This all started with having parts left over and being intrigued by the sound of the Esquire. Now I knew the Johnson tele was not up to specs from trying to put a modern bridge on it years ago. The main issue is that the neck has 22 frets but there is no lip over. The 22 fret is part of the neck. The neck pocket is also too deep. I had a Mighty Mite neck and foolishly thought that if I raised the neck pocket and put on the neck this would do. So my father-in-law and I created a shim to fit the neck pocket. We used a bench saw, extremely carefully, to get a shim as flat as we could. We also re-drilled the neck screw holes since they did not match up to any bodies I had. It was only when I re-strung the guitar that I noticed that bridge placement was slightly off. So next step intonation of the guitar. Well, you guessed it, it didn’t work. The goal of this project was to have a guitar I could use at work and therefore, being absolutely exact was not a great concern. So not wanting to re-drill the neck a second time, I decided to leave it as is. So we figure out where the new center line would be and took it from there. I had to move the bridge forward by 2mm. I was surprised that such a small distance made that much of a difference. I put in a Bill Lawrence L298 with his Esquire which gives you: Pickup and tone pot. Pickup by itself. Pickup with Q-filter. I really enjoy the different tones I can get out of this guitar. I never thought a one pickup guitar could be so versatile. So, there you have it. She’s not a thing of great exactitude but she works just fine.