1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Johnny Hiland on his PRS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know people (And in particullar on this board) give him a lot of Bad rep about ditching his tele in favor of a PRS. And those who actually played that PRS weren't really jumping for joy either.

But I figured that Hiland should have a shot about defending himself and to let us know WHY he went to PRS and most of all that his PRS doesn't make him any less of the terrifying player he is.

2. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Well here he is playing his Telecasters for you tele-cats

3. Blazer

Tazzboy, you're undermining what I wanted to say with this post.

4. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah I know but sooner or later someone was going to bring it for comparison .

5. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

sounds about a million times better on the tele if you ask me.
    ymmv

6. Blazer

And with that statement the whole reason why I started this thread is completely shot down.

Thanks Tazzboy. :(

You've been a great help here.

7. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

I got to see Johnny at a local PRS clinic here. It was incredible. He's a hell of a player and a nice guy to boot. The PRS sounds good, but it doesn't sound like a Tele. It has it's own thing. I came way too close to buying one. A word of advice: never, I MEAN NEVER, go to a Johnny Hiland PRS clinic the same day you get your tax refund. Trust me.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You post something

.....on an internet discussion board--and you only want the discussion to support your stance?? Dang dude, don't take it so personal, I don't think it's the end of the world.

As an aside, I really liked how clear and un-muddy the clean tone was on the neck pickup, that was cool.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  9. 2Strings

2Strings TDPRI Member

No offense, but he is not really defending himself. He is just reading from a card the majority of the time. He was paid to make that video, and paid to endorse PRS.

Not saying that the PRS is a bad guitar in any way, but that video is for marketing purposes and should be viewed as such.

10. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

All I can say is that the PRS clinic I went to was one of the best run marketing events I have ever attended. They treated Johnny like royalty, and he treated us like family. It was a really special evening.

There seems to be more going on with Johnny and PRS than just a business deal. There seems to be some strange kind of "fit" that I never would have expected. You could feel it. It was real. Johnny is obviously tickled pink with his new guitar and with PRS. The PRS folks were ecstatic as well. It was electric.

11. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

PRS, Tele, whatever. All that country noodling sounds the same to me.

12. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

wow, that guy is an amazing picker! i've seen his Hot Licks instructional vid, it was good too. I liked his tele pickin' too, nice and snappy with plently of crunch.

who cares if he ditched the tele and went to the PRS, whatever works for him. Albert Lee is another country pickin' legend and he only uses the Ernie Ball Music Man axes. Those are unique too, not that i'd ever buy one though. I like Fender, and once i find somethin' i like i tend to stick with it, hehe.

Cheers,
    Joel;)

13. Wop Geronimo

Wop Geronimo Former Member

Out of those two clips the PRS has better and more tones IMHO. And I am a tele purist.

On another note, is it my eyes or is JH getting bigger? Hope for his healths sake he drops some pounds.

14. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Someone like him can make my 3 yr. old's First Crap Acoustic sound awesome.

15. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

He's a smokin' picker, and can play whatever he wants, but it was a bit odd after his early Tele-centric rhetoric to suddenly pop up with a PRS. I think they're nice guitars and all, but very different from a Tele.

16. Big John

Big John RIP

Exactly !!

I saw a PRS clinic he did here in the UK and was dumbstruck with what he did, he was really 'on form' that night, awesome in the truest sense of the word.
    No, i didn't care much for the PRS either but he's playing HIS guitar so i don't see the point of anyone mentioning it really, he seemed happy with it.

17. soltwanger

soltwanger Tele-Holic

I got flamed a few months back for trying to say the exact same thing: That i thought the context of that demo video was totally disgusting because it is blatantly obvious he had just been told to read from cards (as you said) and play generic examples of popular styles. To me that video is a shame because it doesn't give a true representation of jonny's playing ability. the tele vid however, is awesome!

18. Disastercaster

Disastercaster Tele-Holic

I thought he was blind?

19. genny

genny Banned

didn't this entire conversation already go on a few months ago?

That promo video, doesn't do the player or the guitar any justice.

20. Ptrallan01

Ptrallan01 Tele-Holic

Um

When you can play that well you can play what you want!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.