1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joyo Audio opinion please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Leonardocoate, Mar 2, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I had an AC Tone when I wanted that sound but also wanted the flexibility of different voicings into a clean amp.

I thought it sounded really good, not just for the price. Really solidly built, too. Probably would’ve sounded more Vox like with an Alnico Blue speaker, but it does the vibe quite well in a pinch.

Leonardocoate likes this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I have mostly used my British Sound for direct bass recording, but have tried it into amps and direct with guitar. I got some Joyo>FX return results I liked when I ran the character knob at higher settings, gain low-ish and used my ears instead of my eyes on the three EQ knobs. Once you take the baked-in limitations of physical guitar speakers and cabs out of the signal path and try to approximate what they sound like with control adjustments, those settings can look pretty weird. Easy to get disoriented.

3. mexicanyella

Weird settings, as mentioned above. Here I’m going for a cleanish P-bass tone with some clank. The low gain setting to stay under most of the distortion threshold requires a high output setting for a stout signal level—no surprise there. The voice setting to the right of center adds an upper mids boost, which also requires a lower gain setting to stay out of the dirt. The EQ knobs are active, I think, and have react more like mixing console controls after the dirt...not like super-interactive amp controls. So I usually start with those around noon, get in the ballpark with the lower three knobs, and then make fine adjustments to taste with those top EQ knobs.

The different voice knob positions show me trying different amounts of clank and subtle grind when I dig in on my P-bass with flats. The mids knob ends up changing to compensate and shape the mids following the voice knob position.

C9149EA3-9AEF-4F46-879D-80BA44ECB32F.jpeg 1F81C96D-97FE-4703-8E19-3C007FF9DCEC.jpeg D16BDC1E-814A-47CF-8D61-167D71BF8193.jpeg

This has pretty much been my pandemic isolation amusement rig. Oddly, the Joyo has turned out to be my go-to for bass, and the old Zoom bass modeler has proven pretty useful for guitar and lap steel sounds and is my go-to for those, even though it’s my live bass rig tone-shaper in when the band situation is accessible. (Side note: A3 is my Marshall JCM800-sounding user guitar patch, consisting of the Zoom model of a Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive pedal with a little compression, spring reverb, graphic EQ, one of the darker speaker sims and noise reduction).

The Joyo settings in this photo show a low voice setting, which to the left of center seem to control a cut in the lower mids rather than a boost in the upper mids. You can get away with a higher gain setting when you do this and still stay sort of clean. But usually it seems to suit my tastes more with the voice to the left of center and the gain set lower.

147DD5D9-FFCC-47D6-B698-6DFCA4562B35.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Nice....less is more....I'm going to Sam Ash

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Leonardocoate

Great input I'm gonna order one tonight weather I need one or not (probably the American)....P.S. I love my Zoom MS-100BT

mexicanyella likes this.
  6. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I have an American Sound and use it mainly for direct recording. Does a pretty darn good job emulating what I normally sound like thru my Carr Rambler.
    I also have an AC Tone and its just as good, just not my preferred sound most of the time.

mexicanyella likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

For the old stuff I play I really don't need a whole lot of effects other than delay tremolo or Leslie speaker and Reverb

BB and Leonardocoate like this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Agree with many of the above. The American Sound pedal is a little gem for all sorts of situations. Dead cheap too.

The other guitarist in my band uses it to make his Hot Rod Deville sound good at sensible volumes like a preamp. It’s transformed his live sound into something warm sweet and good that works in the mix as opposed to loud bright and harsh.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    mexicanyella likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

I kind of wish the micro cube had separate knobs for Reverb and delay instead of on the same knob as I do like using both at the same time

But it's not a big deal because I'm using the cube at home

and if I take it on a gig I will use the Reverb from the big amp and that way I can use the delay from the Cube if that makes sense sorry for the voice activation
    What I want to do Just for kicks is use the micro cube, the big amp and no pedals

mexicanyella and Leonardocoate like this.
  10. mexicanyella

Whenever you get a chance to try that, let us know how it works. That sounds like it could be a pretty cool unconventional rig.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Excellent use for it as well. It can take my little Crate VC 2110r(20w el84s class A, 1-10") from its boxy little Marshally sound to more of a punchy fat mid forward tweed Champish thing.Throw some P90s in the mix and you're back in the 50s.

rze99 likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Yup! I will.

A little background,

I gig pretty often, the same little band (great guys, good players!) for 20 years, playing just locally- neighborhood cafes/ small bars. And we rock, but not too loud. Lot of swingy blues, Dead, 'electric bluegrass'

I'm the only guitar player in the group ( sometimes a buddy of ours sits in), so we are basically a trio, or trio+harmonica.

I kind of have my sound ( very simple) together now many years, a few different small amps to switch around, and small pedalboard.

I bought the Micro Cube last year, so I could play electrics a bit in our apartment.

So after getting familiar with it, and liking it ( more than I expected!) it hit me that there's no reason why I can't just use the Line Out of the Cube into my Fender Frontman 25R, a very nice clean amp, with great Spring Reverb, and use the models and other effects from the Cube. Just slightly different tones maybe, on my same basic sound?

I have one specific regular gig ( outside) that should be back in a few weeks, to try this out.

I play sitting down ( bad) back,
    so I can just have the Cube on the parking lot, to my right, and tweak as needed for certain sounds.

If it sounds bad, I'll just grab an OD pedal and plug straight into the Frontman, and get thru the gig!

I've got a plan!

13. mexicanyella

Does using the cube’s line out disable the internal speaker? Not that you’d need to, hell, it might sound better with that going too...just curious.

14. Leonardocoate

My boys had a Frontman 25R but didn't like it. I experimented with putting a 10 inch Ragin Cajun in it and what a hudge difference. Then my boys heard it and took it back. Now its about the only thing Daniel plays through.....and my Ragin Cajun is gone...I gotta start nailing things down around here

mexicanyella and Chiogtr4x like this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

I have the Eminence Legend 1058 speaker in there and it is fantastic I think my amp sounds just as good as my clean Deluxe Reverb used to sound

16. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I've used the Tech 21 Blonde and the Joyo British, both for home recording. There was no comparison between them, when put side by side. You get what you pay for, sometimes.

17. mexicanyella

The British isn’t a Blonde clone, though, right? Wouldn’t the American be the closer Joyo model to the Tech 21 Blonde?

Never tried the actual Tech 21 version of any of them and they may in fact be a lot nicer... but if I’m on target, a Blonde and a British seem like they’d be an apples and oranges comparison regardless of price point and quality level.

PhredE likes this.
  18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Don't! I've had both, and the original sounds better. The GX doesn't have as good dynamics and touch response, and so feels a little more digital and sterile. And there's no reason to have a separate channel volume and master volume unless you have presets, and then you use the channel volume to equalize the levels between them, and use the master for overall output level.

Leonardocoate likes this.
  19. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Yup. The Joyo AS is the knock-off of Tech21 Blonde. British series is an entirely different animal.

20. Leonardocoate

Yup...good move, the stock speakers don't do the amp justice

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.