1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Joyo American Sound

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 1977CJ5, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I'm really late to the party. Turned 65 this year and don't know how I missed out on this. About 4 months ago, somehow, luckily, ran across across a forum that the Joyo American was being discussed. Googled, it to find tons of positive reviews. When I saw how cheap they were ($39.99), I almost did not buy one... figured it could not be that great. Decided, I had nothing to lose. That was 4 months ago, and I'm still blown away.

Without a doubt, the best money I have ever spent on any pedal (and trust me I've bought a lot).
    I'm running it through a Roland JC22 Jazz Chorus (plugged into guitar input on amp). From the moment I plugged it in, I was floored! As others have said, this is not really a distortion or overdrive pedal. It is an amp simulator (supposedly Fender 57 Deluxe amp). All I know is that it turns my JC22 into another animal. With my Strat, and drive around 1 or 2 o'clock I feel like I'm playing through an expensive boutique amp. Hendrix chord noodling sound like a sand, glass, and wd40 coming out of the amp. Nice, smooth, bouncy, but gritty. Responds beautifully to pick attack. Play soft and its chimey and punchy, dig in and here comes the grit, but really good grit. You can feel the amp reacting to everything you do, like a really good tube amp.

I keep the voice knob below 12 o'clock, usually around 9. The voice knob is tied to the Mid knob, adjusting one will affect the other. This is important if you turn up the voice and don't compensate by lowering the Mid, it will not sound good (at least in my case). I keep the Mid around noon with voice on 9.
    The Low and High knobs stay between 12 and 2 for what I do.

To me, keeping the drive below 12 makes it behave like an equalizer, which is pretty cool to color your sound.

Its an absolutely great pedal.

2. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I have the Joyo "British Sound" and i like it too.
    But there's one thing: at bedroom level it sounds weak and thin but as you turn the amp up the beast awakes. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius, PhredE and Treehouse like this.
  3. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I have the American Sound and the AC Tone. I’m already playing through a Fender 57 Custom Champ, which is about as “tweed” as you can get, so I’ve found the American works best as a clean boost. The AC Tone goes A LOT raunchier and does everything from Stones to Queen and heavier stuff well. But I’m not sure I like the AC better as lately I’ve been more into cranked amp with no OD, or using OD only as a boost. I’ve also considered trying the British Sound, but not sure I’d like it any better than the AC Tone.

PhredE likes this.
  4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

The 'big Fender clean'.. :)

I also have the AC Tone as well. Bryan A nailed it about the AC Tone.
    If one tweaks the knobs correctly on the AC Tone (hint: turn down the mids..), you can get fairly close to the AS clean tone.

I don't use mine for gain/crunch, I keep my settings dialed down for clean nearly always.

Bryan A likes this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago, should be here soon.:)

PhredE likes this.
  6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I’ve been using a Joyo MeteOR amp through my Orange 2x12 for a few years now. I’ve fooled many ppl into thinking it’s a Marshall, orange, Mesa. Ppl have been blown away when I tell them what it actually is.

Yet to use one of their pedals but maybe worth a shout!

PhredE and Bluego1 like this.
  7. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

I traded an old, expired infant car seat and one dollar to WalMart for an American Sound.

I think I got the better end of the deal.

RoscoeElegante, old soul and PhredE like this.
  8. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have one - used it direct to the board in church. Worked well for that purpose but was a bit noisy. I keep it around as a backup in case I have amp issues but I really like playing a live amp. I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.

9. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I have the Zombie. The dirty channel is mind-blowing.

ieatlions and PhredE like this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

It seems the AS has a wide and solid following (at least here on TDPRI). The BanTamps don't enjoy the same love and affection for some reason. They compare quite favorably and are structured similar to the Vox MV50 series and with a better price too (although not quite as compact). I was seriously looking at the BlueJay and Atomic and still may pick one up, but the American Sound I can play into just about anything and have it sound good.. So I guess there is no big rush.

RoscoeElegante and Bluego1 like this.
  11. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have one of those too, that I bring along as a backup in case my amp should ever go down. Have never needed it yet, but it's great, cheap insurance.

12. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

AH ! Good to lnow. I'm just starting on the AC. Got it through the effects loop for now on my Traynor YVC20.

13. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like the Joyo line has a lot of love. So, some of you have mentioned the AC tone... is this something I need to consider? Can someone briefly explain how it differs from the American?

Saw another response that noted the American was noisy. I also saw that in some other reviews. Mine is dead quiet.

PhredE likes this.
  14. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I'll say!

Treehouse likes this.
  15. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Depends if you want OD or if you’re just looking for boost. If you’re just looking for boost, imo the American Sound is better. If you’re looking for actual OD, or a specific style that may fall into the Vox style, then you may like the AC Tone better

PhredE likes this.
  16. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

It gets a lot of love here, myself included, i use it to play straight into P.A. with a Mooer Micro DI after it, it's even better.
    It's probably the king of bang for the buck pedal. :):):)

old soul and PhredE like this.
  17. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

AC Tone is the Vox (AC30) emulator.

As far as noise goes.. mine also is very quiet. I think there are some [relatively minor] issues with QC in some cases (sticky/noisy pots seem to lead the list IIRC)

Bryan A likes this.
  18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Newly released is a Zombie II and Jackman II, with separate controls for each channel so you can compensate for the noticeable difference in volume between channels on the original versions.
    I think people see Joyo and see $150-180 and flinch away. Multiple reviews favoring these things over the Orange Microterror notwithstanding.

PhredE likes this.
  19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I love my American Sound and I've been wanting to pick up an AC Tone for a while. I run it direct to the board as an amp simulator in a wet-dry rig. The real amplifier gets all the effects pedals, the American Sound is the dry sound. It works great for that.

As far as any questions about the QC of them, well I paid $35 for mine (that's less than three string changes). If it gives me any problems I'd just pitch it and buy another one.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    joealso and PhredE like this.
  20. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Uh-oh, I think I need -- oops -- WANT one of those.
    Thanks for the head's up. I did not know about the II series. :)

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.