July 14 - Shark Awareness Day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MDent77, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What is a sharks favorite bible story
    Noah's SHARK

ravindave_3600 and verb boten like this.
  2. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

My wife loves sharks. NatGeo starts SharkFest tonight, I think. Discovery starts Shark Week next weekend. I lose control of the remote for these two weeks.

I buy my wife a shark related garment each year to wear during her TV watching. She has many shirts. This year I bought her shark bikini underwear. Supposed to arrive today, but got delayed until tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll report back later this week if there is any interest in how things worked out.

I scored big points in March - took her to Newport Aquarium in Newport KY. She loved it!! Lotsa sharks there, including a Shark Walk over a tank full of sharks.

3. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

One thing gets me about Great Whites, and it's prominent in the OP pic: the "smile". When seen from the direct front, it looks like they are smiling...just before they try to eat you.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  4. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

But i support Shark Week. They are very important in ocean ecology, too bad they also (very rarely) kill people.

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not a fan/no interest. I'm already gagging at the shark week commercials. Same thing every year: Hey kids, watch as the big shark squeezes half his body through the pot metal bars on the cage that a marine biologist welded together on his back patio. Yes I know! and I will take full advantage of the hundreds of other available channels!

6. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Who's a shark's favorite musician?

verb boten likes this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I fish coastal NW FL for a couple months each spring, mostly wet wading the bay side of a 22 mile long barrier island. There are quite a few sharks and I saw enough of them close up to quit leaving fish on a stringer from my belt. It might have been the 8’ bull shark that chased six slot reds past me under my rod that gave me pause. I now drag the smaller “eaters” to shore or throw them in a scallop bag on my belt. They at least can’t swim around my legs attracting attention that way.

Only one shark really spooked me. I was about waist deep, reeling in a small mackerel and talking to my friend Marty when I looked back toward the bay and saw a 10’ bull coming straight at me, just past my rod tip. He was surely coming for the mackerel that was right there but I didn’t stop to ask and furiously backpedaled to shore, leaving one sandal in the water. I noticed Marty was already on the beach and saying “I tried to warn you!” but he must have whimpered it because I didn’t hear him. He said it was the biggest bull he’d ever seen and guessed it at least my 10’ estimate. I could actually see it’s eyes as it approached. Like this but far more ominous and close. 413113A9-DD93-4014-BDE7-F1B97546D56B.jpeg

We don’t fish for ‘em but might get a couple like this little blacktip while fishing for other stuff. Marty holding it because the kids were hesitant. 1E211241-E340-46EF-B437-33FFC7673B90.jpeg

And plenty of guys fish for them and carefully tag & release ‘em, like this small Tiger. They are cool fish if yer not dinner, and that very rarely happens. 54DC4F08-0C52-4322-868A-1F200B11B5B7.jpeg

MDent77, william tele and verb boten like this.
  8. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

More people in the water and more sharks being allowed to populate - not a good mix. Sharks will never disappear - I'd prefer they were not protected. People over animals.

Teleterr likes this.
  9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Just two days ago , my girlfriend and I went swimming several times at a Cape Cod beach (Head of the Meadow beach) without any issues. Saw plenty of seals, but nothing scary. Lots of people in the water. Yesterday at the same beach they had to get everyone out of the water on 3 occasions because of a Great White lurking around. You just never know when they're going to show up.
    Also wanted to add: the lifeguards there are seriously the real deal. This beach is part of the National Park system, so they aren't your average high school kid lifeguards that you see at the local pool. These guys were out there patrolling on a longboard, right where the seals were swimming - and where the sharks attack. A couple of times, one of 'em swam the length of the beach. Crazy - I'd NEVER do that now. But they didn't seem worried. Wow.

MDent77 and Stubee like this.
  10. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

A369624A-0072-453A-81A4-8FFAA299F1E3.jpeg Sharks are like stray dogs. They are looking to be fed but won’t bite you unless you are very stupid or extraordinarily unlucky. That’s me on the left, being stupid off Nassau.

11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I dive with sharks on a regular basis. In the 26 years I’ve lived on St Croix we’ve gone from the very rare sighting (maybe 1 every year or two) to several on each dive. The Lionfish invasion is the main factor.
    I’ve seen Black Tip, Grey Reef, Bull, Tiger, Hammerhead, Atlantic White Tip, & Nurse sharks. There was a Whale Shark sighting a week or so.
    As I told my SCUBA students the most dangerous creature you will encounter in the water is another human, besides I’ve only been fatally attacked twice. Most didn’t get the joke

Stubee and MDent77 like this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

TheGoodTexan and ravindave_3600 like this.
  13. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Amazing.

The Bull Shark is the one species I would most hate to encounter. From everything I have seen and read they appear to have the nastiest disposition of all sharks. It's worse they can navigate many rivers as well.

Stubee likes this.
  14. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Bulls are known to be aggressive
    One theory is when they navigate waters that have a lower salinity (brackish) it messes with the electrical impulses they use to feed. Bulls have been sighted as far north in the Mississippi River as Vicksburg and beyond

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've lived around the ocean all my life, surfing, sailing, fishing, etc.

I've seen all kinds of sharks from the shore, from planes or out in boats fishing... I know they're out there..

Yet, in all my years of surfing all over the planet I've never seen a shark while in the water... seen all kinds of other swimming critters big and small while surfing, dolphins, whales, mantas, orcas, big fish like barracuda even fish nipping your fingers while paddling.... never any sharks though.... just lucky I guess?...

MDent77 likes this.
  16. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

It's possible they were there but not very interested in an encounter with YOU. (a good thing) :)

In your home territory of Australia I'd fear the (box) jellyfish the most vs. other sea creatures!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    trev333 likes this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

OK, I’m scared!
    I hope none of them toothy so and so’s are swimming up the Colorado River.

18. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

You'd probably have to tape a large dorsal fin on a largemouth bass to have a possible sighting there. Heh

brookdalebill likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

go sharks! go bears!

20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I dunno. For some reason we don't observe that one in Colorado. :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.