1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Josh Smith goes with Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Billy3, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

He spent a lot of time in yesterdays Q&A vid guaranteeing that it is .. and why not .. After all it's a $2500 guitar .. That ain't cheap.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    LPTyler, Golem and StevesBoogie like this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Ooh, I like that a lot. But I’m an Ibanez junkie.

I probably wouldn’t buy it. Part of the appeal of Ibanez for me is you can get a really quality, easy playing instrument for not a ton of money. The bang for the buck is pretty great when you look for used stuff from the 80s and 90s.

But I like the look of it a lot with the traditional body style and I’m sure it’s excellent quality.

jman72, nicknklv and Golem like this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, a smiley face control plate. Hideous!

driver8 likes this.
  4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah .. I mean what a horrible idea .. To combine the normal placing of the knobs with the comfort of having the slider like on a strat.

**** comfort .. Looks are all that matter .. and in that vein, wtf is up with the longer horn and funny looking headstock ... btw why is it not butterscotch ... screw all this!

StevesBoogie and hepular like this.
  5. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Alex_C likes this.
  6. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

The Josh Smith is 9.5" radius

The AZS models are 12" radius

StevesBoogie likes this.
  7. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In one of the video's he said they are the same. He said Ibanez offered a light Nitro finish. But he is playing the same one as you can buy.

8. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

He said they offer a light POLY finish. That seemed odd to me since he said that Ibanez let him do whatever he wanted.

9. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

re: the control plate: watch how often Smith changes pickups. i'd bet they started with "i want the switch HERE'

i also like the looks of the bridge: those traditional raised edges do not get along with my hand.

if mike stern and cornell dupree could play yamaha, josh smith can play ibanez...

StevesBoogie and blues like this.
  10. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

He said they offered him a nitro finish to use as his personal guitar. My bad.

I did not have my coffee yet I should have been more clear. There are two video's. One he said he will use one that is a production model. They are polly.

11. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Josh is a beast, I am sure the guitar is great but I too struggle with that price point. It may be comparable to the competition, but in the final analysis, what does that guitar get me that the $700 Player series tele does not? Right now, the answer for me is nothing. You can argue "better" wood or hardware but I am not convinced. I can update bridge/saddles etc if inclined and still be way under $2500. I have bought and own instruments north of $2k and I play them right along side my $400 Classic Vibe Tele. How much I paid for them is never a thought. They play well, sound good and serve their purpose. Maybe the fact that I have the skills to do my own setups and modifications is a mitigating factor but I really don't do much of that. Change a pot value or a pickup is about it in most cases. I suppose fine tuning the nut is the most impactful mods I do

It's all down to build quality. With vastly improved quality processes, CNC machining etc (that they are using on these models too) and just 50 years of building experience the differences between 700 and 2500 instruments are measured with a micrometer. Sure, a $99 Bullet is a different matter, I won't argue that but even those instruments are light years ahead of what I started on and learned to mod because they were so bad.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Why criticize a guitarist for the choice of instrument they play?

Josh has worked extremely hard to get where he is today. He's paid his dues, and he's in demand because he knows what he's doing.

Remember when Steve Cropper got his sig Peavey? A whole bunch of self-appointed Telecaster desciples raised a hue and cry for violating Tha Sacred Law and playing something else. Really?

13. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

He can play whatever he choses. That said, his new guitar seems to be just a re-bodied Ibanez Talman guitar. Do I like it's looks, yes because copying something is the greatest form of flattery:D ... You can buy a 'other' brand of Les Paul made by a hundred of copy cat manufacturers
    But it just doesn't inspire awe & reverance of the real thing. It's like that with a real Telecaster, reverence to a truely legendary guitar.

14. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, I really like his Chapin... he's had some amazing performances with it, and it just great tone through his Morgan GOAT amp. Probably not available in volume, the Chapin guitars start at the same price point...

I can't fault him for going with Ibanez. They seem to be more up to date and practical in their recent models than Fender. For a few years their models in this price range have stainless steel frets, roasted maple, contoured heel, locking tuners, Duncan and DiMarzio pickups, etc. Fender is just starting to offer some of this, and not consistently.

driver8 likes this.
  15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Dude is a beast, has some great videos on some of his technique & approaches as well. Congrats Mr. Smith!

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have no issue with it overall, just the control plate. To be honest I’d rather not have a control plate at all.
    There’s not much new here, like the PRS Silver Sky.
    It’s marketing but in reality, for the artist, it’s all about the “benjamins”. (IMO)

driver8 likes this.
  17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Kind of off topic but since this one (the AZN model) was posted earlier:

The AZN model is compound radius 9.5" to 12" - it's the only AZ Strat-style model that isn't 12". Also the AZN has lower-output pickups compared to the other HSS AZ models and has the decked trem with brass saddles and block like the trem model AZSs.

Back on topic - those curved control plates on the Smith signature and the hard-tail AZS model reminds me of the one from the G&L Espada that came out last year (based on a prototype Leo was working on before he joined Music Man but never went back to after he left Music Man and started G&L):

[​IMG]

18. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

I'm with you. Josh is awesome, and Ibanez makes some good guitars - I like the ones with the mini-humbucker, but that control plate is ridic! I don't see the advantage over traditional - in fact, it looks like you have to reach even farther to adjust vol/tone. Maybe it feels different when you play it. 2500 tho, yikes! I'll stick with my Classic Vibe ;-)

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right?

I can’t even find a Wiki page.

I recall another thread here recently where someone was criticizing Fender for not having a Josh Smith signature guitar in their 2021 line and instead having Jason Isbell and Chrissy Hynde. Ok then.

Is he one of these YouTube channel
    celebs like Andy from PGS, Shane from Intheblues, etc?

20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I will never understand signature models. In my opinion (which admittedly nobody has requested), they do the opposite of what they are intended. A somewhat counterintuitive result is that they actually dilute the player's "brand". I don't understand 1) the desire of a well-known player to have one, nor 2) do I understand the consumer's urge to purchase one. Mark Lettieri's recent PRS signature model leaves me equally flummoxed. Also, it seems like ultimately the players typically abandon their models in fairly short order.

Oh, well...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.