo-Sonic :) It's such a nice looking guitar!

Research has been fun checking out what people put into the guitars, and just learning what is inside of them. I am trying to do the best upgrade for the most economical price possible for when I screw it all up. I was wondering, for those of you that have one of these, what electronics were already inside yours?

I looked at CTS pots but decided I'd go with alpha 250k pots to save a little on costs (not a huge price difference on pots but don't need to buy new knobs either). I was surprised to find when I opened mine up that there were clearly labeled Alpha 250k pots already installed! One thing down. I have read many places that these guitars usually have unbranded 500k pots in them. I was wondering if anyone else had the same thing stock.

I also wondered about the cap. This guitar had a .033 cap installed. I had planned to put an orange drop .022 and still might but was wondering what everyone else had in theirs stock. This doesn't seem like what would come stock in these from what I've read.

Since it's open box, I wonder if someone else did some mods but returned it. The guitar wasn't brand new (no plastic or anything on it) but still in pretty much flawless condition.

The other mods I'm going to do other than maybe the orange drop .022 cap are a new switch and switchcraft jack, and some alnico 5 telecaster pickups I found on Amazon for around $23 that have some decent reviews. And of course I have a new parchment pearl pickguard coming tomorrow to give it a little personal flavor. But it sounds pretty good right now to my tonedeaf ears so not sure if I'll do those right away or not. I really wanted to do the pots and cap, but having the alpha 250k there already seems like I don't need to worry about that.

Appreciate any info you can provide about what came with your squier bullet teles particularly the new surf green model, and any thoughts on mods or things I should do with this model. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  20. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Here is what the stock electronics looked like in mine (bought July 2017, looks to be manufactured 2016). It has a rosewood fretboard and not what they've been putting on newer ones. I swapped all the electronics for a set from Amazon that had a CRL switch, CTS 250K pots, cloth wire, orange drop .047 cap, and switch tip for less than $30 which was great. I also put in some Pure Vintage '64 pickups. I spent a lot of time working the frets and filing the nut to near perfection. The thing really plays and sounds outstanding now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    FenderGyrl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.