1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Johnny Cash songs

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by AJ Love, Oct 27, 2013.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I saw it again at our show last night, people just LOVE Johnny Cash songs. Yes they loved a bunch of our other songs too, especially the classic country "hits" like Working Mans Blues & Cheatin Heart & Mama Tried, as well as songs like Honky Tonk Woman & Squeeze Box, but man they just love Johnny Cash songs....

There is something about that beat and rhythm and those lyrics that really resonate with people. We did Folsom Prison and I Got Stripes. I definitely need to sharpen up on a bunch more Cash songs

2. drewsblues

drewsblues Tele-Holic

Same here. Played in a four-piece jump blues group Thursday night. Lots of Little Walter, T-Bone Walker, Hollywood Fats... Folsom Prison was the song that riled 'em up the most.

Seems, no matter what the venue or the crowd, everybody loves Johnny Cash.

3. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

They sure do. Ring of Fire seems to be one that general audiences really go for...the horn section part does not seem to be necessary in my experience. If you have a female singer handy the Johnny and June duets (eg. Jackson) always get em too.

4. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

If you've got another guitar player the horn part is really simple and sounds just fine as a guitar part.

5. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

That's a big 10-4. I'll even throw some semblance of it in there when playing it at a solo gig (me and my Martin guitar).

6. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I worked with a guy in SoCal in...........

the late sixties named Johnny McKnight. Ol' John did the complete Johnny Cash songbook and he wanted me to play them as close to Luther Perkins' original rides as I could so I pretty much learned them that way and still do 'em as close as I can remember when called for. I've heard other players do "Folsom Prison Blues" with different guitar licks and I think it sucks when you do that! Why change anything, what ol' Luther did was perfect! I can't imagine any other guitar style that works with those old tunes as the original stuff. I think the guitar works on those tunes contributed every bit as much to making them hits as the vocals..........JMHO....JH in Va.

7. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

We pretty much always do Folsom, and we often encore with Cocaine Blues. When folks hear that opening lick on Folsom they go crazy!

8. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Last night my band did Folsom, Jackson, and Cocaine Blues 2x. I have always contended Johnny Cash songs are harder to do right than most people would think.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

yes sir that is the truth

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Johnny Cash has a connection with sooo many people.

I can remember back playing the hardest rock and the heaviest metal.
    We would throw Folsom Prison Blues and people would dig it. Even through a 50 watt Marshall Half-stack.

Speaks volumes for the quality of his song writing.
    Wish I could come within a country mile of anything like that!

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

At the last band practice we threw away the set list and just played what came to mind. I played "I Still Miss Someone" with a swing beat. The rest of the band wants to add it to the set list. No complaints from me!

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

There is a great JC cover group up here, Cash For Junkers. They make crowds go nuts.

13. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

My rockabilly band does some Cash songs including Folsom Prison Blues and Ring of Fire. I play the FPB with a combo of the Luther Perkins parts with some basic rockabilly variation, and after a couple of verses I tend to throw in some extra fills. I keep the solo straight very close to the original.

On Ring of Fire I do the trumpet parts on the guitar. It makes an interesting approach in a three piece band, but it works.

On every gig, once we do FPB we get repeat requests. We did it twice last night, and on our previous gig we did it in three different sets because the bar owner kept asking us to play it again.

14. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Can't go wrong with Folsom Prison Blues! Or Brown-eyed Girl, or Pipeline, or..................

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I like "Big River" a lot.... I'm going over it tonight in preparation for a rehearsal with one of my bands tomorrow night

16. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So true. I play Folsom Prison Blues exactly like the original. Nothing to improve on there.

17. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I do Get Rhythm, Ring of Fire, Walk the Line, Cry Cry Cry, Tennessee Flattop Box, and sometimes Blue Train. I don't like doing FPB much for the same reason some folks don't like to do Mustang Sally but I play it a lot anyway. Get Rhythm is one that can be really dragged out if you have a full dance floor and you want to keep it that way.

18. BlackAmpeg

BlackAmpeg Tele-Holic

We do Ring Of Fire almost every night. Our lead player nails the horn part! I especially like it when we have a third guitar. Then I can set mine down and play some banjo or mando, both of which definately add to the song.

Folsom Prison Blues is probably my favorite Cash song to play. I've done that song with every band I've ever played with, and every band does it a bit differently. It's fine as it is, but it lends itself especially well to punk, rockabilly, and psychobilly-type styles. Same goes with One Piece At A Time.

Solo, I've done his version of Hurt (the best version, IMHO), The Man In Black, and A Boy Named Sue (at the request of my grandpa).

Cool thread!

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to be in a band that did Ring of Fire. The guy who sang it would walk up to the microphone and say, "Hello...I'm Johnny Cash. And these are my Tennesse Studs."

I forgot about Big River. I've played that one a lot, but since I learned it from The Grateful Dead, I tend to play it more like they did. Get Rhythm is great. I've heard covers from NRBQ to Ry Cooder. Everyone seems to have their own take on it.

Does anyone play "Johnny Yuma, The Rebel?"

20. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

We usually start off with Folsom Prison. Later in the set we'll play "Wanted Man".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.