1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

John Scofield - Standing On The Moon

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, May 19, 2020.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Here's John covering The Dead. He reminds me of Bill Frisell. He can go from very technical playing to very simple, but always great.

frank a, Vanzant, moosie and 9 others like this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I had the pleasure of meeting him when he was in Miles' band. Very nice unpretentious guy - he was warm and friendly to a random numbnuts college kid helping to do stage setup. Always enjoy his playing - it's nice not to hear the omnipresent chorus effect for once!

Slip Kid likes this.
  3. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Super cool. Thanks for sharing! He is one of the greats, for sure.

PhredE and brookdalebill like this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Over the last twenty years since I started listening to him, I've gone from thinking he was somewhat interesting to gradually realizing he plays guitar exactly the way I wish I could. It's jazzy, dirty, funky, and rock all at the same time.

Matt G, billgwx, Bob Mc and 8 others like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Nice

7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

love it!

8. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of the Dead's best later compositions, well suited to Jerry in his declining state. This and So Many Roads are still two of my favorite late era Dead songs. And Sco, as usual, is wonderful here...

In a way, it'd kind of cool to see one of the absolute great musicians of his generation doing home recording about the way I do it. Just a little phone camera, maybe a USB mic, and just sitting and playing. He's 1000 times the musician I'll ever be, but in a way it's even more impressive in this stripped down context...

-Ray

Dan R, drmordo and 6stringcowboy like this.
  9. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

"...a lovely view of heaven, but I'd rather be with you..." One of my favorite Jerry tunes. Nice job Sco!

frank a likes this.
  10. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

frank a and Boxla like this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very pertinent song for the times...

raysachs likes this.
  12. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Yes about John and absolutely YES about Standing and So Many Roads. BOTH get me every time I listen to them, which is a lot. To hear Jerry sing both but especially So Many Roads in the days leading up to his death is incredible. The passion he brings at the end of So Many Roads in his singing brings teams to my eyes sometime when I think about what was coming. My favorite guitarist ever and am so glad I got to witness him live. Some of those June and July 95 shows it seems like he was just a shell of himself and then So Many Roads comes up and he's on fire nearly screaming the lyrics with so much passion.

13. raysachs

Yep. I was at the Spring '95 show in Philly when they played Unbroken Chain for the first time. That was the historic moment of that show to be sure - I've never heard a crowd reaction build and build and build and more and more people GOT what they were doing. But the musical highlight of that show, and maybe the ONLY musical highlight of that show, was Jerry singing So Many Roads. It was one of the more intense goosebumps moments I'd had at a Dead show going back to my first shows in 77. My last two shows were at RFK about a month before he died. He was such a pathetic sight (and sound) that first night, it was like he could barely hold his guitar, let alone play it. He just seemed completely checked out. But he managed to sing Standing on the Moon pretty decently and, god, it was SOOOO sad. The next night Dylan opened and that seemed to wake Jerry up a little bit - he played a couple songs with Dylan and was a lot more animated and alive that night. Not good, but sooo much better than the night before. And that was it. Fittingly, the last thing I ever heard him sing was Brokedown that night, which I guess was the last time they ever played it. A fitting adios...

-Ray

drmordo and moosie like this.
  14. moosie

I saw shows in the 70s and early 80s, and then life got in the way. Married, kids, work. I always thought I'd have more time, and then one day at work (I worked in IT at Duracell at the time), another closet Deadhead broke into the meeting with the announcement. Most of the guys shrugged, so sad, whatever. I had to go home.

My son was 8 years old. Just a couple more years, and I'd have been dragging him around to shows. Now he's a dyed-in-tye-dye Deadhead, and a guitar player, but never got to see Jerry. Parental regrets? That's one, right there.

frank a and Matt G like this.
  15. raysachs

Kind of similar timeframe, except I went back for a last run at it. I saw them a lot from '77-'83 (which was a really good time to see them if you were too young to be there in 72-74). Then a few times in '87 and '88 when Jerry came back from his coma and was briefly reborn (or reanimated or something). But nothing when our kids were little. Then nothing until late '93. And then I went to a bunch of shows in '94-'95 because I could tell that one way or another, it wasn't gonna last much longer, but up until the end there were still moments and the atmosphere (prior to summer tour '95, which was a dystopian mess) was something I wanted to drink in. My kids were 6 and 7 when Jerry died, so I never got to take them either. I took my daughters to a couple of Phish shows when they were teenagers just to make sure they got a taste of the atmosphere.

I'm glad I was at those '90s shows. They weren't very good, I never listen to the shows of anything past '91 (and almost never past about '78), but it was kind of like hanging out with a beloved friend or relative when they're old. They're not bringing much to the table, but still want to be around them while you can be. I was somehow working with a number of Deadheads in that period (went to shows with 3 or 4 of my co-workers in those last couple years) and when Jerry died, it was a pretty grim office for a while.

frank a likes this.
  16. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

There's a way to DIY--listen listen listen, then play play play and stretch stretch stretch the limits. Other than being a fellow NYer I'll never be a Sco, but it's so so satisfying when flashes of what he does do appear when I play with no particular destination in mind, but armed with a lot of unconscious ideas from listening.

Matt G and frank a like this.
  17. moosie

And after 10,000 hours, they'll all say you've been blessed with such talent... :twisted:

18. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Lord, lord, lord. I started listening to Scofield when I was a kid in my 20s, not long out of the Army. How has he managed to become an old man, now?

PhredE and frank a like this.
  19. moosie

He's not old, he's only 68!

20. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Yes, well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.