1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joyo Audio opinion please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Leonardocoate, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Does anybody out there have experience with Joyo amp modeling pedals? I have been temped by the R-15 for recording. Reviews are mostly positive but few. The pricing is tempting. I have been using a Roland Cube as my pre-amp, but it's limited. Thanks for any input

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085PZJYHC/?tag=tdpri-20

• [​IMG]
    Click image to open expanded view

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

I have an Actone and it sounds really good. I think it comes really close to a mic on a cab.
    A real tube amp in the room sounds better but compared to playing Amplitube or my cab in an Isobox it's quite good. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for recording if I didn't have an Iso cab.
    It sounds better than some of the Amplitube sims.

In what way is the Cube limited?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Their clones of the Tech 21s are pretty much universally praised by all. There are Fender, Marshall, Vox, and Mesa versions
    s-l300.jpg joyo-jf-16-british-sound-gitareffekt.jpg a86ioe5cetveym6fb54c.jpg jf15-pedal-guitarra-california-sound-jf-15-joyo-414901-mlb20444677407_102015-f-1.jpg

4. Leonardocoate

It's good for cleans but not overdrive or distortion...The modulating effects sound good but with limited control. Reverb and delay are also good. I would also like a smaller foot print for more portability....the Cube is pretty awesome over all

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Open/expand, doh! ^

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I’ve got one of the Joyo American Sounds. I mean for a $20 Walmart pedal it’s...ok. I don’t think I could spend $150 on a Joyo product to replace a Boss/Roland though.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. Leonardocoate

I use the clean and acoustic settings for rhythm parts, I prefer the delay over the reverb. For leads with overdrive I use the classic with more gain less volume. Too much gain and it begins to sound like clipping then it tends to clean up on the decay. I love the phase and the tremlo. I would love to add a Detune, Auto Wah and vibrato..I thinking the R15 and the R9. I think the R15 will provide all of the overdrive I need.

How do you use your cube? It sounds like you run other effects through it

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Leonardocoate

Good point, maybe I will try one of the single amp modelers for $30 and see how I like it

naveed211 and northernguitar like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

I bought the Cube as we now live in apartment and even though I've been happy just playing acoustic guitar daily at home ( I play a lot of gigs, electric and acoustic), I can now play an electric, quietly.

( note: I do dig the Cube, so I do plan on running the Cube line OUT into one of my other amps, at a gig, just for kicks. Will use the amp's clean tone, volume and Spring Reverb, and use models/effects from Cube- I play sitting down, so will have amp next to me to tweak)

I like using the Brit Combo and Classic Stack for kicks with the various Cube effects,

but my favorite Cube model is my take on a 'BF/SF Clean Fender' sound ( used to own these amps, but don't now) I think I come really close:

- I use the JC Clean model NOT the Black Panel ( Fender) one; it sounds better

- I put Reverb knob all the way to the right, to ' Spring'

- have both Gain and Volume knobs at NOON

- Master Volume- wherever I want

Tone knob- all the way up

This IMO, makes for a clean, balanced clean tone,
    Then I will hook up either a Joyo Sweet Baby OD ( light breakup) or an MXR Classic Distortion ( if I want a little more, but it's still really an OD)
    Then toggle between clean tone or hit the OD pedal.

As a blues/ old R&R/ Country player this is just fine

* I'll also use the Cube Tremolo for R&B
    ( the other effects sound very good too)

A fun all-purpose setting, to me.

10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The Classic Stack with the gain around noon with a Strat does a really good SRV kind of tone

Leonardocoate and Chiogtr4x like this.
  11. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

Maybe some pedals or a multi effects processor will fit your needs. If I'm correct and you only have one knob to dial in effects than that would be problem. I like pedals because I can see the settings in one look but a processor is a nice way to get almost everything you need.
    Overdrive comes in so many flavors so there must be a pedal that does what you want.

12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I swear by my American Sound pedal. I use it as the base in my OD stack. I will probably get the British Sound pedal in the near future. Regardless of price, they are pretty good pedals.

Alamo likes this.
  13. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i picked up an american sound for cheap second-hand as a more expansive preamp for my vht special 6. it's about the best thing you can get for 25 bucks anywhere.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

+1 Joyo American Sound.

Used to record direct from the pedal, no amp. Some gigging players use it direct to the PA or as easy backup if their favorite amp or their bass player's amp goes down at a gig.

Chicago Matt and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

It's a fun amp, just ask Mike Bloomfield and Johnny Winter!
    20210212_191028.jpg 20210212_191146.jpg

Leonardocoate likes this.
  16. Leonardocoate

Sounds like you have the GX. I have an old one. No master volume, spring or Octave. Now i want a GX...damn rabbit hole.....I did install a cliff jack so I could plug into my speaker cabs. That works really good

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

I want to patch my Cube ( as mentioned earlier) into one of my amps at a gig ( I play some laid back gigs, where we can just experiment a bit with gear), just so I can use the Octave effect on some funk or Dead jams.

With a little OD on, It's like playing in unison with a baritone sax!

18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

My JF-16 British Sound seems well worth the ~$40 shipped I paid. It has been very useful for recording slightly dirty P-bass tracks. It’s quiet and construction seems solid enough, and once you figure out how the voice, gain and three-band post-gain active EQ work together it can do a pretty cool range of sounds.

Leonardocoate likes this.
  19. Leonardocoate

I've plugged mine into amps before and it's pretty awesome, not so much when I plug into an FX return

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Got it, will try soon when my electric band gigs come back soon ( acoustic duo now)

Don't have any amps with effects loops ( really only use 4 pedals max, and one is a Tuner)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.