1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Josh is blown away by cheap Chinese pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

We're a largely North American and European bunch. The Chinese aren't thinking about those markets; they're thinking globally.

If you produce a $75 pedal, let's say you can sell 10,000 copies into markets that have the purchasing power to buy them. If you produce a $25 pedal, you can sell into markets that can't afford a more-expensive product and pick up a smattering of people in the $75 product's market who've been conditioned by Wal Mart to want things at the lowest possible prices. Let's say there's a market for 100,000 of those. At a $10 markup on either pedal, your choice is to make $100,000 on the expensive product or $1,000,000 on the cheaper one.

I used to see the same thing on a motorcycle forum dedicated to a large-displacement bike that is, in the grand scheme of things, a specialty item. The Americans thought Honda should be producing more models like it and servicing our market (mostly western Europe and North America). Their annual reports were clearly showing a strong market for inexpensive, small-displacement bikes in Asia, and they were tooling up to take advantage of it. In 2019, Honda produced 20,800,000 motorcycles and all but 620,000 ended up in India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, China and other Asian countries. The American market as a whole isn't even a fart in that windstorm, much less one specialty model.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    kodiakblair, beninma and Tim S like this.
  2. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

If a new batch of a pedal doesn’t sell out immediately, then it’s just not worth getting. That’s a true fact.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It kind of depends on the "boutique builder". Stuff like Keeley, JHS, Earthquaker and others like them are. I'm not sure that some boutique overdrive/fuzz pedals made in a basement by some random guy using unobtanium parts sprinkled with unicorn dander are exactly gig durable.

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

almost the entire history of amps, pedals and synthesizers is IP "theft."

5. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I mostly buy used at 60% of new. The ZenDrive and Boss '63 Reverb were new. The TC Trinity was new but quit working. All the rest were gifts or used.

6. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I am happy to support any Chinese citizens that produce the Donner & Mooer pedals I own. I am happy with their performance as well as their price.

I don’t see it as virtuous to boycott a product based on what the home country’s government does. Those factory workers do not control what their government does. They are just trying to bring home a paycheck to support the family — the same as most of us do.

7. loopfinding

beninma and kLyon like this.
  8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Like anything there's junk made in China and really high quality stuff made in China. While I'm happy to pay a little extra for domestic products, I suspect that most made-in-USA pedals incorporate at least some Chinese manufactured components.

To the topic at hand, I have 1 cheap MIC pedal the Joyo Actone which I bought after Tech21 discontinued the character series of pedals. It sounds good and does a decent job for a Vox in a box pedal.

9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How you vote with your wallet is your decision. It's a big tent.

JuneauMike and northernguitar like this.
  10. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I'm curious which Donner pedals were noisy crap? I have three, two of which I gig with, and all are quiet as can be. In fact my Donner compressor is noticably less noisy than my bandmates "brand name" compressor. The Donner Yellow Fall, which I've gigged with for several years, is an outstanding delay. As much as I like the MXR Echoplex I recently got, it was 5 times the price of the Donner and it is in no way five times the pedal (it's also has more noise than the Donner.)

11. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

If you don't think the government is controlling what the factory does...

JuneauMike and northernguitar like this.
  12. loopfinding

oh i just meant that price point. maybe i'm unfairly pigeonholing them. joyo for sure is avoid territory for me.

13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

My most durable pedal was made that way. Top notch parts, sturdy build.

JuneauMike likes this.
  14. loopfinding

beninma likes this.
  15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

The Chinese pedals are heavily subsidized, so its hard to say what is junk. Their labor is cheap/captive, components can be had for what the government decides should be paid, and regulatory hurdles are non-existent. They aren't cheap because they've built a better mouse trap, they are cheap so that they can do maximum harm to US competitors.

If there were no more Western pedal companies, then we'd find out what a Joyo American Sound was really worth. I'm sure it would cost more then the $35 I paid for mine.

The Chinese are generally dirtbags for a lot of reasons already mentioned, but they provide a cheap entry point for a lot of Western kids who can then go on to eventually buy Keeley, or JHS or some new promising pedal builder as their tastes become more refined. There is an upshot to everything if you look hard enough, I guess.

Bluego1 and northernguitar like this.
  16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

I'm blown away by my Kmise "Analog" delay pedal I paid $22 for. It's absolutely incredible for a $22 pedal. It'll go into Self-oscillations and all sorts of stuff. Just, a standard 3 knob delay pedal that's supposed to reproduce the bucket brigade effect in digital form, I guess.

Also have a Mosky Demon Tube Screamer, which has a TS808 circuit and TS9 circuit built into the pedal with a switch to choose between one or the other. Fantastic pedal! Pretty much anyone I know who's tried one has good things to say about it. It was about $25 from China. Bought it on AliExpress about 6 months ago.

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    We've just removed a raft of posts in this thread. People... please read the rules.

If this continues, the thread will be removed and a few folks will be getting a temporary ban.

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

[delete

19. david_dave_davey

david_dave_davey TDPRI Member

The blind pedal test show that sonically some of the affordable pedals are on point so if, it is a question of durability how hard are you stomping on it while at home, statistics show most are not touring or gigging musicians, if you are it's smaller venues or you using a quartermaster type set up if you got a bunch of stuff anyway, BTW I'm biased ever since JHS did that behringer video I love them things got most of them

20. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft TDPRI Member

Country of origin doesn't make a difference as much as the spec required.

Check out some very old Chinese furniture joinery. Interlocking invisible joints in some cases. The craftsmanship is unbelievable.

And my iPad I use for recording. They cost a pretty penny too.

Oldschoolwax and NoTeleBob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.