Juan vs Halifax

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ian, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

Hope everyone out there made it through ok . The Mrs and I watched it on the news , seeing our old city torn up like that , man !!!
    I'm sure Caper and everyone else out there will have tales to tell us .......when they get power back (lol ) .
    We saw all the carnage in Halifax & Dartmoth , the Public Gardens looked completely destroyed!!! All our family there are OK .
    I heard that the Paramedic who died was from NFLD , my condolences to his family and collegues.
    It is true though about Hurricane and weather warnings ; you hear soooo many of em' , and they're never like this!!!
    Lets send out our thoughts to everyone out there .
    CHEER!!!

2. rod

rod TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Halifax got pounded

The city is a real mess. Lots of folks still don't have power; there are still trees against houses and power lines are down. Trees are uprooted everywhere and have ripped up sidewalks. I can hear chainsaws right now. Point Pleasant Park is destroyed, thousands of trees gone. The Public Gardens haven't been so damaged since the Halifax Explosion.The wind peaked at 180 kilometers an hour.

I'm a sailor and was lucky that my boat is OK. Juan hit at high tide and the storm surge added at least 6 feet. Wharves broke up and boats dragged their moorings. My wife and I saw 11 boats high and dry around the Northwest Arm and there are boats ashore in Bedford and Dartmouth. Fishermen up and down the coast have lost have lost everything.

The best thing is that people have been helping each other out. It's actually been a very social time in a typical Maritime way. There have been neighourhood BBQ's and those with power have friends over for showers and hot food and drinks. People have worked together to clear yards etc. Hopefully, things will be functioning fairly normally by Monday.

3. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

I caught some footage on CBC this morning of the damage out there. Goodness! It looks really bad. I hope everyone pulls through.

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Does anybody know how hard Digby got hit???

Been seriously thinkin' about makin' the move to N.S.
    Love the Digby area. Does anyone know how they fared
    with Juan?

5. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

Hey Stan ever hear of White Mountain not far from Digby? :eek:
    Also I have some pics of the damage in Halifax, and Pictou, email me if you would like to see them. It was very sad to look at the destruction of some of the oldest trees in the city. There are some beautiful parks in that city and Juan has left quite a scar on them.

6. rod

Hi Stan. The Digby area wasn't hit hard by Juan. As far as I know there weren't any power outages or damage in that part of the province.

7. stantheman

Caper,Rod

I was seriously thinkin' about makin' the move. I found an incredible old house called Bliss' Terra about 30 minutes out of Digby, but I think the guy wants just a little too much so I'm probably here for the duration. the house is real nice (200K U.S.) but 15 rooms and no work papers makes it a little on the shaky side. if it was
    150K I'd already be there makin' a racket!

8. rod

Stan

Where is the house that you looked at buying? I know that area fairly well as I lived in the Annapolis Valley for many years.
    Your part of the States is very beautiful. Back in the late 70's I spent several weeks in Vermont studying electric guitar construction with Charles Fox who is building acoustics guitars out in California now.

9. stantheman

Rod, I have not been to see it.

I do know that it's been used as part of a commercial venture (selling art) and that it's right on the water on
    "the old road" which is what all you natives call it. it's a second empire style Victorian on an acre on the ocean
    which in New England is worth about 2 million but because it's so far off the path the asking price is 200K.
    I like off the beaten path, there's people, just not like in the city y'know a little elbow room, as I get older I crave
    more and more privacy but I like to be reasonably close
    to a "happening" town. I do know that it's warmer than Boston and you've got a long Spring and Fall and the soil
    is very good for planting. I love the mountains but I miss the ocean, until 5 years ago no matter where I lived
    I was within minutes of the sea or the Gulf Of Mexico.
    I miss surf fishing, it's the ultimate stress reliever !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.