Johnny Marr - Getting Away With It

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TokyoPortrait, Oct 8, 2019.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi again.

While I'm at it, I really like this one too.

Some really nice guitar parts scattered though it, but it still works as a complete song, not just a wizardry showcase.

Bit older than the Pixies I just posted, at five years.

Might be a love song :)

Pax/
    Dean

2. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

And here's the original...

Also by J. Marr (with N. Tennent and B. Sumner)

Lawdawg likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar and bass sound. Shame his voice is till a bit weak and uninspiring. He’s better than he was as a singer, but I find I can’t listen to too much Johnny Marr without wanting better vocals.

4. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I was trying to think of band names the other night and came up with The Winston Smiths. Ideal for a The Smiths tribute if anybody wants it.

5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Agreed but for slightly different reason. I don't think Marr's vocals are weak, so much as his voice is just very boring and bland. Having a compelling lead voice is more about having an emotive interesting style and tone to your voice than just hitting the notes. No one would ever confuse Sumner as having a great voice, but it works much better for this song than Marr's.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

oh, it gets so hard, it keeps getting so very hard to have any desire to undress in public when all that happens is the guys make fun of ginger pubes, no wonder the girls won't date their fearsome critics, too fat, too flat, too tall, too much self respect doesn't think I'm god's gift when all we do is judge and criticize and exploit the need for acceptance.

7. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I've seen Johnny play this a few times live and it really gets the crowd going... I originally thought his voice was weak as well, but it really grows on you and it's actually very good live. I love that he includes Electronic tunes in his set; I always thought that Electronic lineup was very unique.

I would love to see Johnny form some sort of alliance with Noel Gallagher and cut an album together... I think it would be magical. I wouldn't mind seeing him reform Electronic in some manner as well.

ElectronicSig.jpg

Artslap likes this.
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I've seen him perform this song three times when he stopped in DC. Like others, at first I thought why would you see Johnny Marr - whose going to sing? While not the best vocalist, he was quite competent and after awhile I got used to it.

BUT at the first show I saw at the 930 Club this song just blew me a way. His guitar work and stage lighting made this one of those magical moments you always remember. It was just something about that night at that location that made it perfect. While he also covered this song in the other two concerts, it wasn't like the first show.

Chuckster likes this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

people will just think of the guy who did all the dead kennedys art.

10. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

speaking of voices, I just saw Morrissey this last Saturday night. His voice was incredible, like the best I had ever heard him. They didn't do much Smiths, but "How Soon Is Now" was totally convincing.

I only ever saw Johnny Marr once. I wish it was with the Smiths, but it was when he toured with The The way back.

Chuckster likes this.
  11. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I have vague memories of Penis Landscape (?).
    Winston being the main character in 1984 presumably the artist took his name from there as well.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

oh he absolutely did, but there are a couple of generations of punk rockers who heard dks albums before getting as far as reading that book.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.