Joyo Ultimate Drive Too Loud!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by steveneddy, Nov 26, 2013.

1. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

I love my Ultimate Drive - best $35 I have ever spent.

The other day I dropped it - and it still sounds good - but it is WAY TOO LOUD!!!

I can only get it to the 9:0'clock position before it is way louder than the clean channel - WAY too loud!

I know it is a distortion pedal - but if I crank up the amp for a good clean sound to be heard over the band - then step on the Ultimate Drive pedal and it is turned up past 9:00 - WAY TOO LOUD!!

What do you think I did?

I pulled the board - checked the pots and they all seem to measure correctly with no jump in resistance. All of the components look OK also - nothing loose or broken off.

I haven't checked the IC chip - I don't have a scope here.

Any suggestions?

Here's the schematic.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking you knocked one of the clipping diodes loose.

3. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

I don't see any diodes in the drive circuit.

I went ahead and purchased another one - and if it works like the first one did when I first got it then I'll use that one.

This will give me time to repair the first one.

Looking at the schematic I think it is the TL082 - but I will probably check all of the resistors - check the one diode I see that's not a rectifier diode - maybe it's Q1 or Q2 also - I don't know how to repair it or diag the issue without a scope.

:^)

4. italo

italo Tele-Meister

make sure you are not putting 12 Volts in it. Check your voltage!

5. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I've messed with my UD quite a bit. Here's a tip:
    Replace the stock 500K pot with a 100K Log pot. Note that you should use those "mini" ones, 9mm or so. That should give you unit volume at about noon.
    Diodes have nothing to do with that. Unsoldering or clipping the 1N34 diode will make the pedal cleaner tho, removing that extra fuzziness.

By the way, I don't think yours is broken, these pedals are loud - you get a lot on the first quarter turn of the pot, not all that much after that.

6. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

All GREAT suggestions.

I will wait until the replacement pedal comes and then re-evaluate whether or not the pedal is damaged. I should receive it on Friday.

If this is simply the way they are built I will determine an appropriate mod to tame the output volume a little.

It is perfect if this pedal is on all the time and you never deviate from this sound.

I love the sound of this pedal - great tone and touch dynamic in a good way.

7. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Unity volume on mine is 9:00 as well.

8. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Ah - so on to the mods to get the output volume to a controllable area of the pot.

stay tuned - more to come.

9. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

I just leave mine around 9:00 ;) ??

10. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Yup... same here... ic i really want to get crazy over the top loudn3ss, i set it to 10 pm :lol:

11. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Both pedals are the same - so I didn't break it when I dropped it.

I still feel like I need a little more control - 9:00 is plenty loud - but a crank more and it's too much over the top.

I need more fine adjustment with more pot travel.

I have given it a lot of thought - what I have decided to do is since a 500K pot is too loud at 9:00 - I will install a 250K pot - which should give me the pot travel I am wanting with a finer adjustment in the overall loudness from the pedal.

I am using this pedal live and I like it on rhythm and lead tones - cranked for leads doesn't help me on the rhythm parts - it's too loud even with my guitar volume turned down.

I would use a different pedal but I love the sound of this one - you know how it is - you find a sound you love and you gotta stick with it.

As soon as I find a 250K pot that will work in this application and install it I will post back with the results.

Another alternative would be to change R6 to a 15K to 22K resistor - but it may make the negative feedback circuit on that TL082 cause a little feedback in the circuit - and it is getting over my head there.

If nothing else works here - I have two now - I could use one for rhythm and the other for a lead sound - I'll post back with my final solution soon.

12. charvel74

charvel74 TDPRI Member

I just got this pedal yesterday and im experiencing the same thing with the volume. Anything pass 9 o clock and its way too loud vs the clean sound. Why is it in many youtube demos the volume is closer to noon or n 1 o cllock. Has any one figured this out yet?

13. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Can you still keep the pedal at unity volume at 9? If so what's the problem? Wether it's at 9 or 3 as long you can set it at unity or a little higher i dont see why it's an issue. My ARC soothsayer is very loud, it gets to unity almost right after the I turn it up from 0. But it sounds great and at least I don't have to crank it all the way up and barely get to unity like some fuzzes out there.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

You could just solder a 470k resistor across the outer lugs of the volume pot.

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a Joyo UD and I didn't like it. It is harsh and "woofy". It has very little use, an hour or so. Sadly given the price new it is hardly worth anything used.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.