Jupiter’s Official Unofficial 2012 Challenge Build Thread (Electramaster Content)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 28, 2012.

1. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Well worth the time & effort you put into it. It looks awesome!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh, fer cryin in a bucket.

image-2996773762.jpg

It's been finished for 16 hours. I just dropped my nut vise on it.

:lol: and :cry: and :mad:

3. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I know how you feel! Already two dings in my Firebird and I haven't even Buffed it!!!

Anyway, this is really an amazing guitar! looks so stunning! as for the nut, you really took your time on that! I usually make mine up in about 45 minutes... then I notice I cut it with way to much neck relief and have to make another one. :oops:

Great looking guitar, and I'd LOVE to hear it!!! What is this magical micromesh?

4. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

You can't put up with that, you will have to build another one!

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's is absolutely brilliant, fun, and rockin'. Fantastic job on design and execution.

That's the beauty of the guitars I build. Stuff like that makes them look better :twisted:.

6. Jupiter

Strategic error. :lol:

Coulda been worse, but it's pretty bad: right on the contour on top, and took out a chunk of wood, too. I'll see it all the time, and it's a bit of a tricky place to fix. Can't just drop-fill it; it'll have to be shaped afterwards.

Well, I really think now that at some point I'll sand it right down and take it to a car shop to be candy coated. Or more likely, I will in fact re-make the body from another blank. This body has a lot of issues, actually.

But it won't be this year, or probably next year either. Too many other things to do. Got this sparkly thing to make, and I need a bari, and a DC LPJr., and....

7. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Great build Jupiter , great thread too ! Sorry for the ding .

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:

Been there ;)

FWIW, I'd just sand in a slightly bigger roundover, transitioning to the current one as it approaches the body, feathering it into the current paint. Then tape it off and touch it up. It can be done ;)

9. Jupiter

I dunno, Dave; in my mind the lines are perfect and cannot be altered. ;) The fix will more likely involve a glob of epoxy wood putty. I've got just the stuff for it, but I think a whole paint do-over is going to be called for when it's time to fix it; this paint is just too dang fragile. I can't believe people paint their CARS with this stuff. Some day, after I've played it a while, I'll re-do it.

And I will make it bullet-proof. :cool:

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Absolutely glorious guitar Jup! As far as the divot goes, every played guitar loses its virginity sometime. It's just this one happened a little too quickly. I understand. I have an idea. Would the divot be a cool spot for a planet or satellite inlay?

Rob

11. Jupiter

Thanks Rob. Sadly, I don't think so; it's right on the edge. I'm already over it and on to the next thing. It's not huge, it's not even the first chip (though it's the first wood crunch), and I just think I'm gonna lose paint off this almost every time I pick it up from now on, so I can be philosophical now. I kinda scared my kids when it first happened though. :eek: I did manage to not cuss somehow, but I roared like a stuck bear. :lol:

12. Jupiter

B, you gotta get micromesh pads. Google it. You can get 'em from Amazon. They are sanding pads that are made with this kind of cloth that lasts a long time, doesn't load up easily, and be washed out with water, and they come in insanely fine grits. Great stuff for buffing up a neck, polishing frets, knocking the hard edges of the headstock, etc. etc. Get the assortment.

Well, I'm already building another something. :cool:

Thanks Herb. It was a fun thread to write. I don't think I'll go as nuts on the next thread; I probably spent half as much time on the thread as I did on the guitar. :lol:

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Play it, enjoy it, it will attract other booboos, it just sucks that the first one was so soon. Bet after a while you don't even notice it, and won't think the fix is worth the effort. Me, I'd be watching the little rocket ships fly up the neck, clear on the other end of the guitar!

14. Jupiter

Mostly I only see the side dot markers. :lol:

15. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I cant say how great this guitar looks!

Lovely, lovely.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ah,

The Stuck Bears, another great band name! Has kind of constipational overtones..........

Rob

17. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

I do that occasionally, but my kids are too old now to get scared. The dog, however, slinks out of the room whenever I go off. Then I feel bad :(
    Sorry about the ding - it sucks, but it's good you've moved beyond it.

john

18. JeffPBlues

JeffPBlues Tele-Holic

It looks excellent! Very, very good job. Sorry abou the accident. I did pretty much the same thing though. Dropped my first re-fin right on the concrete garage floor. Messed it up good. :oops: The air definitely turned blue right then.

19. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Such a nice job Jupiter! Sorry about the ding. Like everyone else said, it's the first of many more to come. Don't feel too bad about it.

Cant wait to read your next installment!

20. Jupiter

Well, that's a new one....

image-3541397384.jpg

Sorry for the grainy pic; it's a low-light, tightly-cropped iPad photo. :neutral: I was playing this guitar tonight and doing little chord shimmers with the wang bar, and suddenly "ping!" I lose the e string. I don't break a lot of strings, but I don't think that in almost 30 years of playing I've ever had one let go right at the ball end. Granted, these strings underwent some stress while I was setting my action and intonation and the nut slots and all that, but I hope there's nothing funky about the way the strings sit in that GFS vibrato unit.... And I wonder where that little piece of brass flew off to. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.