Joyo 6 band EQ pedal impressions and question

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I got one of these pedals last month and have been amazed at how it can alter the tone of my guitars (in a positive way). It's my first EQ pedal ever, and I wish I had tried one long ago. The only really noticeable noise comes when the treble range sliders are pushed up beyond halfway above the flat setting. Not an issue for me, as I don't care for that much treble boost.

One thing I've noticed is that even with the sliders set at flat, there's a noticeable boost in volume when I engage the pedal. Is this normal for EQ pedals? If you have this Joyo pedal, do you notice this also?

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I don’t have that one, but I do have a cheap 5 band eq (Dano or Berringer), and it includes a volume control.

The Joyo doesn’t have a volume control? It allows me to use it as a clean boost if I want (or not). The only ways I have used them are as an “always on” pedal for decreasing unpleasant frequencies, or boosting pleasant ones that are lacking, or as a boost. It sounds like you are getting a boost regardless.

I would simply set my amp up accordingly, and use it as an always on pedal, or as a boost. I’m not sure it would make a big difference the way I use mine on the rare occasions that I actually use it.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
“Flat” doesn’t always mean +/- 0dB. Most people think sliders decked at middle or knobs at 12:00 is flat but that is only true when the designer makes it that way.
Since they are sliders why don’t you try dropping everything a couple mm and then play a couple chords on/off until you find unity output?

Also every single subcomponent in every circuit affects your signal a small amount. That’s not a bad thing. There’s no single right setting. Don’t be spooked by the midpoint not being neutral. It’s all good.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
“Flat” doesn’t always mean +/- 0dB. Most people think sliders decked at middle or knobs at 12:00 is flat but that is only true when the designer makes it that way.
Since they are sliders why don’t you try dropping everything a couple mm and then play a couple chords on/off until you find unity output?

Also every single subcomponent in every circuit affects your signal a small amount. That’s not a bad thing. There’s no single right setting. Don’t be spooked by the midpoint not being neutral. It’s all good.
That's a great suggestion. Thanks.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I got one of these pedals last month and have been amazed at how it can alter the tone of my guitars (in a positive way). It's my first EQ pedal ever, and I wish I had tried one long ago. The only really noticeable noise comes when the treble range sliders are pushed up beyond halfway above the flat setting. Not an issue for me, as I don't care for that much treble boost.

One thing I've noticed is that even with the sliders set at flat, there's a noticeable boost in volume when I engage the pedal. Is this normal for EQ pedals? If you have this Joyo pedal, do you notice this also?
No volume control on the Joyo.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter

I have the Joyo R-12 and (imho) it’s a keeper. It has a volume control. An EQ pedal can be a real shape shifter. I think they are best as the last peal in the fx loop