1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Junk pile...treasures or trash?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Mar 30, 2012.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

A good friend of mine works at a garbage hauler's transfer station. He keeps a list of goodies I am looking for. A couple weeks ago he brought me a Peavey Rage amp (resoldering the input jack brought it back to original working order). Last week it was a Strat copy in pretty tough shape but with some useful parts for some future projects. He called tonight to tell me the organ I had on my "shopping list" came in today. I have been hoping to do an amp build based on an organ.

We went out to check it out... it was a Hammond but a newer one so the amp was solid state. I did salvage the spring reverb, the internal Leslie speaker mechanism and the main speakers.

Now what? Could this reverb tank be used to make an outboard spring reverb effect? The speakers already have a project waiting for them but this reverb would be cool if it were useful.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

What kind of speakers were in it?

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

you will have to find the part number on the spring unit, and check that part for specifications. There are a whole lot of different parameters for a simple spring-reverb unit - you will be surprised!

Not all spring units are designed to be driven by a tube/reansformer like the Fender design.

4. RollingBender

The reverb unit has the following stenciled on the top (how it was oriented in the organ):
    121-000131
    30 154 74

The chassis is stamped:
    23572-0

The circuit board has:
    124-000166
    and
    023-044507

Don't know what kind of speakers these are but they must be really good if Hammond used them:D

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      82.4 KB
      Views:
  5. BobbyZ

Hammond used Jensens in some stuff. Don't know what you have there. You can google "speaker codes" and a few sites with codes and info will come up.
    But if thay sound good who cares what thay are right.

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Anybody know much of the Lowrey Magic Genie 98? It is SS but it has two 12" speakers in it. Was wondering if they are worth anything for guitar. Tried searching for information with no luck.

7. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

If the speakers and Alnico, then they are most likely going to be great. If ceramic, it is a crap shoot.

8. BobbyZ

I hear you man ! I'll see an organ on craigslist for cheap or free but most times it's a drive. Be nice to have an idea if it's worth the drive.
    One tip. On a Thomas organ that said SOLID STATE it had a nice little tube amp inside( 2-EL84s). I was trying to see the speakers when I spotted the tubes. Speaker was a CTS 12". The tone generator was SS so I didn't get the 30 or so 12au7s.:lol:
    I bet thay only made them that way for a short time so I wouldn't drive to far to look at one.

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

See that circuit board on top of the reverb pan? That's drive and recovery. You don't just have a pan, you have a complete freestanding reverb unit. All it needs is power and you can find that on the main amp.

The way Hammond designed and then patented reverb... they usually ran the reverb out to its own dedicated "reverb" speaker. It's functionally dis-similar to the Fender reverb we all know and love.

Speaker is likely '70s Heppner. Roll 'er over, I'd bet on a whizzer cone. Whizzers aren't popular for guitar because they add a little "ice pick" edge to the top end. I like 'em to brighten up a dark amp. Same reason people buy Blue Dogs and Blue Pups, both relatively bright speakers.

10. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Never fender, but a number of companies built reverb amps with separate amps and speakers, Gibson and I think Amped come to mind. So I would think doing it the Hammond way would not be a show stopper.

We really shouldn't be talking about wizzer cones, as long as there is a prejudice against them, the price stays down.

11. RollingBender

Well that certainly sounds like "treasure" to me!

Problem is, by now the rest of that organ has probably been ground under the tracks of a crawler loader.

I found this on another board while Googling the numbers I listed...

Sure like to find some sort of schematic so I could build a stand-alone reverb out of this thing.

12. BobbyZ

Good plan to have a spy at the dump by the way.
    Talking to an accordion player last night about tube amps. He worked for a company that made tube PAs and such back in the day and was there when thay went to solid state.
    Anyways he tossed his Poly Tone amp because no one works on tube amps anymore !

Then he asked about my Ampeg. I told him it's a 62 that didn't work when I got it.

13. printer2

I remember having some Marsland 12" speakers in the late 70's that were alnico and sounded like crap. They might have passed for a woofer in a two way system or as a bass guitar speaker but they were not all that efficient. I might be able to get the organ for $35-40 at a thrift store, but if the speakers have no top end I might as well just put the money towards a WGS 12" that is made for guitar. If I found one good report on them I would take a chance.

14. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

Every organ I have dismantled has either had Rolas or Oxfords. Baldwin sometimes used Utahs. most of these speakers are ok for low power guitar applications, but they're getting harder to find in good condition.

15. printer2

Anyone know the manufacturer of the speaker code here? Speaker numbers.

985 021082
    189608D

16. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

17. printer2

Been there already but thanks. Tried a few other sites but I could not find a number that matched.

18. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

My next door neighbor has a Lowrey Organ from the early sixties that stop working a couple of years ago. I opened it up - 48 tubes (8 12AX7's), tons of capacitors and two 12 inch speakers. We worked all day trying to get some sound out of it and now he wants to get rid of it.

19. RollingBender

I looked up the speaker codes out of the Hammond... it seems to be a 1974 model based on the speakers. The 12" is a Rola, the 6" is a Quam-Nichols, and the 8" in the Leslie unit is a Mystery. My best guess on the Leslie speaker is that it's a Comswyth... I've heard people say, "That Hammond organ Comswyth Leslie speaker" :lol:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  20. RollingBender

Back to the reverb....

Based on the info I found and posted in post #11, could this be supplied with a couple jacks for connection and an 18v power supply and I would be good to go putting this into the effects chain before the amp? There is mention in what I copied into the post of some controls... I can follow a schematic but as far as putting something together based on theory and verbal instructions, I'm lost.

Anyone here "been there and done that?"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.