Joyo American Sound -- ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sbpark, Mar 14, 2016.

1. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

That's pretty much how I felt the second I plugged the pedal in. Set all the controls to 12 0'clock and had very low expectations of this pedal, but figured for the price of admission, why not, right?

Well let me just say this...Sweet Fancy Moses! I know I'm late to the party with this one, but really, why did I wait so long? Where do I even begin trying to explain this pedal? It's like a boost, overdrive, and sonic goodness all rolled into one little box. Yes, it's really that good.

If I had to describe my sound it would be a combination of old school country and alt-country style stuff, with everything from old George Jones to more modern stuff like the Jayhawks and Son Volt, Gin Blossoms, etc., and the occasional Black Crowes thing going on. Probably like everyone else, I like a clean-edge of breakup type sound that has some grit to it, bit still clean enough to hear fills and embellishments, etc. This pedal screams twang and articulation with just the right amount of grit and grind, plus it just does something to the overall sound that makes it just "more better".

Previously I've been using either a TS808 or a Soul Food for my dirt and OD needs, and have an MXR Micro Amp at the end of the chain to give it a little more 'oomph' and push my '72 Princeton Reverb just a little harder. I thought it sounded great until i tried the American Sound. No longer need the Micro Amp, because the American Sound just does something to my amp where the lows are punchier yet still remain percussive and articulate, and embellishments, bends and whatnot are twangier. I also play rhythm stuff but will a lot of embellishments and little fills thrown in to make it interesting and these don't get buried at all and are easily heard with some dirt dialed into the American Sound. What I've also been doing is putting the TS808 before the American Sound and pushing it with the TS808 and works great for higher gain solos and leads.

I actually am loving this pedal so much I just ordered a second one. Time will tell if the pedal holds up, as I've read in the past that these are pretty cheaply made and whatnot, but this has got to be my hands down favorite OD pedal to date, and I have quite a few here sitting on the shelf. Everything else just sounds boxy and pinched compared to the American Sound. It's like a blanket is removed from the speakers once you turn it on.

If I had one negative thing to say, it's that the pedal is a little noisy, but really is fine for me, and not even close to making it a dealbreaker.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

3. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

I've got the AC Tone and love it. You're right. It's also like a boost, OD, & eq. I use it for the slight breakup sound and as a boost in front of other dirt pedals. I want the American Sound too!

4. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I've got both AC and AS. I use the AC as a second 'channel' w my Pathfinder. And the AS as a Fender chanel into my Carvin V16, which has el84's.
    Welcome to the club. It's never too late to join.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What's the original Tech 21 of this one?

6. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

It's a clone of a Tech 21 Blonde ver 1.

I have the American Sound but currently not using it. I had it on my board as a backup (to go straight to the board if my amp blew). I replaced the American Sound with a Tech 21 British ver 1 which I use as a distortion pedal and a backup. I like the British with my rig much better than the American.

One thing to keep in mind with these initial Joyo clones is that they are "version 1." The later Tech 21 Sans Amp pedals added a separate switch for speaker emulation - the Tech 21 Sans Amp pedals with speaker emulation are version 2.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I use the AS and AC as clean/very mild gain boxes, 8n front of my amps. Primarily as base tone units. My experience is that 'noise' begins just past mild gain into MY amps (modded DeVille clean channel, Carvin V16, Pathfinder 15R) w the AS, but the AC has more grind avaliable before noise.
    After reading lots of user posts about the Joyo, it seems it has a wider usable 'gain without noise' used as a direct box/recording pre than in front if an amp. Works well for my needs, but maybe not yours.

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yeah it's great! I did have one fail so I just rebought it for 30 bucks - really not that mad about it at that price. It's a great Fender tube amp simulator for direct use especially

9. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

^^^ I've had two out of five Joyo pedals with issues (I've purchased more but either returned them or sold them in the short term). One shorted out at the foot switch (black mark on the PC board of the switch) and a Joyo California choose just before the opening song of a set to without warning start to feedback and howl. Tossed it in the garbage. In retrospect my two issues translates to about a 40% problem rate - which is I assume is unnaturally high.

10. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Congratulations SB. This is a bitchin pedal, one of my favorites and I've had the Wampler Tweed 57 which this is very similar to. I think the EQ makes a huge difference and the voice knob being able to go blackface or Tweed is killer I really need nothing else to play with a lot of times. I've been lucky and had no quality control issues. I am a huge Joyo fan now. I'm very happy for you.

Attached Files:

roosme likes this.
  11. roosme

roosme TDPRI Member

I have both the AC and AS and love the sound of them stacked. Though I've gone to Tech 21 Blonde to replace the AS, I've not had any quality issues with any of my Joyo pedals, which include several beyond these two.

tele-bastard likes this.
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You motivated me....

I picked up an AS to keep in my gig bag as an emergency backup... I played a it a little bit and was impressed.

Last night i didn't feel like carrying an amp to practice, I was already hucking a powered monitor. So, I just plugged into that. It sounded great. I used it all night at practice and was super happy with my sound all night long!

I'm probably going to stick with this configuration for band practice. Its just too easy!

tele-bastard and roosme like this.
  13. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just picked a used one up out of curiosity. Trying to work up a duo with me on acoustic and the other guy is playing electric and been going direct in practice (not the best Tele sound IMO, compared to the DRRI he usually plugs into). Anyway, I'm going to see if he'll take to this thing next time we get together. Gave it a small test last night but all I have to go through is my i/f and back out the 5" desk/studio monitors. But, sounded pretty darn good! I found the drive to be a lot more than I could ever imagine using, but really nice Fender tones. Voice and mid a bit past 12 and dialed back the drive sounds good to me with my Tele. We'll see what my bud thinks about it.

14. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

I want to say that it's a great pedal for the price but sadly it's the only pedal I own.

tele-bastard likes this.
  15. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Bought a used Twin this week and not having my pedalboard at home I grabbed a Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone) off a shelf in my music room to see how it sounded with a little dirt. I threw a battery into the Joyo, plugged it in and the Joyo didn't turn on. I don't know why I have this bad luck with Joyo. :confused: Next day I brought a power supply home, plugged it into the Joyo and it did turn on with the power supply. Using a volt meter I checked continuity from the battery leads to the board and it was OK. I disassembled the pedal and found a few spots of thin whitish residue covering several traces on the component side of the board. I carefully scraped off the residue and the pedal came to life with a battery. This particular Ultimate Drive is practically brand new, having previously been used for probably less than 5 minutes.

I have a strong hunch this white residue was the result of something done incorrectly when the PCB was soldered at the factory, but if I ever get another Joyo with this issue at least I'll know the likely cause -and the easy fix.

16. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

I've had my American Sound for a couple of years now with absolutely no issues t'is a great pedal, I also have the British which is also good but doesn't get much use as I love the sound of the American so much.

17. surlydude

surlydude TDPRI Member

I keep one in my gig bag as a back-up DI to the PA just in case my amp goes down.

18. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! I use one for church most Sundays. My band mates just got a California Sound and AC Tone, which we will most likely use to record and even to have 'silent' rehearsals. The bass and vocals already goes direct to board, so if we do that the only sound in the room will be the drums

19. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I have one I keep at rehearsal space. I can use any SS junk and still sound ok. I can use my DRRI and sound pretty good. No need to take my pedalboard. It goes from pretty clean to filthy, thick to ratty.

Build quality? The thing was practically free. If it breaks, it breaks.

20. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Just picked one up of reverb five minutes ago. Looking forward to running it into my 68 Custom Deluxe and possibly not having to carry an amp to Church on Sunday

tele-bastard and DannyStereo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.