Judas Priest covering Joan Baez

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by cometazzi, Jul 11, 2020.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This may not be popular here. That guitar tone helped edge me towards picking up a JCM800 type amplifier.

2. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

fantastic Priest, I love their earlier bluesier sound my favorite is Dreamer/Deceiver

3. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I used to work with a musician who was a huge Priest fan. He talked about their songwriting ability, specifically saying 'Diamonds and Rust' was one of the greatest songs of all time. He didn't believe me when I told him it was a Joan Baez song.

Ah well. It is a great song, and Priest did a terrific version of it.

LAPlayer and Doorlord like this.
  4. cometazzi

Judas Priest did cover some tunes, and IMHO they really did a great job of them. Especially this one, as well as PG's Fleetwood Mac "Green Manalishi" and Gun's "Race With The Devil". That said, they did do a whole lot of their own stuff where I will also say is a great example of songwriting in their genre. As Brian J. says, "Dreamer/Deceiver" is an awesome tune:

LAPlayer likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I actually had the Joan Baez " Diamonds and Rust" album when it came out in mid '70's. ( it got airplay on FM AOR radio stations, and I bought a lot of records...)

Besides title track, she covers Dylan, Jackson Browne, covers ABB's " Blue Sky", and does a duet with Joni Mitchell!

It was her ' rock album!' Pretty good.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

As enjoyable as the Joan Baez cover is, sadly, this The Gun song was originally supposed to be the cover song on Sin After Sin. It was decided to go with the Baez cover instead. The Gun cover is one of the most smoking things Priest ever recorded, and it would have made S.A.S. better IMO. Early Priest is the real deal. Great stuff. I am onboard with Priest up to and including Point of Entry, but the first five albums were far and away the best IMO.

7. cometazzi

I didn't know that about S.A.S. I ended up getting a CD with both on them (Race With The Devil being a bonus track, I believe). I love the tones on the guitars, and especially one of the rhythm tracks. The guitar/amp are trying so hard to erupt into feedback, and actually does in the ascending chords part. When Glenn or K.K. hits the C the amp just starts howling, even if for just a brief instant.

I really dig the Gun original too. The maniacal laughing and frenzied pace are just good fun. Priest turned it into a real hard rock tune, but Black Oak Arkansas took it a bit too far, IMHO.

I'm with you on the first 5 albums, with the first two being phenomenal, in my opinion. Rocka Rolla has some tunes on it (like Dying to Meet You) that are downright Sabbathesque, but that's probably more a sign of the times and/or coming up under the shadow of Sabbath in Birmingham. Sad Wings is solid gold end to end. Interestingly, Painkiller is a standout too, and I hope someday it will get remastered to wash all the drippy reverb and other late-80s studio artifacts off of it.

8. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Excellent. I've never heard that cover. Thanks for sharing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.