1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

JUGHEAD: An Archie (Archtop) w/o Pedigree

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hudsonduster, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Hudsonduster

Hudsonduster RIP Ad Free + Supporter

Back in my misspent youth I was playing baritone sax in big-band jazz venues by day & blues harp & guitar by night. Oakland CA in '69-'72 was a wonderful primordial soup kinda venue for guys like me, and the local innnercity college used to draw major players up from the LA studios - there was real money in the CA education system, then - for seminars and workshops. Among a whole load of greats (including, in '69, the entire Cannonball Adderley Quintet, for a week of concerts and woodshedding and my God everything) was Herb Ellis once, and Joe Pass twice. I wasn't near ready to hear their stuff at that time, but the vibe stuck with me. Right up to today.

So when I started making my own guitars I'd already had it in the back of my mind to do a proper jazz archtop. I asked my teacher to let me measure one of his ES-175s to work up my own instrument, and he (reluctantly, protectively) let me trace the outline.

[​IMG]

I did this on automotive masking vinyl, a hardy film with a lo-tack side that holds it in place over gentle contours like we find on a guitar's arch. Once I'd got that, I stuck the trace down to a piece of plexi and traced on that with dividers and Ship Curves to derive a clean, fair outline. If you look close, you see the notes on loci and radii for the curvy bits as well as tick marks and reference notes corresponding to which curves were used to join the arcs & where. (Don't worry, the distortion in the lower bout is a trick of the camera's position: the actual outline looks pretty darn good.)

Interesting: as careful as I was in tracing, I see the iteration I produced yielded nothing like a symmetrical body outline. The loci shift a bit here and there, the radii are different side-to-side (particularly in the upper bout: the Florentine cutaway is a whole 'nother shape - RIGHT, you Guys In The Know?) but my drafting reconciled to the tracing within the width of the Sharpies I used. The blue lnes here are the derived draft, the black lines are the remnant of my trace; and you can see where the Sharpie went under the body in the lower bout & in the waist, so I compensated with actual dimensions off the 175. I think I'm right - I'll saw & trim this out tomorrow, then check it on my teacher's guitar on Wednesday.

This outline's gonna be transferred to several sheets of ¾ birch ply, which will make up the final perimeter mold; for now, it's a be-safe clamping caul for the top & back plates on their way from Steve Holst, to clamp in place for a while to set up in their proper shape & all. Once I've secured those critical pieces, I can make up the rest of my tooling as I can afford & make time &c. &c. &c.

So I'm on the way with this build. Please, chat with me.

A link to Steve Holst, who's making me my laminated top & back: http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/lamintroduction.htm

2. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

That looks like a metric butt-load of awesomeness coming down the pike. I'm subscribed.

3. Hudsonduster

At long last, an update. I've been gathering materials and doing major homework, poring over Benedetto's / English's books as well as the Acme Guitars build thread photos & captions (darm all, I saved pics 1 thru 60 of those one day and now I can't locate the rest! Does anybody have a link to them?), and I'm just about ready to start really working here.

Here's last week's work:

[​IMG]

Based on the tracing of my teacher's ES175 I shared above, I've glued&screwed three plates of ¾" plywood and sawn out the mold; here it's waiting final smoothing. Two 3/8"-16 threaded rods hold it all together, & on Monday I'll take it back over to my machine shop to notch in another flat to take a clamp from headblock through the Florentine cutout. What else to say? I dunno. I'm practicing bending wood this weekend. Keep y' posted.

4. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

Looking forward to this build!

5. Hudsonduster

Last night I put the form picture up on my F'B page as a sort of satire, riffin' on the "Let's see how many 'LIKES' we can get with THIS!!" fashion I so love to hate: I captioned it "'Like' if you know what this is" - & shortly after, my wife chimed in with "-Casper the Friendly Ghost?-"

Ohh Guh'ness, now I can't UNsee it.

6. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

What happened to this build. I was just getting really into this thread, and the end... :(

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Hudsonduster passed away early in the year according to a TDPRI member.

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that :(.

9. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Yes , I saw a post a while back from member John Nicholas I believe mentioning Hudsonduster passing away , very sad.

10. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I just grabbed this off of Facebook....

13062862_850423605087236_934794138798087704_o.jpg

11. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

My condolences

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

It goes far too fast.

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Damn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.