Junior-esque Type Build

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
Hi! I thought I would post my current in progress build. It is a Jr style, but will be built in my own way.
The wood for this instrument comes from a house constructed in 1940, so it is roughly 80 years old Pine.

Thickness was 2.25". Normally I thickness with a hand plane, but half an inch is a lot to hog off by hand, so into the router sled it went.
routersled.png

At which time I encountered one of the joyous moments of working with reclaimed wood.
hiddenmetal.png

Yes, that is metal. I removed everything I could find, and went over the body with a rare earth magnet, but you just never know until you start working the wood. Thankfully it was small and posed little issue. I will leave it and work around it.

After thicknessing I ran it through the table saw, then trued the joints up with the hand plane......
jointing.png

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
And start filling everything in.
epoxy3.png

I know this is supposed to be 5 minute epoxy, but the wood will sit and cure for a couple of days. I want the epoxy to get as hard as possible. Then I will remove the high spots with my plane, and sand it all smooth so we can roll on. Thanks for watching.
epoxy4.png

Last edited:

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
So, after the epoxy cured it was time to cut out and rout the body outline.
But before I did that, I made an alteration to the template.
1rt.png

After tracing the outline onto the body blank I cut it out with a jigsaw.....
2rt.png

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
My apologies for the miserably slow progress of this build thread. I'm juggling a lot of different things, including another guitar build and a speaker cab build. I appreciate those who continue to keep abreast of this thread. It is greatly appreciated.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Not taking credit at all but I cut my scarf joints by hand. So good to see you out in the Virginia woods being faithful to yourself

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
I tried years and years ago to make one of those angle cutting sleds for the table saw: my table saw came close to flying in about 7 different pieces and seizing up when I tried to use it, lol.
But I prefer a hand saw anyway, and any other hand tool that will do what I want. They are quieter, mostly leave behind curls of wood instead of microscopic sanding dust, and are fun as all heck to use.