Joyo American Sound into a BF amp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by King Fan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I tried to find this specific topic here without luck, so thought I'd ask. Is it crazy or cool to put the JAS in front of a Fender amp? In my case, specifically my PR clone?

I know many people use it as an amp replacement, not an effect in front of the amp. But looking around the net, a *lot* of folks say they use it as a pedal, and quite a few actually mention using it in front of a blackface amp, very often a Twin, sometimes an HRD, and yes, even a DR.

My goal, I guess, would be to do a few things.

1. Maybe get my fairly clean PR to break up at a quieter volume (it really doesn't get very dirty until well beyond 7)?
    2. Maybe give my PR more of a DR voice?
    3. And with the 'Voice' dial to the right and the Mids up some, maybe tweed up the PR?

Anybody with any experience?

2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Haven’t tried it with a Fender amp but when I’ve used it in front of the preamp it’s extremely noisy. I’ve corrected some of that by using a completely separate isolated power supply but it’s still weirdly noisy. It rocks, though, if I send it straight to the return jack of the effects loop.

King Fan likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I use it in front of an AC15C1, a '73 Bandmaster Reverb, and an Ibanez THS15.

It sounds great in front of all of them.

I use it in lots of different ways, from a scooped BF sound to a middy tweed sound, to a subtle degree, cranked way up for nasty dirt, etc. Easily one of my favorite pedals. Actually satisfies my tweed urges. (Though, of course, one day I'll bust the budget (again) and get a proper tweed amp.)

And a great deal, given how inexpensive they are.

King Fan likes this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Seems kinda redundant to me. I use it as a amp sim and EQ it to be close to a DRRI.

King Fan likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I don't own one, but from what I've seen/heard in demo videos and read online, I would think it could do all of that and more. They're cheap. Try one and see...and then let us know how it turns out.

King Fan likes this.
  6. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I’ve tried it in front of my sf champ.
    Sounds ok, I can get some decent sounds with it.
    I’m sure with more experimentation it would be quite effective.
    But I just really want more dirt out of the amp, and for that there are better things.
    A range master style boost for example.
    Or any number of dirt or fuzz boxes.

still, give it a try. It might do just what you want.

King Fan likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've used mine into a PA and a clean amp.
    Very satisfying tones with both.

King Fan likes this.
  8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

I use to feed my PRRI all the time....does a nice job.

King Fan likes this.
  9. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Hey King Fan . I've used a Joyo to do this but I prefer a Wampler Black 65 for what you are trying to do. They are discontinued and more expensive but they sound more organic for lack of a better word IMO.

King Fan likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Not a blackface but what you are trying

King Fan likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes it works.

The other guitarist in my band uses this pedal to plug into anything available to get a consistent sound.

He no longer brings his amp rehearsal studios because this allows him to dial in. Sounds good into anything. As long as you don’t want a lot of dirt. It gets noisy and mushy at high gain settings, but at Close to break up and gentle crunch it’s oerfect.

I’m grateful because I never liked his tone into his HRD. Far too hard and cold.

I bought it for him “to try” ;).

12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I use both the Joyo American Sound and the Tech21 Blonde (Old version-no cab sim switch) in front of Fender, Vox and Any kind of amp and through PA.

if I run it in front of amp, I set all amp EQ to noon (Flat), and clean. With this on my board, its my clean tone. Always on. It sounds great. My Joyo and Tech21 is not noisy though, but The Tech21 seems to have more volume on tap than the Joyo I have.

[​IMG]

Updated board:

[​IMG]

by using this set up. Im very consistent with my tone across any kind of amp and any situation. Be it solid state amp or tube.

i do prefer to use a very clean solid state amp if I’m going to turn this on all the time. But when I get lucky and I have a tube amp, i just turn it on if I want fendery tone for solos/lead lines.

King Fan and Matthias like this.
  13. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I use it before a Red Box d.i. to go straight to p.a. it works great, i've also used it in front of an amp always set clean, it's not bad considering that it has a cab. sim. always on which is not the best way to use a pedal like that, its eq is very powerful so you can achieve many tones but i prefer it into a p.a. or into a return of an amp....

King Fan likes this.
  14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I've used my AC Tone into a few amps. It's noisy in that context. Better into my bass amp though - I've used it as a bass gain/EQ quite successfully live.

King Fan likes this.
  15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I use my Joyo AS in front of my Fender Pro Junior for BF and Tweed tones.

King Fan likes this.
  16. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I use it with my PRRI to tweedify it. Works great as an EQ. I just wish I could turn the gain up past 10:00. Too much hissssssssssss.

King Fan likes this.
  17. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Thank you all. Extremely helpful. As noted, it’s a cheap simple experiment. I’m in, and will try to report back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have an American Sound, but I never use it. I'd sell it, but it isn't worth enough to bother. Actually it sounds pretty good, but it's got a fair amount of background noise, which isn't that noticeable when run into a clean amp. But run it into a pedal board or multifx with a compressor on, and it's unusable. Which is why I don't use it.

19. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Well, to answer my own question, it's not totally crazy but it's not all that cool, either. Mostly the American Sound adds a somewhat complex series of knobs to slightly alter what the PR already does. Keeping the voice on the BF side, you can turn the drive up / level down to get a bit more breakup. But it's not all that different from just turning up the amp. Turning the voice/character knob into tweed territory does 'raw up' or 'mid up' the sound, but it's not all that different from normal PR, and not all that similar to my actual tweeds.

I can see why many amp owners use this, and if you don't already own a 'highly vintage' PR clone, you'd probably get more mileage out of the BF settings. The tweed side is nice if not totally real.

I can see why folks use this as a clean boost, too, since specific settings can give you a nice chime-y singing OD (this setup is close to the 'Singin' 59 Bassman' settings suggested in the original Tech21 Blonde manual).

upload_2019-10-28_17-44-35.png
    Twisting the dials a bit can give you more scoop or more chime than a BF has at rest. OTOH, with my PR at least, turning up the amp and twisting the EQ knobs can get you much the same sounds without any extra noise or 'solid state' sheen.

It's definitely not a bad pedal. Turning up the drive does produce hiss, but the Tech21 manual says this is because the pedal has a lot of range and can boost guitar noise. Some folks feel it makes a poor pedal in front of an amp because it lacks a cab-sim defeat switch, but the Tech21 manual specifically says this isn't a problem, and explains why.

I'm gonna try it straight into my DI for computer recording, but I don't do that a ton. I may give it to my real-musician son-in-law who records a ton straight into his laptop and who plays a Katana at gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.