Joyo Sweet Baby Tweed Champ clone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teza, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Meihdi75

Meihdi75 TDPRI Member

I've just bought one used and it's a great amp, a little too "dark sounding" for my usual taste (the speaker is the celestion Eight 15), so i tried to use the line out of my Fender gdec 3 thirty in the sweet baby, the difference is really night and day, i can make it sound very clear with a lot of highs or mids..., so i think that a simple equalizer before the amp is better (in my opinion) than any mod (speaker, tubes, caps...) and open so much the sound of the amp..., try it before, y ou should ne surprised... ;-)

2. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I just discovered it after becoming a BIG fan of the Sweet Baby.

I've been playing through the 'Baby for almost a year and a half. I purchased it because I wanted to get the feel of an older Champ without having to spend big bucks and I liked what I saw. To my surprise it has become a main player for me -- having just the sound I've long heard in my mind for some original stuff. -Songs, I it worth mentioning, that I wrote on a Tele but that I lately have been playing with several P90-equipped "Junior" style guitars, and even more recently with a single PUP Gibson Les Paul CM.

That combo -- the 'Baby and the CM -- are now my main players, well, apart from when I'm playing my other love -- surf music.

I've not tried the resister approach. I did try a more traditional (i.e., 'sagier') rectifier tube, but went back to the 5AR4. Joyo, I think, really did their homework on this amp.

The amp is too loud for home use even with the stock everything when played at its sweet spot. (About 8 1/2 to my ears with my guitars) but a Carl's Custom Design Speaker Soak attenuator allows me to get the exact sound I want at any volume.

I tried using a equalizer pedal but found I liked the tonal control a bit better instead using a Joyo ACTone pedal, gain neutral and with little tonal coloring. I.e., I just use it for the treble, mid and bass controls. And even there tonal adjustment is very minor.

I don't have a very recent demos of the sound, but here's one I made playing straight into the amp. No pedal or any outside control of the sound apart from a bit of reverb. The guitar is a cheapo Epi Special 1. I am using (as is my custom) only the bridge pup with everything at ten. The song is an original entitled "On and On (She Keeps Goin')."

-don

stevemc, Luvs2yoko, Besquire and 2 others like this.
  3. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Just bought one and have a question as to the ext speaker jack. So to plug this amp into an external 8ohm cab I first have to unplug the jack from the internal speaker, and then attach a cable in the second output jack, and then power on, or can both the internal speaker and external be plugged in at the same time? I read the manual, but they never make it clear to first unplug the internal speaker jack before attaching an external cab. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

BUMP.........

5. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Bump

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would not use both speaker jacks at the same time. I suppose it's either 4 Ω - or 8 Ω.
    so, switch off the amp, unplug the internal speaker, connect the external speaker to the matching Ω speaker jack.

7. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Thanks

8. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I have one of these, and agree with alamo. You can either run the amp at 8 ohms or 4 ohms.
    I dont have any experience with how the sound would be different, but if you run a pair of speakers, you can run them in parallel or series with each other. So if you have 2 8 ohm speakers and run them together in parallel, it divides the total ohms to 4and series doubles it to 16. 1515362120427.png

JDRNoPro and Alamo like this.
  9. sleazy pot pie

Dont forget to add the 25v 22uf cap to open up the sound- makes it grittier

Alamo likes this.
  10. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Just ordered the cap. Thanks

11. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

Any upate on the cap installing? I wonder if it is worth to do this as well ;)

12. sleazy pot pie

It seemed to help mine, but i also changed the tubes at the same time.

I am wondering about adding a nfb switch. Does anyone know how to do this on this amp?

I like mine plenty, but was playing it last night with a guitar i havent played in a while and it was very bassy/boomy. Looking for a way to fight this.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

13. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Stick a Joyo American Sound pedal infront of it.
    not only does it have a powerful EQ section to cope with any guitar (humbucker or single coil)
    it has the level, voice and drive section that lets you have great sounds at bedroom levels.

since this amp doesn't have any tone controls the AS is a heaven made match, imo.
    oh, ...and what the heck is a nfb switch?

14. Doug B

Doug B Tele-Meister

15. sleazy pot pie

Nfb is the negative feedback. To be honest, i am not sure what it does. I have just seen it mentioned in a ton of 5f1 build/mod threads. I like to tinker and would like to see if i can do it and what it is about.

Alamo likes this.
  16. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    Just saw this thread. Bought one of these as a GAS reliever while pursuing a bigger valve amp for home use. Still got it, always use it. Great little amp-came with an 8" EMINENCE EGTR-S108 speaker. very happy. Still haven't got the bigger valve amp, satisfied with this one.

17. smjenkins

smjenkins TDPRI Member

Here's my Joyo. I can't get over how great this amp sounds. I got this used for a screaming deal on ebay with an upgraded speaker and tubes. I didn't really like the sound of the speaker that was in it much, nor the cosmetics. After pouring over this thread I picked up a 25v 22uf cap and installed it. Definitely opened up the amp making it both louder and edgier. But the biggest change was the speaker and cabinet. I tested the 8ohm output with the other cabinets I have and found out I really like the sound of this amp with an alnico speaker. The finishing touch was a custom champ cabinet from Mojotone with a 10" Weber signature alnico speaker. I always liked the Mesa bronco blue look so I tried to replicate that and because I'm a details nerd, I ordered the leather corners from the Mesa site (the corner install was surprisingly fun to do BTW). In the end, I couldn't be happier with this amp. Sounds so good with a variety of pickups (I've tested with single coil, humbuckers, WRHBs and P90's), amply loud for any home or recording use and a great deal (assuming you don't do something stupid like order a custom cabinet :)).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

I add myself as an owner of this little amp: it's great! I had it for 80€ used (immaculate conditions, the past owner hated it from day 1).
    I am very happy with it with no mods. I'm currently playing much more than before, thanks to its great tone. I found my sweet spot around 8-9 with my Tele Squier CV vintage blonde.
    Now I'm on the way to perform 2 mods: a try with C7 cap and a new speaker. So bad here in EU Webers are not easy to obtain so I think I will go for a WGS 4ohms.
    Does somebody have some good advice about choosing 4 or 8 ohms? Or have direct experience with WGS?
    My current speaker is a Celestion super 8
    Are Jensens alnico worth the expense on such a cheap amp?
    any suggestion is very welcome!

thanks!

19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

One knob and the truth.

20. sleazy pot pie

Did anyone ever figure out how to do the nfb ?

Smjenkins, great looking cabinet upgrade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.