JoJo Rabbit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 5, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    We tried to watch it last night. It was something that I had wanted to see. I like the idea of disarming dark themes by making light of them to an absurd degree. I was hoping that JoJo Rabbit might be in the same category as Top Secret! with Val Kilmer. Not even close.

We turned it off at about the 40 minute mark. I expected that it might be one of those movies that I laugh at, but my wife rolls her eyes as I laugh. Not even close.

The absurdity was certainly there. I appreciated that actually. But it never became humorous for me. The attempts at humor came off as hateful. I kept waiting for the hateful characters to have the tables turned on them, and maybe the movie takes that direction at some point, but it didn't begin happening soon enough for me. Yeah, 40-45 minute mark, we agreed to give up on it.

Too bad. I really wanted to like that movie, and we really needed a laugh last night.

If you liked it... feel free to make an attempt to convince me to finish watching it. I think we have it available on demand for another 36 hours or so.

2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I never heard of it ?

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I loved it.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Do they make fun of those people ?

(the people who followed the guy you’re imitating when you put a comb under your nose and throw one of your arms up ?)

Because if they do, and they goof on the guy himself ?

I’m good.

Loooooove black comedies.

Some folks don’t. I look forward to seeing it and judging for myself.

My film critic buddy who runs an art house theater loved it and he and I rarely disagree .

(However, he didn’t like Neighbors, the one where Seth Rogan and Rose Byrne move next to a frat house and I love that movie...:confused::lol:)

Colo Springs E and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds right up my alley. I think I'll look for it tonight. Wanted to see it in the theater but missed it.

Colo Springs E and TheGoodTexan like this.
  6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

.....I had kinda the opposite experience....didn't like what I'd heard,read some bad reviews,wasn't going to have anything to do with it.....my wife persuaded me to go.....took a while but got into it and love it now.....very poignant in parts,especially the tribute to The White Rose movement.....totally bizarre in others...but I'd consider it tragi-comedy of a high order since watching it....did you get to the part where the Gestapo raid the house?

7. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

We saw it a few weeks ago. Didn’t know anything about it, but it looked interesting. I don’t remember a lot about it, but I remember that it was pretty strange and that we liked it enough. Not a “traditional” Hollywood movie; if you’re okay with that, it might be worth trying.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Yes, they make fun of those people. (And I appreciate that you're dancing around words that the forum software will automatically censor.)

But those people are making fun of other people to such a degree that it was distasteful to me.

I get it - its a movie. And I could actually see the "high art" of it. I understand the niche of it.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it.

I think we're going to watch Ford Vs. Ferrari tonight.

Mike Eskimo, nobis17 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I agree with that.

No - didn't make it that far.

rob2 likes this.
  10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Another one we saw recently. We’ve been watching a lot of movies lately - especially before the video store was temporarily closed. Ford v. Ferrari was a good film; I bet you both enjoy it.

11. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I hadn't heard of it...Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, and Rebel Wilson...the trailer looks good.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Is JoJo related to Roger?:confused:

13. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

That was the turning point for me!.....the absurd side of evil!.....I think you're going to have to watch it now because we'll all want to know your view afterwards!:)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I may finish it tomorrow. If so, I'll report back.

rob2 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

It's not a Police Academy/Top Secret type romp through the 3d Reich, which may have caught you off guard. It had some laugh moments but that I thought that was maybe 1/3 of the point of the movie.

I enjoyed it though, and thought that Taika Waititi played the best Adolf since Dick Shawn in Springtime for Hitler.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  16. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I've seen it twice now. I consider it a masterpiece of film making and will be buying the DVD.

Too many people who complain about it are missing that this is a love story. The evolving love of the boy for the girl, the Mom toward her son and the girl, even Sam Rockwell's character in his interactions with Jojo. So many of those scenes between these characters are incredibly poignant. The absurdism of the German military is comedic counterpoint to the deeper story.

The settings, the costuming and the editing are also brilliant.

If you don't get it, well, whatever. Go watch an action film or something.

17. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A great, poignant movie along the lines if Life is Beautiful; just watched it two nights ago. Ms. Nutz and I both loved it.

If you like Taika Waititi, be sure to watch What We Do in the Shadows ...

Of course, we watched Hobbs and Shaw last night, and liked it as well, so what the H3LL do I know ... ?

Peace.

Archtop Bill and Tommy Biggs like this.
  18. nobis17

nobis17 TDPRI Member

FvF is awesome! I really enjoyed it.

As for JoJo Rabbit, I bought the book for my wife last christmas that it was based on. She said she enjoyed the book, but she also said that she had no desire to see the movie after reading the book. I get that it is satire, but from what I understand it is satire in the way the Brave New World is satire. It can be pretty hard to recognize. Huxley unintentionally helped destroyed the minds of entire generations of people because it wasn't taught as satire for decades, and still isn't in most circles. Now I don't think this book/movie is anywhere as influential as BNW was, but again that is just my opinion.
    I am very hesitant of anything that potentially desensitizes that particular time in history. There were unspeakable horrors that happened then, and personally I don't think its cool to make light of it in any fashion.

19. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

JoJo Rabbit will be studied in film school for generations to come. The book it is based on is tough slogging and has little resemblance to the film. Make that no resemblance.

There is so much to enjoy in this film. Yorki who “cannot seem to die” and wise beyond his years. Captain K, who we know is a very decent guy, whose last act of redemption choked me up. Neither Yorki or Capatin K are in the book!

The shock of what happen’s to Scarlett Johanson’s character. JoJo’s realization that Hitler, who he idolized, was evil.

What a film. I think I will watch it again today.

20. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My favorite movie from last year. Even my 15 year-old turned to me at the end and said "That was amazing." High praise for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.