Just a little rant about my bank getting sold.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by raito, Aug 22, 2016.

1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the bank that I use got sold. Years ago, I only got an account there because they were financing the builder who built my first house, and it was a good deal because of it. I saw it coming, though. If a bank has a decade of losses followed by 2-3 years of profit, it's getting bought.

So the bank got sold, but I now have a checklist of about 20 things I have to do because some company that's not me got sold. Shoot, I even have to diddle with my direct deposit.

And naturally, the new bank has higher fees and thresholds. On everything.

Since I have to essentially re-do everything, I think I'll see where I can move all the accounts to. The real zinger will be trying to see if I can move the mortgage without having to refinance it. In theory, whoever owns it currently could be OK with having someone else service it. And a new financial institution could be fine with taking over the servicing (they get paid, after all). It's really just some database entries. Still, I'm not hoping for much. It's a toss-up whether the

What I really dislike is all the ridiculous pap about how it's a 'merger', and they're new 'partners'. Sorry, marketing guys and execs, when your own paper says in the fine print that my old bank is now a division of your bank, they got bought. Why not admit it? We're not that stupid out here.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an account at a bank that was owned and had the name of my previous employer, and they got bought out a couple years ago. That was relatively painless, but it can be a pain, for sure.

I am liking some credit unions more and more these days, and I am taking a second look at faceless things like Ally, also

You are right, it is an insult to the consumer's intelligence, in how they often try to spin these things

PacificChris likes this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

My bank was recently sold. So far nothing has changed much. A couple of faces that are new, but they work in the back offices. I'd hate to change banks. Mine is close, they know me, very friendly, & I detest the other banks here.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

We've been at our local Credit Union since we've been married (almost 26 years) and my wife was there before that. We almost never need to show an ID and they know us on first name business. Benefits of a smaller town I guess. I probably don't realize how good I have it

5. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

The original bank that I have my IRA in, has been sold 3 times in 35 years.

Steve

6. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

My wife had worked for Wells Fargo in Maryland for 15 years, in their IT department.
    Wells Fargo bought a smaller mid-western bank, that had a similar IT department in Iowa.
    Since the salaries of the Iowa IT workers were less than their Maryland counterparts.
    Wells Fargo closed their Maryland IT section, and put all their long term employees there, on the sidewalk.

Steve

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Banks come and go around here like revolving doors. Now, my insurance company (home and vehicles) who we have been with since the 70s has changed hands, just got the notice the middle of last week. Same old stuff, nothing has changed good buddy, don't you worry yourself not even a little bit. Oh yeah, nothing is changed except you aren't the same company anymore? We'll see when we get my bill in December. THAT will tell the tale.

8. Toto'sDad

Change is in the air. I can see the day coming down the line when something that is an antique will be something that was built with fine foreign craftsmanship as long ago as last week.

troy2003 likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My bank is one of those "no bricks or mortar" businesses.

I remember when banks were these huge granite piles that you entered and automatically we started talking in whispers. I was actually in my old home town last week. The old bank building is empty and boarded up.

xafinity likes this.
  10. blowtorch

You certainly seem to have faith in your "virtual" bank. I hope that works out well for you ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

Well, so far it has answered my, well, prayers isn't the right word how about entreaties? More than I can say for some other concepts!

12. blowtorch

"entreaties" are always answered, just some times not in the manner that we would expect or prefer.

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You don't buy assets, you buy companies that have profitable assets. Then you can remove the redundancies and charge higher fees for being smart about reducing costs.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I can see a HUGE advantage in being able to talk to a nice man in India for hours, and hours when something goes wrong at the bank. I enjoyed that experience so much when I was with dish, I PAID the penalty to stop dealing with them. If I have to deal with anyone on a regular basis that I can't talk to in person, I get another whatever it is to take their place that I can. Even my cell phone, I buy a monthly card at Walmart, I paid 50 bucks for the phone, if it takes a dump I can throw it away and get another one for 50 bucks and a monthly card. I go to the store and BUY my card every month.

If AT&T were the only phone service on the planet, I would go off the grid, and just not have a phone. I could use all the useless paper work that they used to send me to make a fire and send smoke signals for at least two years.

xafinity and Bellacaster like this.
  15. blowtorch

Sir, we are impressed! :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Yeah, they have 'em on aisle three. Fixed it. :oops:

17. blowtorch

I knew whatcha meant ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

Then you need to change banks. Uh, we are talking banks?

19. Toto'sDad

Writing about doing real life business by phone or on the net makes twiterexaspertated.

20. Toto'sDad

That is exactly what I expect anytime anyone I do business with changes hands in ownership.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.