1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

JP Bullets & Bones Guitar Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by djangoRobinson2, Jul 26, 2013.

1. djangoRobinson2

djangoRobinson2 Tele-Meister

Hi, I'm busy making what started out as a replica of Joe perry's Little Bighorn guitar. However its ended up slightly different and to be honest in my eyes a little better, but that may just be bi-est. Now though, its becoming a bit of a struggle deciding how true to keep it to the original.
    If you don't know the guitar at all its a LP Jr DC body, with strat style control routing and pickups.
    I like the finish and the pick-guard shape I've got, but I cant decide weather the studs will make it look better or worse. So I started messing with Photoshop for a while and knocked out some pictures to illustrate. please feel free to comment

Attached Files:

2. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I like the "stud binding" on the original, but not the initials. The studded pickguard is cool. This will look great when it's done!

3. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

I think the studs make it. Looks strange without them. Leave the JP off though.

4. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Also did you make the body, or can you get these somewhere? I bet I have enough parts in my stash to build one of these if I can get a body...

5. djangoRobinson2

got it made of ebay, you really don't want a reference, had to get him to re do it 3 times before he got it right...ish. anyway about the studs. just the guard or the whole body ? I also have dark ones and a relic speckled gold stlye one

6. djangoRobinson2

I dunno, I really feel less is more. Its not an exact replica now, more a based on guitar. I'd like mine to look darker more of a serious real world look than the original.

7. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Both body and guard for the studs. Is the guard white or light colored leather, or some other material? DId you have plans as far as hardware color? I personally think aged chrome would look better than copper colored, but that's just me.

8. djangoRobinson2

yeh I may have to go aged nickel, I did want solid brass, but its just to hard to get hold of, if it can be at all ! I may get the trem master fitted, If so I'll have to see what they offer. There is however a old charvel bridge on ebay at the moment which is dirty raw copper, it looks cool, but it would need to fit ?
    As for the guard its brain tanned suede, gonna get to work on the knobs today. They will be elk horn with a 40 gauge bullet through the middle, which will hold the inside gripper of a push on knob. I have a feeling theirs are just the tops of shells glued on, it would be easier I suppose!

9. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

The Charvel bridge would PROBABLY fit with only minor tweaking unless it's a Floyd copy, then you'd have to do some routing. I've seen Charvel (and Kramer, and Ibamez, etc) bridges that are basically 2-point Strat trems so all you'd have to do was drill the post holes.
    The shell knobs are cool, especially with horn "bodies". Can't wait to see how this turns out. What are the neck plans?

10. djangoRobinson2

Bit of an update, made a control cavity cover from the same pelt, also there's a picture of the guard from a side angle.
    In regards to the neck, I'm still deciding weather to get the gibson style, as per the original or I'm maybe fancying the warmoth take on a prs headstock ?

Either will be with a wide ebony fretboard, small frets, haven't decided on inlays yet. Got some matt black sperzel lockers to go on.

Attached Files:

11. djangoRobinson2

Sorry my bad, the charvel is solid brass, from a SAN DIMAS model ? I think. Its a lot more costly but has a nice brass block. The copper one is from an AXL telecaster, Can anyone shed any light on these two for me please?

Attached Files:

12. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES! Sorry, had to do it once your mentioned the bridge name. I would do studs all around just like the original. I think it looks fantastic.

13. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I saw a build on here where the guy inlaid just the ends of shell casings as the fret markers, that might be cool.
    And your control plate looks good. Keep on keepin' on.

Oh yeah, the bridges, I'd go for the SD one myself. There aren't any holes drilled in your body yet anyway, so either will probably work fine.

14. djangoRobinson2

Here's one, how will i remove the shaft pocket from a standard guitar pot ?

15. djangoRobinson2

there you go, studs fitted, knobs on the way

Attached Files:

16. Bwilson

Bwilson TDPRI Member

Nice. Really awesome job.

17. djangoRobinson2

Cheers and keep posted, more to come yet !

18. djangoRobinson2

Almost there, just waiting on the brass and felt to arrive for the bottoms, already cut the inside pockets from a set of push on knobs. Also with all the spare antler I'll have another set on the way afterwards

Phew, thank god I didn't let my dad get in the way though, lol.

Attached Files:

19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I think it looks amazing with the guard, but it doesn't need any more studs around the edge. That would take attention away from the terrific wood. Too much is too much.

Cool isn't the word for this, though. Amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.