1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joyo American Sound

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 1977CJ5, Sep 24, 2020.

1. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

It's sneaky great. My American Sound is my "amp". I put it in one of the effects loops of my Line 6 HX Effects so I can use comp/drive/wah/some modulations in front of it and delays after.

On a related note, I can't recommend Joyo's Cab Box enough as a complement to the American Sound (or any of Joyo's "amp in a box" pedals). The American Sound's "speaker sim" is more like a gentle EQ curve rather than an actual cabinet simulator.

Pairing it with an actual cabinet-power amp-and-mic simulator and IR loader like the Cab Box makes the American Sound a bona fide preamp on par with preamps that cost hundreds more.

2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

3-Chord-Genius and richiek65 like this.
  3. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Btw, I’m sure you know this already, but the Joyo pedals are based on Tech 21 pedals and they are....

American Sound= meant to sound like a Fender Bassman with ton of headroom

AC Tone= meant to sound like a Vox AC30

British Sound= meant to sound like a Marshall

California Sound= meant to sound like a Mesa Boogie

So whatever sound you’re after would be the determining factor for which one would be for you. I’m playing a true fender tweed amp and was only looking for a clean boost, so the American Sound obviously. Ive been tempted by the British Sound because it supposedly has an AC/DC setting. If you’re looking to play distorted metal, obviously you wouldn’t want the AS, and if you’re looking to play clean country twang, you obviously wouldn’t want the Mesa one.

The Joyo pedals don’t come with a manual really, but the manuals for the Tech 21 pedals that the Joyos are based on can be found online. They have “sample settings”.

PhredE likes this.
  4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

American Sound. (crafted in China, LOL!)

Seriously. I tried to like these and the Tech 21 pedals they are based on, but I just didn't. I don't think they work well through an amp that already has it's own "character". I would guess the would be best used with something more transparent, like a Roland JC or old Peavy solid state amp.

5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Now this sounds like a good setup. Amp Sim integrated with multi effects and an IR loader. That would sound great right to FOH.

6. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I agree with this to an extent. The American Sound sounds better through my Fender than the AC Tone does. And the AC Tone sounds better through the vox mv50.

Again, I use the AS as a boost only. As for pure overdrive, neither of these pedals tops my Champ cranked to 12, or turned halfway down and with a Tubescreamer added

mkdaws32 likes this.
  7. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I bought the American Sound pedal and I really wanted to like it but I couldn't hang with the popping noise that happened when I stepped on the switch. The pedal sounded OK and I guess if I left it on all the time it would have been OK. I'm gonna look for a California Blonde pedal.

8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have one and I like the sound generally, but at the moment I have no use for it, so it sits in the box, brand new, unused.

9. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I was also very, very underwhelmed with any of the Joyo "amp" pedals as standalone overdrives or boosts. They (and their Tech 21 ancestors) definitely fare much, much better as a direct-to PA/powered monitor/DAW, or even into the Return of an amp's effect loop, which is how I use my American Sound.

• Guitar into HX Effects input
    • American Sound in a loop on the HX Effects
    • HX Effects output to Joyo Cab Box
    • Joyo Cab Box 1/4-inch output to effects loop return of my Tech 21 Trademark 60

I know there are players that use them as traditional boost or dirt stomps, though in my experience they sound much truer to their inspirations without another amp's preamp getting in the way.

10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I've always been leery of Joyo. They are the cheapest pedals out there. I'm also leery of Tech 21. I had a SansAmp GT2 with British, California and Tweed models, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't coax a realistic clean tone out of any of them. Is this better than the GT2?

11. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

It has been so much fun, and it sounds so damn good. $240 USD delivered to your door from Amazon ($200 for Cab Box, $40 for the American Sound). Loading third-party IRs is super simple, though I will vouch for Joyo's built-in cabinet models, everything from a 1x8 Champ to 1x10 Princeton a Matchless 2x12 to a Super Reverb 4x10 to a Soldano 4x12. There's even three bass cabinet models if you've got a bass preamp or want to experiment with running your guitar rig through a 1x15, 4x10, or even an 8x10 bass cabinet. :)

Add in the ability to turn on and mix and match power amp sims (6V6, 6L6, EL84, EL34) and super-tweakable onboard 5-band or parametric EQ and you may never need to load an IR. I've messed about with some from Celestion, Redwirez, and Wilkinson Audio, and while they're good, to my ear the Cab Box's cabinets are just as good and more tweakable.

I know I sound like a fanboy, though I don't mind stating how good I think Joyo's little blue box is.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Walmart ?

Treehouse likes this.
  13. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I guess it depends on what you think a "realistic clean tone" sounds like. These aren't meant to be precise copies of legendary clean tones. In a way, I think they're taking elements from a huge range of possibilities and leaving it up for you to decide what you want, and giving you simple controls to get you there.

The GT2 is ancient technology by today's standards, hearing the GT2 today would make it clear it is waaaaaaaay more generic and more like an EQ pedal than preamps such as the Tech 21 Character series and the Joyo "amps".

For $40 USD, you can give the American Sound a shot, and if you don't get hip to it, then at least you know. I think you'll be surprised.

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I guess I used the wrong word. I should have said usable, for my tone, that is. And the distorted sounds were no better than what I already had. I will check out the Joyo.

15. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I've been looking into an American Sound recently for plugging straight into a PA. That's whats available at the rehearsal space, so I figure a pedal would be easier than lugging a whole amp.

There are some ethical issues with Joyo that I'm not too sure about though. I've heard they directly copy their circuits off of other builders (even small ones), which I certainly can't endorse.

16. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

For those that are interested, this my Joyo MeteOR. Overdrive channel used on about 10 o'clock.

Gear used:
    Gibson LP Deluxe 2011 reissue.
    Joyo MeteOR into an orange 2x12OB
    Vermona reverb in the fx loop.
    ARC effects Klone and Providence Delay into the front.
    Samson USB mic into GarageBand.

StevesBoogie and Bluego1 like this.
  17. 1revcapps

1revcapps TDPRI Member

I use the Joyo AS on my pedal board. You can turn it on and off to see the big difference it makes. It is an integral part of “my sound”.

Alamo, PhredE and Treehouse like this.
  18. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

.com

Exactly a year ago. Looks like the price has gone up since then... just like many things from you-know-where.

PhredE likes this.
  19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

The American Sound gets a lot of love over on Talkbass also.

I bought a British Sound based on the discovery that I always gravitate to the old-Marshall emulations when I play my P-bass through modeling devices. I have found the British Sound to sound pretty good for
    direct recording a P-bass with flatwound strings played fingerstyle. It gets ugly fast as you turn up the gain in that scenario, but with the gain at 9-10 o’clock and the output at 3-4 o’clock, it makes a nice tone shaper that adds just a touch of hair when you dig in.

PhredE likes this.
  20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have the AC Tone which sounds great through an amp; however, using it as a D.I. (which you're supposed to be able to do) sounds a bit cardboardy. It's usable that way, but sounds much better going into an amp. And yes, you do need to dial the mids back if you turn the "voice" up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.