Jordan Peterson on "Being Creative"

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Peterson is brilliant. Been listening to/reading him for years.

We all know there are creative geniuses in their bedrooms who will never "amount to anything" professionally... that in no way reduces their talent or level of creativity, it simply means they do not have what it takes to, or do not want to, do the rest of the work that it takes to make it a "living." And that's fine. Some of the most impressive musicianship I have ever heard/seen has been on YouTube, by people who are incredibly talented, but no one has ever, and likely never will, know about them.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
Peterson is brilliant. Been listening to/reading him for years.

We all know there are creative geniuses in their bedrooms who will never "amount to anything" professionally... that in no way reduces their talent or level of creativity, it simply means they do not have what it takes to, or do not want to, do the rest of the work that it takes to make it a "living." And that's fine. Some of the most impressive musicianship I have ever heard/seen has been on YouTube, by people who are incredibly talented, but no one has ever, and likely never will, know about them.

I would argue the concept of "making it" to be a massive flaw in the logic of gurus who try to preach.

Just sticking to music/art, I'd say the vast majority of those I know who try to attain their highest personal levels not only couldn't give a damn about "making it," "making it" was never an option. Injecting ape hierarchy into everyone else is for lazy minds.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I would argue the concept of "making it" to be a massive flaw in the logic of gurus who try to preach.

Just sticking to music/art, I'd say the vast majority of those I know who try to attain their highest personal levels not only couldn't give a damn about "making it," "making it" was never an option. Injecting ape hierarchy into everyone else is for lazy minds.
I don't think anyone mentioned "making it." Because of course, that would be something different to each person. There's certainly nothing "lazy" about Peterson's mind, lol.

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
If the definition of "making it" is monetary, that ignores the aspect of self-fulfillment that in my mind is sufficient reward for the creative process. I think Guy Clark expressed it best in his song Cold Dog Soup:

"Ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free"