1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joyo American vs Wampler Black 65 vs Tweed 57

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vladimir, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

I've been looking for a pedal to give me some grit with my Laney Cub 8 (and subsequently the VC 30).
    Overdrive pedals just don't work for me, and boosters are too weak.
    The sound I'm looking for is similiar to Danny Gatton's "cranked amp", gritty, but with definition.
    After reviewing pedal demos on YT, the closest to this ideal sound I was the the Wampler 57. Since I mostly play clean, I'd think that I'd prefer the sound of the Black 65, but on the demos it just sounds too mushed up when cranked.

Although I can get the Wampler pedals at a discount price, I'm still wondering if I can get in the teritorry with a Joyo American pedal. I haven't seen side by side comparisons, and a lot of Joyo demos go straight into recording. I'd be using this with a regular guitar amp.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    tele-bastard likes this.
  2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Been looking at the Mad Professor Big Tweedy (and also the Wampler Tweed 57, and the Nocturne Barnyard Jr) for something that would give me a low gain, amp-like, late 40s-50s breakup tone - recently ordered something from Thomann, and was slightly short of the necessary amount to qualify for free shipping - so I threw a B-stock of their own Harley Benton-housebrand version of the Joyo American Sound in the cart (for a mere 24 Euros) - and I love it!
    I use it in front of a Carr Rambler (very clean Fender-ish tone), and I can get those tones I was looking for easily - I think you should also be able to get Gatton-like, more aggressive tones; that Drive pot can really take the pedal from almost too thin/scooped sharp tones to very gritty, fat, compressed ones, and everything between - and that's before even touching the Gain pot! And then you have the very effective 3-band EQ (esp. the mids pot is quite effective...
    I use my American sound with the Drive around 12-1 o'clock, the gain at 8-9 o'clock, the bass at 12, mids at 1, and treble at 11 o'clock, and the volume adjusted for unity gain - and can cop a perfect slightly gritty late 40s jump blues tone, with the amp set to a super clean country twang - so there's plenty of leeway to go to a more aggressive tone, or to make it work with an amp set to a much fuller sound.
    One caveat: unlike advertised, this pedal is definitely NOT true bypass!

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info! Even though the local store has the Wamplers on sale now for only 150€, it's still a lot for a pedal I'll mostly use at home. The big Laney on the other hand, the VC 30, grits out nicely when opened up.

4. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

The thing about the Black '65 is that in most videos I remember seeing they keep the bass knob way to high - which is ok for low volume, clean playing most of times, but not when you crank up the gain. If you keep it low or even down to 0, the bass will stay tight.

I also like to keep the mids low (before noon). Sounds more like a true Blackface tone to me like that. Note that the Black '65 is a medium gainer at best even with the gain boost on.

K1121 and Vladimir like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Catalinbread Formula No.5 or the new Formula No.55.

WaylonFan76 likes this.
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

I've had limited experience cranking up real Fender amps, but I did find the grit on a Tweed (small watt) to sound nicer than a cranked 65. So maybe the pedals are true to the character. Of course, for cleans, it's a different story.

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Nope, not available around here.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Oops, sorry. I didn't think about availability.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Try a TC spark drive with switch in the up position and just a hair of gain.

RonV66 likes this.
  10. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I would order an American Sound from China (ebay or aliexpress). It is cheap and very good. Try it out. If you dont like it, they seem to be very easy to foist off used. You probably wont be out anything on the deal, and might even make a few bucks.

I have one and like it a lot, but no experience to compare it to the other pedals you mention.

tele-bastard and joealso like this.
  11. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Took the words right outa my mouth. Only, if you don't initially like the Joyo, keep it until you can compare it to the next pick. It's super cheap. Why not?

12. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

So I picked up the Joyo American Sound this morning, plugged it into my 5-watter amp, and yep, that's pretty much the sound I was looking for.:)

There are endless options available just by tweaking the knobs so I've got everything at noon, and I'll take it from there.
    It's nice that it's also got an accessible battery department since it draws just 3.8 mA.

Very good pedal for someone who doesn't like drive pedals;)

K1121, Alamo and Georox like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I see you like the Joyo AS. I found it's a good pedal too.

While it's not what you are chasing, I've had fun with stacking a pair of Boss DS-1s that together cost $35 used, and have six knobs to tweak like a fancy boutique model.

Those and a $30 Kokko SOS looper pedal can be a lot of fun.

Vladimir likes this.
  14. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

Having owned all three of the pedals mentioned, the best is the Tweed 57 to use with an amp IMO.
    The 65 was only useful clean to "blackface" my clean tone. I did not like it as an overdrive.
    I still have the Joyo AS, that is my emergency backup to go into the pa with my pedals. Sounds good enough. Didn't like it into an amp.
    The Tweed 57 sounded really good and versatile as an overdrive but it always had some dirt to it, if you were trying to "tweed up" a different amp.
    I sold the 65 and 57 because I didn't need them anymore

15. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

That’s a great price for a Wampler pedal. I owned the Black 65 but honestly, I found it hard to dial out the harshness. By contrast, I ended up keeping my Ecstasy/Euphoria. It sounds exactly like I was trying to make the Black 65 sound. It can be totally transparent and just give you a little more, or it can do quite heavy overdrive very well. It’s one of the only pedals I’ve ever owned which does both lower and higher gain sounds so convincingly.

Is the Wampler Euphoria an option for you?

sanfi4u likes this.
  16. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

I second the Ecstasy/ Euphoria

17. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I have the Euphoria as my base tone into my 90's Blues DeVille. It will never leave my board. It's my tone. But very different than the 65 or 57. Also have the Joyo AS, and have played both the Wampler 65 and 57 quite a bit thru my rig.

The 57 has a much broader range of 'usable' gritty tones than the AS, as the Joyo gets noisy in the higher gain ranges. The 65 is great to make a non Fender amp get blackface tones, or to 'detail' a Fender amp, but for me, not a great od w a Fender amp. The 57's gain spectrum is broader than the 65, and brings more to the table. I've stayed w the Joyo, since I'm primarily a low gain player. So the 57 isn't worth the extra dough. Hope this all helps.

Salsg, johnhe and Vladimir like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.