Joyo Sweet Baby Tweed Champ clone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teza, Jan 12, 2016.

1. bernm

bernm TDPRI Member

Well I bought one of these just over a week ago. I'm honestly so impressed. I bought it on a whim (for cheap too - was on sale) because I've been curious to try out a Champ, and my main amp is in for repair/upgrade. Now I see what all the Champ / Sweet Baby fuss is about. So simple yet so nice.

I haven't done the cap mod (yet?). I did try running it into a 10" cabinet just to compare, but I think I like the stock 8" more.

I'm also experimenting with pedals to see what pairs well with it. So far my top 3 ODs are the KoT, Mojo Mojo and One Control Bee, in that order. I have a Red Llama clone on order (Chicago Stompworks) so we'll see how that goes too.

Anyway, thanks for this thread - it was helpful as I was deciding whether or not to spring for the Sweet Baby. I'm glad I did.

Greg2222 and Alamo like this.
  2. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

Very helpful thread, thanks everybody!

I picked up one of these new a year ago from pitbull, $199.20 shipped, and really liked it as a clean base for pedals, but I found it too loud for anything else. I got a Carl's Speaker Soak so I could get some gain out of it without wilting the plants in my apartment. Well worth it!

I swapped out the rectifier tube for an NOS GE 5Y3GT but now the amp doesn't really break up much at any volume, so I'm not sure how I feel about it. Might go back to stock. But I also ordered a cap for C7 so I'll see how I like that first.

3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I just ordered one of these too.
    Has anyone managed to get a 10 inch speaker to fit in the standard enclosure?

I'm thinking of building a new enclosure for it but would like to try the 10" first, to see if it is worth the effort.

4. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

I have it and I've built a bigger enclosure in the style of a narrow panel Princeton, with the idea to use an Alnico 10". I ended up keeping on the 8" but swapping the original speaker with a WGS G8C. It sounds great now (I only use it at home)
    Anyway, just one suggestion about the process to improve it:

1 Start playing it as-is just, to properly run in tubes and speaker and dont' forget to work a lot on the pickup height regulation (don't be afraid to go very low) and get used to play with volume and tone of your tele.
    2 test different 12ax7 (they will affect a lot its personality)
    3 test different 6v6, to get to the sound you like more
    4 test as many as you can quality 8" speaker (jensen alnico, weber, wgs)
    5 build a bigger pine cabinet (it's worth the effort)
    6 leave the 10" as the last test to do if you find you really need it

This is my set-up (original was Ruby tubes and Celestion super 8 speaker)
    12ax7 vintage NOS telefunken (branded Geloso, an italian firm of the 60s)
    6v6 Tungsol (new production)
    original Ruby rectifier
    WGS G8C speaker
    and I play with a CV Tele Blonde
    It sounds really big and with an easy break-up

Next project is to try a Jensen 10" P10R (so bad here in Italy Webers are not easily found)

here some pics of the new cabinet:

2018-11-16 19.03.54.jpg 2018-11-16 19.04.19.jpg 2018-11-18 09.59.01-1.jpg

stevemc and bernm like this.
  5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Wow! Looks great.
    Thx for all the info.
    Still interested to know if the 10 will go into the std enclosure?
    I have a slightly different idea for the new enclosure.

I'm not sure I wud spend so much money testing all the stuff you suggested (it's only a $200 amp) but I have some stuff lying around that I want to use. The Tolex will be my biggest expense.

6. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

My suggestion about components to try is of course without buying them all, but relying on things at hand, friends and bandmates support... Anyway a 10" in terms of diameter will fit the original enclosure but depth will vary from speaker to speaker. Most probably You'll have to get rid of the metal cage that protects the tubes to leave enough room for the magnet, but I think that any 10" in a so small cabinet will not express itself at its best. An easier way could be plugging the amp in a separate cabinet (or to the speaker of another amp) and get an idea of what could be the result.
    Just one word about the 200$ amp: do not underestimate it, it can pair any 5F1 kit amp that has way higher prices!
    Let us know your impressions once you'll receive it!

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Great, thx for the info.
    The 10 I want to use is a very small magnet Jensen C10R and I wud expect to remove the tube cage. I have a few tubes to try but nothing fancy (JJ's, EH n GTs) and I'll prob do the C7 cap mod.

I'm thinking of an enclosure more like an original Fender Champ but a bit bigger and with the slant front. Prob go for a vintage look but not tweed. I have some cane grill cloth left over from another job and still to decide on the Tolex colour.

8. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

Noob question here - if I have a cap with long leads do I trim them or just let the cap float out there a bit far from the board?

[​IMG]

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Trim.

Greg2222 likes this.
  10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

And the gray side/leg is the negative.
    These are directional unlike the caps in guitars.

Greg2222 likes this.
  11. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

Thanks, I would not have known that! So the positive side connects to the "C7" side I would imagine?

[​IMG]

12. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

No worries, I only know that because I messed it up first.
    It appears that the + is the closest side

Greg2222 likes this.
  13. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

Was there any adverse effect from wiring it in backwards?

Positive connects to positive?

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I just picked one of these up B Stock for £139 with free delivery. I probably need another amp like a hole in the head, but I want something compact and light I can grab to take with me to jam sessions and at college (instead of the worn out practice amps that they provide). I couldn't justify the Fender 57 Champ, as pretty as it looks, but this seems promising from this and other threads I've read tonight.

I will no doubt fit the capacitor mentioned above and may even get a replacement Tweed cab for it later, but it's hard to justify being nearly as much again as this amp cost...

Greg2222 likes this.
  15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Mine with new baffle n 10" speaker...
    IMG_20190430_193204.jpg

The C7 cap seems to make it louder and dirtier. I liked it better without, when using the std 8" speaker. I don't think the designers forgot it - just that it is better without.

The C7 works well with the 10" speaker because the 10 cleans it up too much, and the C7 adds back the dirt.

The 10 drops straight in but you need to cut the metal cage or add some other metal screen. Don't be tempted to just remove it because the tubes are very close to the back pannel and get very hot.

IMG_20190504_165435.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Greg2222 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  16. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

My two cents about C7 cap: I have tested several values and I found my "sweet spot" at 1,2uf (an axial Solen cap 400v). 0.68uf is good, too, if you want to move the breakup further, around "9".
    One thing to consider is the guitar used: I think C7 works well with single coils (I have a Squier CV Blonde). Probably with humbuckers no additional cap is needed.
    Here is a fine explanation by the mythical Uncle Doug of the effect of cap: At minute 6:40 a simulation of various values.
    If you want to make the same simulations by yourself you can go here: https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/amplifier-calculators/cathode-capacitor/calculator/

Greg2222 likes this.
  17. bernm

bernm TDPRI Member

I'm still enjoying mine, and I have not tried the C7 mod yet. Has anyone put that in and made it switchable (either in/out of the circuit, or different values)?

Also, I haven't experimented this way yet either, but has anyone tried a non-12AX7?

Just curious and thinking out loud.

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've got a few different 12..7 tubes from when I had a Blackstar amp with too much gain, so they are all lower gain types. I'll give them a try at some point though.

19. Greg2222

Greg2222 TDPRI Member

I do love a tweed cab and would probably switch it out of it was cheaper, especially since a tweed champ clone should be tweed.

BUT aside from that I actually do like the cab it comes in. Seems I'm in the minority but I think it looks sharp too.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I might buy a piece of the fabric and try re-covering the cab once I'm happy with the amp itself. This is only £17 on UK eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273768870212?ul_noapp=true If it doesn't work out, then I can buy a ready made Tweed cab, but the best I've found is about £105.

Greg2222 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.