Jonesing for a new guitar.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mechanic, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

With the passing of Chuck and not having any knowledge of the Gibson guitars and their price tags are huge to my Squier budget, what would work from the Epiphone line? Anything else out there I could be looking for or does the Epi pull off that Berry sound / tone.
    Just so you have an idea of my current pallet of guitars are 3 Teles;
    Squier STD w/ flat wounds, CVC .010", a MIM Cabronita, and a Squier std Strat. I've an A&L acoustic that is nice player as well.
    I'm kind of looking for that Chuck, Elvin, Alvin, BB sound to explore on a Squier / beer budget.
    Thanks for your help.

old guitar player likes this.
  2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, I'd be off to the guitar shop and I'd check out those Sheratons. I hear they're pretty good and used you can probably get a good price. I've got a buddy who's a Gibson guy. He's got a couple of gibsons but he also swears by the more affordable Epiphone lineup and has a few EPI Les Paul's he gigs with regularly.

I'd also check Ibanez semi-hollow guitars. The 70's & 80's had outstanding ones called Artists but they can be pricey, so I'd look at the Artstar lineup and see if there's anything you like there. They have a 335 knockoff.

Oh, also. Be prepared to learn a different tone setting on your amp. That's was the biggest challenge I found when I moved from a humbucker semi-hollow guitar to the telecaster and Strat. My humbucker setting has more treble and my single coil setting has more bass and a little less on the treble side.

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Epiphone Studio Dot guitars are wonderful values. I love mine! Highly recommended...

[​IMG]

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Great way to get very close to all those sounds:
    https://reverb.com/p/ibanez-as73-artcore#used_listings
    At most, a different nut, maybe a pickup upgrade, though I kept mine stock. Dial in the pickup height, and you're set.

old guitar player and awasson like this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Currently the best 335 type in the Epiphone line is the Sheraton II Pro. Some dealers also still have some ES-335 Pros available. Both of these are excellent, and in full disclosure I own one of each as well as a modified Dot Studio, all of which I truly love.

Out of production but still occasionally found is the ES-355 model. An ES-345 and a B.B. King Lucille were made during the same period.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/ES-355.aspx

Just yesterday this video was uploaded to the Anderton's site and gives probably the best demo of how a Dot compares to a Gibby 335 that I have seen anywhere.

6. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Dot , great guitars !!!

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Dots are good but...

If you can, find an older MIK Sheraton II. Look for the Gibson on the truss rod cover.

Thank me later.

8. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Another Dot vote; love em. Sheraton II is a great buy but are hard to find for a decent price; as Pondcaster mentioned, the Made by Gibson version is fantastic (and recently fetched $800 in SLC). I'd say otherwise that an Epiphone Nighthawk would be a great and versatile guitar. I love my Gibson Nighthawk to pieces.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The only thing to remember about the Sheraton is that the pickups are generally brighter than in the other members of the Dot family. They are really good but might not have quite the sound you are looking for.

10. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

I think Chuck would approve of this. :D

[​IMG]

11. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

IMO, Chuck's sound was mostly in his fingers. From what I have read, he didn't even bother having his own amp when he was gigging, he would use whatever was available. However, if you want a 335 style such as he used, have a look at makes like Ibanez, which have a good range of semihollows at reasonable prices.

12. old guitar player

13. old guitar player

I 100% agree with this however I think Chuck (or his agent) did specify to promoters that they supply him with a Fender amp (or two) which at the very least was capable of 100 watts. Apparently Chuck played loud....lol

14. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Thanks, I didn't know about the agent bit. :)

15. old guitar player

You're welcome. :)

Now I don't think Chuck was too fussy about what kind of Fender amp as long as it was loud. Back in the 1970's in the USA finding a silver face Fender Twin amp or two was pretty easy. You didn't really have much choice. I remember the late 70's or early 80's when you could buy a silver face Fender Bassman head for like $100 or less...lol

I know there was a Fender amp Chuck was fond of but I cannot recall which model it was. I know it was loud and it wasn't a twin.

I think it's the amp in this picture to the right of Chuck.

[​IMG]

If any knows maybe they can enlighten us? :D

drlucky likes this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually prefer the Gibson ES-333 model the most, but they can still be pricey. The key with the Epiphones are to make sure you find one that isn't badly neck heavy or with gold tone hardware. The build quality is actually pretty good and they can sound great, but I have a couple that you have to wrestle with when seated.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+3 on the Sheraton. Any year will do. It is the neck that makes the difference. Probably need a humbucker upgrade to get his tone perfectly, but the stock ones will suffice.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The oscar-schmidt's linked above by Washburn I believe are contract built by Samick. I have one on the bench and it's not bad. Hoping it can be improved over the sorry maintenance/abuse by the previous owner.

19. old guitar player

Indeed they were the "Delta Blues" model or OE-30 and they are bolt on necks which I don't mind. I tried out a used one many years ago at the local used guitar shop and the neck was nice and the pickups didn't sound too bad. I seem to recall MF was getting rid of them on sale for like $139 a few years back. I don't think they are manufactured anymore.

20. old guitar player

Another nice Epi semi-hollowbody is the ES-339.

[​IMG]

Dismalhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.