Jupiter’s Official Unofficial 2012 Challenge Build Thread (Electramaster Content)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 28, 2012.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure it'll show up..............when you least expect it :p

I wouldn't worry about that trem. When regularly employed, I buy strings in bulk, in lots of 10. At least one, in most packs do that, especially in the plain steel strings. The rest are always tough as nails :)

2. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

If it happens again, find that ball and slip it over the new string before you put it on. I had a similar problem with an old harmony tailpiece-- the metal was too thin to really "round" enough so that the string wasn't being pinched there. After breaking 4 sets of 11s I figured something needed to be done.. I would have drilled larger but I figured if the ball wasn't centered on the hole it would create the same issue. The extra ball seems to allow the loop to remain unpinched.

3. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

I've had that happen occasionally, exactly the same way. Not all strings are created equal. Another really weird one was on some strings we got for a low price. Those would untwist under pressure, going flat and eventually the ball end would just fly off. String didn't break, just wouldn't hold. I ended up tying the string into the ball, and placing a second ball on the string prior to restringing (with the same strings. Those didn't last long. No bargain there.

4. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Very enjoyable read. took me all night and i thought you would never finish ;) nice one ! looks lovley. How about a utube vid....

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Awesome guitar, and I still think those are some of the sexiest contours on the forum. Personally I like the ding, every guitar needs a ding somewhere, makes them less stressful to gig, less worry when you leave them on stage on a wobbly stand too.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I just gigged with this guitar for the first time, after taking it to about 7-8 rehearsals, and the dang thing has weathered considerably! I got more chips in the body, with NO memory of bonking into anything, and the part where my forearm rests is puckering up from my sweat. I'm not particularly precious about guitars, but this one wasn't really designed to be reliced so easily. I think I'll re-cut the body from a better blank at some point, and have it painted at an auto-customizing shop. Sort of dreading all the sanding that's gonna entail....

7. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Looks like the typical Kahler tremolo string break. I even had this already once on my home made "Kahler wanna-be". Your trem got infected!!!! :lol: Alot of Kahler users are soldering the brass ball to the B and high E string. I tried that and like a miracle doesn't break anymore (so far). But who wants to mess with that in an ongoing basis.. :lol:

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

It is becoming well used. As it should be!

9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Hey Jup for what it's worth, I was dissappointed with how my first guitar was wearing, I didn't use lacquer and I had no idea what I was doing. Unfortunately I tore it all apart and stripped the finish off and it just sits there now. Years later I really wish I hadn't done that, I would like to still have my first guitar in all it's glorious imperfectness. Sounds like you will keep yours and cut a new one but hopefully you keep this one intact.

10. Jupiter

Thanks guys!

Lost 2 more high e's a day apart last week; I must be heavy-handed. :lol: They seem to have broken behind the roller bridge this time....

It's becoming well-worn before it's well-used, which isn't a disaster, but indicates that the paint wasn't fit for purpose. Maybe I sanded the vinyl sealer too smooth for the paint to stick to it. I gotta say that I expected auto paint to be tougher-wearing. :confused:

Well, if I cut a new one, I'd cannibalize all the parts offa this one. But now you got me wondering if I'm too unsentimental.... In any case, the new one'd be cut and painted before I took this one apart, so there'd be much less chance of it not getting all finished.

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jup. It's a beautiful design and it deserves a bother/sister!
    You should pull a Leo and re-visit it with upgrades and things that you think the original should have. Or pull a gibby and make a reverse...
    Clearly the bridge can stay on #1 if you're breaking strings so easily.
    Looking forward to that build thread!

12. Jupiter

I wouldn't actually change anything, outside of gluing the blank together well and putting a more durable paint on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.