Julian Lage, Country Blues thing fresh out of Julian's head

monkeybanana

Tele-Holic
I heard or read in an interview that they only met the day before to go over the songs/charts before recording. It's amazing how in sync they are both live and on the record. Those darn real musicians.

FMajor7add9

TDPRI Member
lovely, playful, joyful
he's almost heading for some fuzz-y tones now, never noticed that before
looking forward to his über clean Princeton-ish phase whenever that may come

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Love love love the guitar tone from 1:15 to 1:25. Dislike when it gets more aggressive. An unpleasant kind of breakup grit, ime, and the double stops make it worser.

The drums sound very present. The guitar's reverb distances the performance from the listener, if the listener is me, lol. I would say the guitarist's choice of reverb defeats the excellent recording engineer.

A shame 'coz the basic guitar tone and the dexterity and the imagination are tremendous. ime.

(Won't comment on the bass - laptop playback only - except to say he's a monster to be able to follow all that with little rehearsal)

edit to say - If the drums weren't so well-played, and recorded, I probably wouldn't nitpick the guitar. I'm enjoying Subjective Saturday.

Last edited:

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
It looks like he ditched his champ for a blackface, but it sounds like tweed overdrive? What kind of sorcery is he using for that tone?

that Collings looks and sounds great. Love JL, need to buy this record.