1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joyo American Sound

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 1977CJ5, Sep 24, 2020.

1. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have used an American Sound into a Bandit, killer tone

2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

They have registered resellers just like Amazon.

I don't think Joyo is alone in this regard. If you close and hard enough, you'll find this phenomenon persists throughout Sino-American commerce.. and not just confined to musical instruments.

IMO, a lot of people hear about this (and similar things) and ASSUME that because the price is reasonable or low, that it is junk. In the past, you could probably peg an 'r' value of about .8 for measuring association between 'quality' and 'cost' of many musical instruments and such. More recently, however, I would assert that r value is something more like 0.5. You could spend a LOT more money on a tone gadget and not get anywhere near the sound/tones out of the AS for that price. Some things are good despite the price, not because of it.

IMadeYouReadThis and Alamo like this.
  3. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Funny, I have the same exact two (and only those two).

I've been using my Zoom g1on for awhile instead, but as I recall I have a slight preference for the American Sound over the AC Tone, since it has a fuller EQ (maybe more bass). But they are both very classy.

Bryan A likes this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Every pedal builder copies what came before. There are only really three kinds of effects: Drive, volume, compression effects, modulation effey, and reverb/delay effects. They just tweak to taste.

PhredE and Rocky058 like this.
  5. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Design-stealing is the sincerest form of flattery.

haggardfan1 and PhredE like this.
  6. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

You probably saw that I am playing through a JC22, so I know in my case you are correct. Have not tried it through any other amps. I will say I have tried many pedals and multi effects through the JC22 and nothing has come close to changing the character and feel of the amp as the JOYO.

BTW, the JC22 is really nice on its own too.

Alamo likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use my new ( maybe a month) American Sound basically to add some mids and focus the bass a bit to my little Fender Frontman 25R, which I actually use on gigs.
    The Frontman has an 'almost there ' BF/SF clean tone, but sounds a little tinkly and 'direct' .So the AS corrects this, it's ALWAYS ON.
    ( I put the Frontman EQ knobs at NOON, and just use the Reverb and Clean channel knobs now)

I don't like how OD actually sounds coming from the American Sound, but Drive at 9:00 and Voice at 10::00 is great!

Also:

Since I thought a Tube Screamer might be a good fit for this amp ( with its 'mid bump' plus I don't need a lot of dirt, just some drive and a little crunch) and I did not actually have one now, I just bought a JOYO Vintage Overdrive ( a TS!)
    So I'm a JOYO fan!

This is a great fit with the AS and the Frontman. Here are basic settings for both ( not that I won't tweak):
    20200913_164521.jpg

Bluego1 and PhredE like this.
  8. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool!

lefty73 and ieatlions like this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had the JC77 years ago - little brother to the JC120 at the time with 77 watts and 2 - 10” speakers. It was a great amp and a much more portable option to the 80 watt Twins others were playing.

PhredE likes this.
  10. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I've been running an American Sound pedal into the new Harmony 8418 amp for about a month, and they're a match made in heaven. The 8418 stays cleanish all the way up to full power, but the AS can push it across the line into delicious bluesy crunch territory. And since the amp has just a volume knob and no tone controls, the tone-shaping of the pedal makes the amp far more versatile. Harmony and Joyo should team up and include an American Sound pedal with every amp purchase.

Alamo and PhredE like this.
  11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Those of you who have other pedals, or maybe a multi, where do you put the AS in your chain?
    And can you use it in conjunction with another clean boost like a Boosta Grande?

PhredE likes this.
  12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I put it at the end before the D.I., i use it clean, you can even put it before delay or reverb if you want, nothing will happen...

haggardfan1 and PhredE like this.
  13. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I have two American Sound pedals. one lives on my pedal board (and leave it on there). it goes into a Tweed Blues Deluxe, usually always on.
    it's so easy to change the character of the amp to a cleanish tweed twin or crunchy 5e3 sound territory .
    the other one is on my desk to directly plug into my Behringer X18 mixer or home noodling. :)

haggardfan1 likes this.
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Anybody willing to share their settings ?

15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

I'm a simpleton, most times it is:
    >> Compressor >> AS (also have the AC Tone, but don't use it much) >> Analog Delay >> Amp

Edit:
    These *can* really bump your signal up quite a lot. Be careful you don't stack too many and blow the input of your amp!

haggardfan1 likes this.
  16. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

DSCN1026.JPG

DrBGood likes this.
  17. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

B1EB5AF0-6899-4306-B213-DA987D59E375.png
    This is sample settings for the American Sound. The clean setting is a pretty solid clean boost

DrBGood and PhredE like this.
  18. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

56883D91-79FA-484B-BE77-5D5E5D77F6A1.png This one is sample settings for the AC Tone:

DrBGood and PhredE like this.
  19. Swingbass

Swingbass Tele-Meister

I gig the below pedal board into a Fender Champion 100. The Joyo American adds so much flavor. The signal chain is The Duellist which is an awesome dual OD, Keely 4 knob Compressor, Joyo American, then out to amp. I removed the Xotic Super Sweet I had on there for solo boost as well. The Mic Mechanic is obviously going to the board for the PA. This is all powered by the MXR Mini Iso Brick. Those settings I used for one of my Tele's.

upload_2020-9-24_17-49-25.jpeg

20. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I use those Nuge settings on mine sometimes, including that gnarly high drive setting and man, it’s close, though one would be wise to put a noise gate after it or it can get a little crazy:eek::cool:.
    Oh, straight to effects loop return on an Orange 35RT.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.