Jonesing for a Vibroverb RI. Help/Advise Needed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drri, Jun 12, 2019.

1. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Really wanting a Vibroverb pretty badly but curious if I should even go this route so I'd like some advice from those that own them or have owned them. How well can this amp be used for classic rock tones? I"ve seen plenty of SRV type videos which is great cause I'm a huge SRV fan but I also need to pull off rock stuff to.

Current amps: Alessandro handwired Deluxe Reverb (not jiving well with this amp right now for some reason, just not giving me the sound I want, may be time for a tube re-fresh..) At one time this amp couldn't get any better and I was able to get the sounds I wanted, not sure what happened. There is either an issue with the amp or my tastes have changed.

Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini head into a 1x12 Creamback 65 (this is my main amp right now, only using the clean channel and it's been serving me well since I use pedals for all dirt.)

The bands I play with do mostly classic rock, and I get all my dirt from pedals. I'm on a Wampler kick right now so I'm using either an Euphoria, Clarksdale, Tumnus Deluxe, Pantheon. So those are my main concern to work well (which that pretty much covers a broad range in OD's).

I play Fender's and Gibson's so Tele's, Strat's, SG's, LP's, 335's will all be used and swapped.

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Your looking for a ‘64 Custom Shop Vibroverb RI. I owned a ‘63 Vibroverb RI which is also a great amp. I’m also into SRV and I’m using a BF Super Reverb to get close to his tones. Since your into Wampler pedals, try a Wampler Black ‘65 with your DR. The one Wampler pedal that I will never sell.

For good low-medium volume SRV tones I run a Tube Screamer TS808HW (or a Clarksdale) into my Black ‘65 and then into my BFDR or my BFSR.

639100B2-BF4B-4D54-86F9-B8F16A75BA9F.jpeg E1B40A96-1BC9-4D22-B6F2-0775FC2FFD8D.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

As has been well-documented here, I’m an ecstatic and enthusiastic owner and proponent of the ‘63-reissue Vibroverb. I really can’t complain in any way, except the fact that it won’t break up until ear-splitting volumes.

But as @gridlock said above, it sounds like you want a ‘64 Vibroverb Custom—the blackface 1x15-loaded reimagined/modified model based on the mods done to Stevie Ray Vaughan’s amps by Cesar Diaz...it’s a similar-but-markedly-different animal from my beloved 63RIVV.

To answer your question re: using the 64 Vibroverb Custom (or a ‘63-reissue Vibroverb, for that matter) for classic rock...
    Yes, it will definitely work for classic rock, especially if you’re putting some pedals in front of it; the usual coterie of stompboxes that we all know and love—distortion, fuzz, and overdrive, or add a boost or some modulation effects—you’ll be classic rockin’ in no time.

drri, gridlock and dannyh like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is the least expensive way that I have found to get that SRV tone simply by plugging into an amp. Find a Super Twin Reverb.....yes, it is 180 watts and heavy, but plug a Strat in and there it is. We have to remember that Texas Flood was recorded on Jackson Browne’s Dumble. The Super Twin Reverb has that big firm sound to a Tee. Why shouldn’t it? It has the same basic preamp that the Dumble has....AB763. And....it has the big 2 x 220mfd filters in series....which is one of the secrets to almost all of the big time boutique amps.....good, strong filtration.
    I was surprised when I heard that first note out of a STR..... if you are ever around one, plug in. That SRV sound is there.
    If I wanted to make a Super Reverb do that thing, I would push the first stage of filtration....maybe even go to a Solid state rectifier to get there. A TR or a Dual Showman Reverb can take the 2 x 220mfds easily since they are already SS rectified.

scelestus likes this.
  5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Don't mean to hijack this, but Wally - what does filtration do? How does it affect the sound?

scelestus likes this.
  6. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

It cuts some noise and smooths out ripples in the DC current, if I remember correctly.

Edit: along the filter caps there are several taps that give different voltage, too, for different parts of the circuit.

Edit 2: Here's a good link. The paragraph starting with, "The B+ DC voltage flows..." is a good spot to look at.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

As stated there are two versions

63 RI

[​IMG]

And the 64 “SRV” version

[​IMG]

Both great amps. You can do classic rock with either, especially with pedals.

But the same can be said for pretty much any vintage style Fender amp. If it were me I’d look at Super Reverbs too. Probably a lot easier to find.

gridlock and Fiesta Red like this.
  8. Fiesta Red

+1 on the Super Reverb...
    Easier and cheaper to find.

gridlock likes this.
  9. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

I see. Thanks!
    I was thinking it related to frequencies (filtering out bass, etc.), but I understand somewhat now.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a guy offer me a 63 VVri straight up in a trade for a non-verb Princeton I had . It was a great one but still - what was I thinking ?

I thought it was too much power and passed.

A couple months later my brother “requisitioned” my Princeton and that’s all she wrote !

11. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Upping the capacitance in the power section will make the amp's low end much firmer and snappier. Pick attack is much quicker also. As Wally mentioned, many boutique builders took basic circuits and tweaked them with a stiffer power supply to give them their unique sound. If you are running ss rectification, you can up the capacitance as much as you like. With tube rectifiers, there are limits to how much capacitance you can place after them.

Wally likes this.
  12. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Thanks, curious why you guys are suggestions are the 64 Custom version. What about what I said made that the choice over the 2x10?

I'm not trying to obtain SRV's tone, just think that's a plus.... I did try a Super and that's actually what started this. I would love a Super but not the 65lb weight that goes along with it. Much harder to carry as well.

13. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Because you referenced SRV and Vibroverb in the same thread and SRV made the ‘64 Vibroverb with a 15 speaker famous.

I’ve never played the ‘64 VV RI but I owned a ‘63 VV RI. Wish I never sold the ‘63 VV RI. The ‘63 was a very warm sounding amp and it may have had the best Reverb and Tremolo of any Fender amp that I’ve owned.

i only sold the ‘63 to buy another vintage Fender. I guess I’m a bit of an amp snob. I know that I would have still owned that ‘63 VV RI, if it was handwired, like the ‘64 VV RI.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. Fiesta Red

What he said....^

15. drri

drri TDPRI Member

Yeah guess I asked for that one. haha Do love SRV but that's not what I'm going for, just an added bonus.

Very common theme across all the threads I've read about the VV RI, it's either the one amp that stood the test of time for most or they regret selling it.... I can be that way about amps to (hence the Alessandro Handwired DR I have versus a DRRI) But I kind of see it as if I never hear the original in person then I have no idea what I'm missing.... Which is a good thing!

I"m getting the amp for 1100 shipped so I'm getting a decent deal as what little bit I've seen sell online has gone for more. Gotta pick up a footswitch, but I don't use the one I have for my DR so I'm good for a bit on that one.

16. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Phew...I've played a Vibroverb a while in my old Rockabilly band and gave it away for a Bassman reissue. Wrong decision. The Vibroverb is one of my all time favorites.

gridlock and drri like this.
  17. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I think that I paid around $800-$900 for mine almost 3 years ago. $1100 for a nice ‘63 VVRI is not a bad price. Congrats!

18. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I own both... and end up playing the Bassman more often.

But, my VVRi will be one of the last possessions I let slip from my greedy mitts!

gridlock likes this.
  19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It is hard to avoid weight and get some sounds at certain volume. FWIW, the AB763 Vibroverbs that Cesar Diaz modded for SRV ended up being very much Super Reverbs with 1x15 instead of 4x10’s due to the change of the output transformer. The original OT’s in the AB763 Vibroverb is a small OT...as found in the Bandmasters, Proa, Pro Reverbs, and Vibrolux reverbs of that era. Those little OT’s saturate earlier and lack the punch and power of the bigger OT used in SR’, Bassman, TR’s, Showman/Dual Showman amps.
    Diaz is the fellow who got SRV’s equipment up to professional standards. I heard SRv in a small club here not l9ng before Diaz introduced himself to SRVin a blues club in the Baltimore area nd basically told him that he was a great player but that his guitar and amps needed some serious work. SRV’s acceptance of Diaz’s critique was pivotal, imho...because the SRv and Double Trouble I heard that night here in Lubbock was not a great sounding band....they were talented and tight but they sounded less than stellar due to equipment. They were just a bar band with a very talented guitarist who needed help.
    And...once again....what is heard on the records is not always what was sitting on stages. One recording session in NYC had a large number of amps running on three floors. At one point during a rest, SRv told Diaz that the little Gibson on the second floor was crapping out. Diaz figures that was just some talk, but when he checked that little Gibson had some definite problems.
    These stories from Diaz are parts of an old Tone Report interview with Diaz.

sds1, Axis29, LuthRavin and 1 other person like this.
  20. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

^^ That was a nice read Wally.. thanks for sharing that!! Stevie worked hard to gain his noteriaty..Still missing his playing..

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.