Joyo Sweet Baby Tweed Champ clone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teza, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

I've haven't seen anything for less than $240.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

In the UK there are cabs for £105 with standard 8" baffle and £120 with upgraded 10" baffle. £150 for a loaded 8" cab (not sure the speaker is any 'better' than the supplied one though).

Hopefully it's OK to link for any UK readers:
    https://juketone.co.uk/empty-cabinets/

Greg2222 likes this.
  3. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

Interesting, even with shipping it might be cheaper than my US options. If they ship to the US, of course.

I certainly don't care if wood I'll never see is pine or poplar plywood.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. saltyseadog

saltyseadog TDPRI Member

That is tweed tolex in the link like Peavey amps and not tweed cloth like Fender use.

Greg2222 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Well spotted Saltyseadog...I'm sure there are some other options as I got plenty of hits with a Google search. I watched a video of someone putting Tweed on a DIY cab and he did a nice job of it. Not sure it would look as good if I did it, so maybe I'll just stick with the standard cab. :)

PS: I did my Royal Navy entrance exams in Hartlepool (I grew up in Redcar). :)

saltyseadog likes this.
  6. saltyseadog

saltyseadog TDPRI Member

The only way I knew was that I have recently finished building a new house for my Fender BJr' pics in link here http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-blues-junior-club.166192/page-69#post-9017574 and came across the Tolex Tweed in my research for materials. I eventually bought mine from Allparts. I paid £30 for the 1 x 1.5 mtr of tweed and £20 for the proper grill cloth to match. I think that was the minimum tweed order iirc but there would be enough to do 3 Joyo size amps so you could likely get your money back by reselling the remainder to other Joyo owners.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I'd forgotten about the grille cloth, plus glue and other sundries no doubt. Maybe I'll just buy a ready made Tweed cab, but more likely just leave it standard.

EDIT: Nice job you made of that BJ cab. :cool:

saltyseadog likes this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Mine came today. It was B Stock, but there isn't a mark on it that I can see, can't grumble at an extra £10 off when it's so cheap to start with. It came with a European plug on it, but luckily I got given a multi country mains adaptor that saved me having to cut the plug off and risk the warranty before I'd had chance to try it out.

I've only had my 'Esquired' 50s Classic Tel through it so far; amazing sounds though and in my echoey kitchen it sounds superb. Obviously not much clean headroom, but sweet sounds to practice through and it really benefits from playing with the guitar controls (and trying both inputs on the amp).

Sadly I have to go away for a week or so noq, which means I won't get chance to play it now, but I'll look into the various mods (C7, different rectifier, roll some pre-amp tubes I have). To be honest I'm plenty happy with the sound as it is. Sure I would have loved the Tweed covered Fender Champ model, but at £1,150 verses £139 it's hard to justify such an upcharge, especially as I have some pretty expensive amps other amps already ('64 Custom Deluxe, Marshall new 20 watt 'Plexi' and Marshall Mini Jubilee). This is different again to all my other amps and I like it's 'underdog' status.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.