Josh Turner cancels Kern County Fair due to bus crash.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Josh was supposed to be here in Kern County for our fair. He played a show in Paso Robles about 90 miles from Bakersfield, and on the trip to here (I think) the bus containing support people for the show veered off the highway and crashed, killing his sound engineer, and severely injuring another person, seven were hospitalized.

Turner and his band were on a separate bus and were unharmed, but stopped and offered assistance to those distressed. The accident occurred not far from where James Dean was killed in 1955. There is a James Dean memorial that people, including me, have stopped and viewed near where both accidents occurred.

Our local news station covered this:

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s terrible.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Sad news. That sucks.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That’s really awful.

Is it a particularly bad section or just a road like any other and there are accidents ?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Sad stuff. I know those roads well. Used to cruise through there on my motorcycles back in the day. I hope the rest can repair themselves and condolences to the unfortunate.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

They've been working on Highway 46 for so many years, I can't remember them not working on it. It's a dangerous road, it used to be pretty much all two-lane with heavy auto traffic mixed with truck traffic. It's been improved a lot, but really should be a four lane freeway. It's a connector between I-5 which runs through the central valley to 101 which is the coast route to Frisco and beyond. Trucks are always on the road there. It's one of two ways of getting to the coast from not only the 5 but from Bakersfield. In summertime, people are coming back from the coast, been partying all weekend, tired, trying to get home in time for work on Monday, you go the math.

From what I read, they won't know what happened fully until after the investigation. Single vehicle accident, but there are some steep ravines all along part of the 46, if you go into one of those, and from what they are reporting that's what happened, it's bad.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

The likes I gave were simply for you comments for the injured. Sometimes the like button really doesn't fit the situation.

boris bubbanov and suthol like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

BTW, there is a road coming from the north that gets most of the Fresno traffic, highway 43 but it ends up connecting to the 46 west of where the Josh Turner rig had a wreck. When I was hauling heavy equipment home from the coast with a permit and pilot car, if there was a bad wreck on 46, they would reroute me over the 43 I'd end up going way north, then have to get back on the 5 to get back to Bakersfield. I haven't been on the 43 in a long time, but it was another really bad road. Hopefully one day they'll get 'em both fixed, doesn't look like it's going to be in my lifetime though.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

so sorry to hear , a crap turn of events ... my condolences to those involved, music should never be painfull!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

sounds similar to the coquahala hwy from Vancouver to Kamloops , they did a TV series called the Hwy through hell , based on the unpredictable weather conditions from sea level to the interior plateau 4,081 feet at the summit , over 28.9 miles, white out conditions and frozen roads , I wont travel to the coast in the winter time especially at night.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

isn't this the kind of thing that sidelined the New Cars tour?

sorry to those affected and hope that healing comes soon.

(and, yeah, the "like" button can be misunderstood)

12. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

There are no good roads between Hwy 1 and 5, they all wind through the coast range. I think I’ve tried them all at one time or another. Sad story - hope the injured are back on their feet soon.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

He cancelled the entire fair?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Well yes he did, good thing too, 'cause there weren't going to be any chickens out there this year anyway. My niece's daughter who's nine years old explained it to me, She stood up straight, and said we can't take our chickens out there this year when we show our goats, because of the Newcastle bird flue, if you take one chicken out there, no mater how many other chickens are there, and then she extended her arms for effect, they would all die!

(You couldn't help yourself could you?) ( Ignore the meat, and go straight for the gnat ) :D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

CA 43 is the one over there by Wasco, Shafter and all that; closer to you.

CA 41 is the hectic road that runs from where Dean was killed, up to Fresno and on up to Yosemite (and the worst of that IMO is well North of Fresno now, crazy).

Yeah, since CA 46 is all Four Lane now from Paso, out to Shandon, the likelihood of wrecks tends to be concentrated from Shandon, east across the Diablo Range to where it goes back to Four Lanes at the base of the range. Everything goes back to like it was before, maybe some blackened vegetation and some disturbed soil. CA 46 has taken a serious share of lives - vehicular wrecks are a major source of deaths around there and my parents (in Shandon) are under strict instructions to go the back way via Camp 8 Road.

In 1993, NONE of CA 46 was more than two lanes, from end to end. Now, they're something like 60% done but the traffic must be 300% or more of what it once was. This clearly is a "If we build it, they will come" situation. Beware the construction east of Lost Hills at the junction of CA 46 and I-5. Lost 25 minutes there the other day.

CA has lots of "crazy" roads. CA 58 from B'field over to Mojave is a nuthouse. Once the overpass at Kramer Junction (US 395) is finished, the volume will just double - there's no real end in sight. CA 17 from Santa Clara to Los Gatos. CA has more than their share, and when people arrive in droves each week from other States and Countries (and cultures) and jump onto these roads, problems are just about inevitable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

You are right of course about the number of highway 41, it just slipped my mind I guess. Also, 43 is just as you say. I am not out and about much these days, and sometimes I forget the number of the highways, or maybe just write them down wrong. I'm quite familiar with the routes though. The wrecks mostly occur on 46 where it is two lane. The argument by the state has always been that there is not enough traffic to justify a freeway on 46. We have a population of about forty million squeezed into a space, that didn't work all that well as far as traffic goes when it was only twenty million. Combined with the fact that many of the drivers are unlicensed for a variety of reasons doesn't help a whole lot.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear that.

By the way, don't be foolish and order the Crab Cakes at Tagnazzini's. Their other offerings are so great, there's absolutely no reason to make this mistake.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

I'll keep that in mind! :)

19. Toto'sDad

One night while myself and three of my golfing buddies were on a golfing elephant hunt in one of the guy's motorhome, we got thrown out of Rosa's in Morro Bay. When we got out to the motorhome where we had illegally parked, figuring if we got ticketed it wouldn't be all that much, and we'd split the fine, we discovered my buddy had locked his keys in the motorhome. About that time, the manager who had just thrown us out of his place walked out on the sidewalk, saw our predicament and came over to help. He was a whiz with locks and got us back in the motorhome.

We found a place to park and I went to bed. I woke up to find we were moving, but came to a screeching halt. The guy chiefly responsible for getting us thrown out of Rosa's decided to take the motor home for a drive while the rest of us slept. He somehow had gotten off main road, onto a dirt road and was just about to go over a cliff when the screaming from one of the other guy's (which is what woke me up) made him come to a stop. Trips like that one, are one of the reasons I am very thankful to have given up drinking alcohol altogether. We played Chalk Mountain and Morro Bay that weekend. Little Bobby who was a notorious shanker of the golf ball managed to infect every unsuspecting would be do gooder who tried to help him on various driving ranges that weekend. I was glad to get back home in one piece. The Central California coast is a fun, fun, place!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.