1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jonesing for a Wampler OD but which one?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mark, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

I'm looking for a new mid gain OD. I'm currently using an Analogman Prince of Tone. I also have a CMATMODS Signa Drive and a BB Preamp. I like all three, but I've been listening to clips of most of the Wampler ODs; and they all sound great. I don't know if some sound better with certain guitars and amps, but I'm using mostly single coils through either a Valvetech Hayseed 30 or Vox AC 30. I'm leaning toward the Euphoria but I'd appreciate any input.

2. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

I'd go for the hot wired. for an extra $70 you get a tweed style OD and a marshall-esque distortion in one box. But if you're down for the dumble-y euphoria maybe that's best for you. Its your rig. ;)

3. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I had the Euphoria. It is a great pedal with a lot of flexibility, maybe too much.
    I could never make it sound quite right thru my DRRI, but then others rave about it thru one so it was probably just me.

4. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Go for a Barber Gain Changer. Owned the Wampler Paisley Drive, Pinnacle, and Euphoria. I like the Gain Changer better. I like the EQ on the Barber better plus it has 5 different settings on 2 toggle switches with both high and low gain settings that are very useful. It'll save you between $50 - $70 depending on where you buy it too. Just my .02

5. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Currently own 6 of his pedals. And have owned more in the past. Can you elaborate on what kind of music you play? What are you trying to achieve? Are you wanting to replace one of your existing pedals or no?

WaylonFan76 likes this.
  6. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

Yeah, the Hot Wired clips are very impressive; especially the vids of Brent Mason playing his namesake pedal. But I love both my "Marshall" hi gain and lo gain pedals (CMATMODS Brownie and Butah) I'm also really into the Analogman POT lately. It's got a little mid spike and definitely some attitude. This is really just a bad case of G.A.S

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've always thought, after listening to the youtube demos, that the Ecstasy/Euphoria was the best of the bunch. That is my taste, though. They all sound really good!

8. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

I'm playing southern rock, country, R&R, blues, surf tunes, etc. Pretty much anything but metal. I use the Butah as a transparent crunch, and I only use the Brownie on a couple tunes. I used tube screamers for years, and I like that mid spike for leads.

9. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Cool. The euphoria is a great pedal. Pretty transparent. Smooth mode kinda adds some dumble type hair on the notes, open is a great clean boost, and crunch can almost get into fuzz territory. I use it mainly in the smooth mode for blues music. Mainly rhythm playing since there's no mid boost like a TS.

My personal favorite is the Tweed 57 and I use it for classic rock, southern rock, and blues. It's absolutely killer. If I could only have one pedal, that would be it. You can make it sound like Joe Walsh, Buddy Guy, Neil Young, Jimi, you name it. Just an incredible pedal. It just feels natural no matter how you set it up. Like an extension of me and my amp.

Those are my two faves FWIW. I play blues and classic rock with blackface style amps. If you want a TS style pedal, he has some options. The paisley is kind of like one foot in the screamer pond (supposed to overdrive like a Dr Z amp). The clarksdale is diving in head first.

10. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Just for grins, of the Wampler dirt pedals I've owned, here's a list from most to least favorite IME. YMMV.

Tweed 57
    Euphoria
    Velvet
    Plexi Drive
    Ace Thirty
    Pinnacle
    Sovereign
    Clarksdale
    Black 65
    Paisley

11. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

They make something to suit most tastes. I have a soft spot for the Hot Wired2 and Ace Thirty.

The Hot Wired 2 can use both sides to create a clean blend like in a Sparkle Drive plus the Hot Wired is really flexible.

Ace Thrity I like a lot but that is a specific flavor you may or may not like.

12. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

I love my Dual Fusion.

13. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I own a Wampler Black '65 and the Euphoria. My two favorite OD pedals.
    I want to try their new TS808 pedal. Sounds great in demo videos.

14. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I'd go with the Ace 30 because it seems you've got all of the other bases covered.

15. TravisF

TravisF NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys, Travis from Wampler here. I just thought I'd put in my two cents.
    The Thirty Something (formerly Ace Thirty) may not be what you need as you are already playing through Vox-ish amps.
    The Euphoria is our best selling OD pedal and I think for good reason. It can get saturated it you'd like, or in the "Open" setting it really retains your original tone - just adds dirt.
    The Hotwired is a great pedal as well, and the clean blend feature on the OD side is great, but the Distortion channel is pretty unique. It is a bit more raw, and Marshall-esque.
    All that being said, I would take a look at our Dual Fusion. I'm sure you know this, but it features tweaked versions of our Euphoria, and Paisley Drive.
    Channel 1 is the tweaked Euphoria - Basically you loose the "Crunch" setting and the bass control is set at about 9 oclock. Channel 2 is the tweaked Paisley Drive - it's going to be tighter and darker - and have a bit more gain on tap. I'm a huge fan of stacking ODs so this is my favorite. You get a lot of bang for your buck with the Dual Fusion when you consider it's only about 35 bucks more than the Paisley Drive.
    Sorry for being long winded here, but I just wanted to chime in. I hope this helps.

Evil Funk likes this.
  16. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

:oops: Ouch, I missed the part the OP said he played an AC-30! Nice tips there!

17. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Boss. :D

18. sanhozay

sanhozay Tele-Meister

the dual fusion sounds wonderful. i really am impressed by the versatility and overdrive quality on my paisley drive. pretty dirty if needed but retains great clarity and is easy to dial in. very fun pedal. i have a vox ac15, marshall 18 watt klone & pricenton reverb copy. solid box with all those amps.

19. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Ironic to read this after my post about my Euphoria!

I am sitting down this afternoon and working with it some more. Love my Paisley for mid gain stuff.

20. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

TWEED 57

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.