Jonny Lang "long Time Coming" ... any good ?

Captainobvious

TDPRI Member
I really enjoy his first album " Lie To Me"
He sounds like a really good up and coming blues artist. Anyone gotten a chance to check out his new album Long Time Coming?
If so, how is it...I'm thinking of picking it up.
P.S.-He's also a tele player which scores extra points :lol:

dk

TDPRI Member
Sad to say, but I've been a fan for quite some time - in spite of the detractors - I think the kid has real talent. I applaud his desire to expand musically and broaden his offerings beyond blues-based music. However, I found his recent CD uninspiring - nothing on it really gabbed me.

Just my 2 cents.

JohnK24

Friend of Leo's
Title track is killer acoustic blues

the balance of the album sounds like something Prince wrote/produced/sang...Jonny's voice sound very much like the Minnesota Wonder...lotsa falsetto. The guitar work is just okay, nothing really rips out, he's left the blues behind for a r&b/funk styling. I like "Beauty Woman" and "Red Light", but the rest of the cd...nothing great. I bought it on the first day of it's release hoping for some tasty chops.

He's growing as an artist, I'll give him that much.

mojocaster

Tele-Meister
While I do agree with dk a little, I still think that it is worth a listen. I think that if you look at it from a more pop or r&b standpoint it helps. It is not really a rock and blues album like so of his others are. But if you didn't like Walk This World, his last album, you won't like this one. Just my 2 cents, too.

davetcan

Tele-Meister
Sorry to hear

that he's leaving his roots behind. I thought the first album was terrific, we cover 3 of his songs "Rack 'em Up, Still Wonder, and Matchbox, and his Tele tone was incredible.

Brutalblues

Tele-Afflicted
I previewed it at Borders...

and I wouldn't buy it (sorry Jonny, if you're lurking here!)
because he's trying to leave the Blues behind (spelled s-e-l-l-o-u-t). He's trying to be more like Justin Timberflake. Too bad.

doubleneck

TDPRI Member
The Prince reference is interesting.
Since he is in Minneapolis, the whole town has some trickle down from the P-man.

Sounds like I would like the nw one too, I will check it out.

does anyone know what became of the other Minn wonder, Shannon Curfman?

aln413

Tele-Meister
ive dug ALL jonny's stuff so far,i find it hard that he'll disapoint me!! although i havent heard it yet.gonna hafta get it !!!

John Harrison

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Jonny Lang

I took a cruise to the Mexican Riviera, a few years ago, and Jonny was the headliner for a teen award program. He played solo, just himself and an acoustic guitar. While his guitar playing (acoustic rhythm) was amateurish (really!), I was highly impressed with his voice, I heard a lot of Stevie Wonder influence. Lang told the audience (primarily teenaged girls - I was with my daughter so as to not be too conspicuous! :lol: ) that he'd grown up on R&B, so, those are his roots - his guitar teacher was a blues freak and also was his bandleader, thus his blues focus, at the time.
I recall saying, at the time, on a TDPRI thread, that I wouldn't be surprised to see Lang become more widely known as a singer, than as a hotshot guitarist. Hopefully, he continue to grow in both directions.

porklash

Tele-Meister
I read an interview with him when `he was promoting the second album and all he talked about was Prince so I belive sellout is a hard word.
To be honest, he never convinced me as a blues musician. But then I blamed it on age.

pEr

J_Gordon

TDPRI Member
Haven't heard it yet but...

...I'm curious to hear his new stuff, too.

While I'm not a Jonny Lang fan at least he's trying to promote R&B and blues music opposed to the bland pop that's dominating the charts.

Also, Jonny is still out there making records & touring which is a lot more than most musicians can say. Heck, if selling out is making a living playing music then call me a sellout wannabe. I'd rather be doing what Jonny's doing then being a desk jockey for the rest of my life. Music is a tough business & my hat's off to those who are doing it professionally.

tdp46

TDPRI Member
Never been a fan but....

caught a session he did for the BBC in the UK and have to say I was impressed by what I saw live. Made me think I should delve (good word eh!) deeper.

michael123

Tele-Meister
i saw him warm up beck a few years ago. i was fortunate to catch one song on the sound check just prior to being removed because i had no credentials! he did the tune "darker side" from lie to me, the kid just absolutely smoked. i am a fan of the blues and it is disappointing to me to see him leaving the genre.

Bluesgtr20

Tele-Meister
Guys I used to love JL for a singer and a guitar player. I have never been turned off so much by a new album before. There is even somewhat of a rap song on the new album. I truely do hate it. BUt that is just my subjective opinion. Defintely listen to the clips on amazon.com before you buy.

davetcan

Tele-Meister
Disappointed!

I guess I'm just disappointed that the Blues has lost a potential superstar, IMHO anyway. When SRV left us I just felt that not only would he be impossible to replace but that Blues in general would take a step back after a resurgence thanks mainly to SRV and EC finding himself again. Then along came Jonny and Kenny Wayne Shepperd and I thought o.k. all is not lost, the kids are picking it up. I know the ability is still there so with any luck he'll cut another blues album in the future.

skip62

Tele-Meister
My buddy from work loaned it to me yesterday. The first time through it was ok, but I left in the car cd player and listened again today, and it's actually growing on me. JMHO...