Just a pair of boots…

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I love that boot rack.
My daughter has a couple of horses, one rescue horse and a retired steeplechase male that she's had for 12 years which means it's about 21 y/o.
She taught my granddaughters how to jump fences before they had even started school.
We've an abundance of horseshoes and riding boots and that rack has given me an idea.

As for boot repairs, the choice is appalling now, there's one traditional cobbler left in Glasgow and everything else are those awful heel bars.
I've taken to using online cobblers for big jobs like resoles or zip replacement and the price has gone up dramatically.
I tend to bite the bullet and pay the online prices because new seems either very expensive or a compromise in the leather quality.
One pair of my boots that I paid £200 for 25 years ago now cost twice that to replace, but the bootmaker (Joseph Cheaney) does a total rebuild for about £100. I last had that done about 5 years ago and it was like getting a new pair all over again with the added bonus of the uppers retaining their battle scars.
I've a few pairs of boots older than my kids and even my Converse (US bought) are 10 years old.

I imagine the quality of the leather goods will still be good if you live in the lone star state.

Well, whenever that project idea for horseshoes is done, remember the oft repeated TDPRI dictum: "Pics, or it didn't happen." Applies to more than just guitars.

I hadn't even thought about looking for online cobblers. I don't know why not; I've bought boots online. Thanks for the idea. I'll give that a try.

Yeah, you can get a good quality pair of boots in Texas. Of course, many of them are out of my price range. The boots I've bought online were Tecovas. My current Sunday-go-to-meetin' boots (wore 'em just this morning) are a pair of Jacksons by Tecovas: calfskin, leather sole, square toe, hybrid heel, 12" shaft. They were priced around $250 a year and a half ago. A fair price for the quality, AFAIC. Shoot! They even threw in a matching belt on the deal.

I've never owned a horse, and Granddad never had horses on the farm, at least not by the time I was born. So I haven't ridden very much in my life. I enjoy it, though.

1666552564572.png

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I love that boot rack.
My daughter has a couple of horses, one rescue horse and a retired steeplechase male that she's had for 12 years which means it's about 21 y/o.
She taught my granddaughters how to jump fences before they had even started school.
We've an abundance of horseshoes and riding boots and that rack has given me an idea.

As for boot repairs, the choice is appalling now, there's one traditional cobbler left in Glasgow and everything else are those awful heel bars.
I've taken to using online cobblers for big jobs like resoles or zip replacement and the price has gone up dramatically.
I tend to bite the bullet and pay the online prices because new seems either very expensive or a compromise in the leather quality.
One pair of my boots that I paid £200 for 25 years ago now cost twice that to replace, but the bootmaker (Joseph Cheaney) does a total rebuild for about £100. I last had that done about 5 years ago and it was like getting a new pair all over again with the added bonus of the uppers retaining their battle scars.
I've a few pairs of boots older than my kids and even my Converse (US bought) are 10 years old.

I imagine the quality of the leather goods will still be good if you live in the lone star state.
Sorry to hear about the lack of cobblers in your area.
Although there are a few shoe repair places within 5-10 miles of me I have no problem driving 30 miles north near my Brother's place or the same distance East. In both directions there are a bunch of Amish Folks who do top notch shoe/boot repairs and of course any leather work that you want done. The last time I had some Browning Kangaroo skin boots re-soled around 10 years ago the bill was something like $25. I told him no and gave him $45 and we were both tickled.

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I could take this same picture every four years. The last pair I wore out had holes in the uppers, a first. I obviously waited too loo long to order another pair. Warning: Red Wing cannot make a prediction on when back-ordered styles will be available. The last new pair was ordered on June 10th and still not shipped at the beginning of October. The store checked with other stores and found me a pair in stock in Dayton.
IMG_3009.JPG