Jon Bon Jovi slams Steve Jobs for 'killing' music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brill_building, Mar 31, 2011.

1. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

According to Buggles: Video killed the Radio star

2. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Bon Jovi is pasteurized cheese.

Jon is a decent businessman, obviously. How else could you keep that dated, meaningless band going?

4. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

5. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

Pretty presumptuous remarks. Actually, I don't think many bands deserve the "full listening experience".

Perhaps I'm not young enough, but I don't feel I've missed out on anything. I remember records, remember my mom picking up ones she thought I'd like as a young kid, and us listening together. It was Christmas tradition at my Grandparents house, until one year when it was discovered the records were warped.

I also had cassettes and a walkman. I certainly don't miss it. Rewinding songs, the tape getting stuck in the player. Crappy headphones.

CDs as a pre-teen/teen. Virtually unaffordable, so getting one was an accomplishment. But I never had a good record store experience, and usually what I wanted had to be ordered. I started using CdNow(Amazon), sending money orders.

Napster started around the same time. Early mp3s sounded like music being played through a tin can. CD burners and blank CDs were expensive. I never felt like I was stealing anything because I couldn't actually do anything with those awful mp3s. Not to mention the time it took to download them.

Personally, I prefer now. I enjoy all the options. I like playing a record in the evening and listening outdoors with my ipod. I still experience excitement, finding a new band on youtube. As a listener, things are pretty good.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

BINGO.... begs the obvious question... did Steve Jobs respond with "so what, I blame you for killing music?"

Bon Jovi.... hollywood hair metal for girls.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Bon Jovi needs to get a grip. Its the 21st century, and its not just music thats being pirated or downloaded or re-distributed or whatever you wanna call it. Almost any sort of intellectual property now, is either victim of it, or conversely, profiting from it.

the really smart musicians, like pamplamoose or whoever the hell they are, have figured out how to use the internet as an outlet for their music, instead of complaining about it, and changed the business model for what a rock band can do to be successful.

Wake up an embrace the inevitable, Bon Jovi: once its in ones and zeroes, its gone baby

8. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Haven't been able to do that since around '74.
    Prior to the time inexpensive music quality reel-to-reel recorders became available retailers would give cash refunds on record returns, but as soon as it became easy to make a listenable tape duplicate of an album stores changed their policy on record returns to limit it to replacement of a damaged record with an identical one.

But, there are pawn shops, which buy "Used" CDs and DVDs (in brand new condition, only) at less than retail, the owners claiming "Plausible Deniability" that they are profiting from fraud.

9. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I should steer clear of this thread but I just want to toss in a few more cents....

I'm sure that Jon Bon Jovi has embraced the technology, he has downloads of his albums on iTunes. And I'm willing to bet he has an iPod himself, as does his kids, etc. I don't agree with him blaming Steve Jobs, but it was just an opinion, probably taken TOO literally if you ask me! I like older corded telephones becuuse I remember never having a problem hearing the other caller, and now we have cell phones dropping calls all the time, where the voice cuts in and out depending on how close you are to a tower. Does that mean I don't love my Droid too? No. You can voice an opinion about dislikking something new, or rather, preferring something older, and still embrace the new stuff. And again, all the rants against his music and success is unwarranted. You don't like it, don't listen. There's no reason to knock someone else down just because you don't like what they are about. What if someone randomly grabbed your iPod, would there be anything considered "cheesy" on there? I'm pretty sure there would, because everyone likes things for different reasons. It's funny for a while, but at the end of the day, it just serves no purpose to be constantly bashing someone else.

Sorry, but when threads take on a consistently negative tone, it just gets to me.

10. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic

The main thing I miss is strapping the record player and milk crate of vinyl to my back, along with the speakers, and car battery to power it all, and going for a nice jog...oh, the memories.

EDIT: And didn't the vinyl record kill the 45 single long ago?

11. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

The man that wrote "Dead or Alive" thinks someone else killed music...

Uh, no.

12. Shalludog

Shalludog Tele-Meister

Change can be a tough thing!

13. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

14. Vanguard448

Vanguard448 Tele-Meister

Don't be so silly. Velociraptors killed music. ;)

In all seriousness though, as much as I like Bon Jovi I think that mp3 and CD are the way forward. Vinyl may have a unique sound and yes, I do like vinyl, but it's large, clunky and, like the cassette, obsolete. CDs are portable and high-quality, mp3s can be put on a music player and taken anywhere. In 50 years, we have gone from a massive vinyl dinnerplate on a turntable to being able to carry around thousands of songs on a device the size of a Tic-Tac container, and this is considered a bad thing. Personally, I don't quite see why vinyl should still be used other than nostalgia.

Also, one of the arguments that I've seen here is that the joy of saving up to go down to town and buy a new record has been lost. Well, it hasn't been lost, it's just moved on; I know plenty of people in my school who are excited to go on YouTube, listen to the first few songs of a new album and rush to open up iTunes and buy it. Equally, I know a lot of people who are excited to buy the CD on Amazon and spend the next 3 days anticipating it's arrival, or go down to the mall with their friends and buy the CD from HMV. I know plenty of people who group together with their friends to buy concert tickets and listen to their favourite bands play on stage and plenty of people who will go to their friends for the latest releases. Traditions haven't disappeared; they've been updated for a new era.

Although, to be fair, this is coming from somebody who owns an iPod that's pretty much full to capacity. :twisted:

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

A new one still in shrink wrap? Yes. I have done it. I always exchanged it for something else.

16. Malikon

Malikon Tele-Meister

If it weren't for old albums and cd's I'd have never learned that a lot of those "Filler" songs, were actually really good songs.

I'd have downloaded, 'Man in the Box' in the 90's and never given the rest of the cd a chance. There are certain cd's like 'BadMotorFinger' that I had to listen to in it's entirety a few times before it started growing on me and I came to enjoy and appreciate the 'filler' songs more then the hit single that made me buy the cd in the first place.

The medium I miss is the artwork. I remember staring at Iron Maiden and Megadeth cd covers and tape covers when I was a kid. You felt like you'd bought a package that represented the band with how the cd/tape label looked to the artwork. I remember my Metallica Master of Puppets tape was white, while all my other tapes were black or clear. Somehow this made the tape even cooler. And the artwork was oppressive and scary and fit the feel of the album. And songs like 'The Thing That Should Not Be' while not having the epic writing of the Master of Puppets song, was still a really cool song that grew on me since I had to listen to it. (It was in between Master and Sanitarium.)

Downloading 1's and 0's into my mp3 player just isn't the same, not at all.

I still buy cd's of the bands I like, I check out their music on youtube and if I like it I'll buy it. I don't think mp3's are going anywhere anytime soon, and I also appreciate having a small mp3 player with all my favorite songs on it. But I do miss the experience of 'wondering' about a band and staring at their artwork.

Now you just google the band and you know everything there is to know. The mystery is gone.

17. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

How do you listen to it if it's still in shrink wrap? :confused:

18. KBing

KBing Tele-Meister

You're too generous, more like processed cheese product - imitation cheese.

I'm sure he's made a fair bit of money from iTunes, he is a good businessman, does he still own a sports team?

Biting the hand that feeds, maybe. I guess he's entitled.

Everybody eventually misses the "old" days and ways...

Will the stuff that's selling today still be played at this generation's 40 year high school reunion?

19. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Those who love Apple stuff will say no but musicians know that Bon Jovi is dead on correct. Which are you? An Apple loving tech head, or a musician playing wherever you can for small money, peddling your CD's at your shows, hoping for the best?

20. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

So...if I disagree with Jon Bon Jovi in the smallest detail, I'm 1) an Apple-loving tech head, and 2) not a musician.

I'm going to chalk the above post up to an April Fool's joke.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.