Jordan Bosstone circuit related to other fuzzes?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TVeye, Jul 2, 2014.

1. TVeye

TVeye TDPRI Member

I bought an EHX Satisfaction recently, which I've read is basically a Jordan Bosstone minus the clipping diodes and with a changed output cap somewhere in the circuit. Out of curiosity, I've been looking around on the internet trying to find out if the Bosstone/Satisfaction circuit is similar to the Fuzzface or Tonebender circuits, but haven't been able to find an answer. Anyone on here know? I know next to nothing about electronics and can't read a schematic, unfortunately, so can't piece it together myself...

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

TTBOMK, there's nothing similar.

I can't say for certain, as the Bosstone came out a few years after the Sola Sound/Arbiter/etc. pedals.

I can say that it's nothing like a Fuzz Face or Tonebender (any variation).

It uses a "N-channel" AND a "P-channel" transistor. Even if we are talking silicon or germanium, the Tonebender/Fuzz Face/etc. all have the same types of transistors.

The Bosstone adjusts the fuzz amount by adding series resistance at its input - this is unusual compared to other fuzzes.

It also uses small input and output caps - there's really no "mechanism" to obnoxiously exaggerate bass.

You yourself mentioned the clipping diodes on the output - the really old fuzzes primarily didn't have clipping diodes, or at least not right at the output. It might be commonly found today with something like the Les Lius or Speaker Cranker, but in the late 60's it was kind of a new thing.

Another difference/advantage? By using the "P-channel" second transistor, it basically becomes a nice output buffer - it's a rare instance of a fuzz that has a good output impedance. And since the second transistor is used in this configuration, it becomes irrelevant as to whether it is germanium or silicon - so with today's high cost of obsolete germanium transistors, there's no need to waste money experimenting with them in the Bosstone, IMO.

...Unless you want to expand things outwards to other fuzzes that are less well known or came along later, the Bosstone truly is different in possibly every way imaginable. And I think that's why it's so good at cutting thru a mix, and has its own unique way of sounding rude when dimed.

3. TVeye

TVeye TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info, 11 Gauge. The Satisfaction is a pretty cool sounding fuzz, especially for $50-ish. I might have a friend with some soldering ability put in a switchable output cap so that I can add more bass when wanted (read about that mod somewhere on this forum).

4. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

You may also want to check out the Voodoo lab superfuzz. It's the bosstone circuit as well. In fact I think it was called the bosstone at one time. I have one on my board and it doesn't see the same amount of playing time as my FF but it's got its own cool thing going on.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've found that a bigger input cap tends to have "cooler results." And when I say bigger, I don't mean MUCH bigger. If stock is .022uF, I actually wouldn't go as large as .1uF (although some tweakers do). While sizes like .056uF or .068uF are uncommon, they can really "hit the sweet spot."

It's been rumored that the Trombetta fuzzes use the Bosstone for some foundational elements, and you can get some "horn-like effects" depending on how you alter things. It gets away from the stock Bosstone sound, but it might be fun to play with just the same.

I find the stock fuzz/attack mechanism to allow things to be on the noisy side, so I like to tweak the Bosstone to use "other methods."

I have to say that I find the Bosstone to probably be more usable for live stuff than any other fuzz design. This surprised even me!

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I put a diode-lift switch on my last JBT but liked it better with the clipping diodes engaged. If you're considering modding it, you might try adding an opposing pair of 1N4001's which could be mounted on the switch.

If you want to hear some stock JBT tones on record, check out some of the old Spirit albums. The late Randy California is the patron saint of the bosstone. It makes a great distortion pedal at lower gain settings or with the guitar volume rolled back.

7. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Hey TVeye, how noisy is the Satisfaction? As 11G noted, Bosstones are notoriously noisy pedals. I'm wondering if EHX was able to lower the noise floor any.

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

George Lynch used a Bosstone on the first Dokken album - and still keeps one around the studio for use as needed.

9. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

Great posts again from Gauge 11!

10. artdecade

Seriously?! 11G always does great posts - we all know this! That's his forte! But I tied George Friggin' Lynch and Dokken into a post about fuzzes on a Telecaster forum!

[​IMG]

Sure... it had no real impact on the thread... but whatever. :lol:

11. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

The Satisfaction is currently my favorite of my collection of 20 fuzzes. Here's why -

-very natural, vintage fuzz sound (not too synthy or like distortion)

-sharp, articulate attack

-pleasing envelope

-handles chords well

-cleans up to OD or clean with guitar volume

-tracks very well (gives a consistent effect across the fretboard and strings and with different picking dynamics)

-sounds good with either pickup, and neck w/tone down

- works well following a wah

- provides plenty of volume without being noisy

image-1906105417.jpg

I tried putting in 1N34A DO-35 germanium diodes in the provided spaces and they reduced the volume but added tasty harmonics and squishyness. I also tried adding a cap and it adds bass and volume. These options make it a very versatile pedal. I'm thinking of getting a second one so I can have one with diodes and one without.

12. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

That's what I was hoping to hear.

13. TVeye

TVeye TDPRI Member

Yeah, it's not too bad noise-wise, though I haven't had a chance to really crank it up yet. Definitely WAY better than my other EHX fuzz - a Big Muff with Tone-Wicker which can get almost unusably noisy with wicker switch on, tone switched off and the gain high.

14. TVeye

TVeye TDPRI Member

What value cap did you use? I'm planning to get a friend to do this mod for me, but make it switchable so I can go back to stock when I want.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds like an unusable setting, regardless of the noise level ;)

16. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

I tried each of the four different value caps that came with my Keeley Fuzz Head, and they all added volume and slightly different amounts of bass woofyness. I think the higher value, the more bass, but very small perceivable differences. I think I preferred the 153? (Lowest value), but that's my taste.

17. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

I did these mods to my satisfaction fuzz and put them on switches. It's documented in the satisfaction fuzz thread. I really like it a lot and think its worth doing. Plenty of space to work on in there, hard to mess up, and cheap.

I did the same thing to my east river drive and am really liking that too. Really like ehx right now. I'm getting curious about their NYC nano muff. Wondering if they put mod points on that board as well.

18. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Zombie thread, but this cracked me up .

Been playing different guitars & pedals with my MHP Ballstone lately & reading about the Bosstone this morning.

19. artdecade

I'm good for a laugh here and there!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.