John McVie of Fleetwood Mac playing some smoking licks on a Fender Jazz Bass

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
Smoking.jpg

It looks to be a CBS era because of the block inlays on the neck and of course the plump headstock that a CBS J Bass is known for. This was the Jazz Bass that John McVie used on every gig from 1967 up until the release of Heroes Are Hard To Find in 1974. He also played a few Tele basses around that time.

Anyone know what year this Jazz Bass was manufactured in? I would guess 68, but who really knows but John himself. I suppose he still owns it, but he switched to Alembic around 75, presumably to get a thicker tone. I have written to much of the FM members but nobody has ever written back.

But albatross has a great tone on his bass playing. If anybody has info on the Jazz Bass McVie is playing then share it here.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 943562

It looks to be a CBS era because of the block inlays on the neck and of course the plump headstock that a CBS J Bass is known for. This was the Jazz Bass that John McVie used on every gig from 1967 up until the release of Heroes Are Hard To Find in 1974. He also played a few Tele basses around that time.

Anyone know what year this Jazz Bass was manufactured in? I would guess 68, but who really knows but John himself. I suppose he still owns it, but he switched to Alembic around 75, presumably to get a thicker tone. I have written to much of the FM members but nobody has ever written back.

But albatross has a great tone on his bass playing. If anybody has info on the Jazz Bass McVie is playing then share it here.
smoking..yup he is..one of my favs from them from that time is albatross

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
View attachment 943562

Just an aside:

It has just been only in the last 20 years or so (and say only the last 5 years, for the music from 1969-1974) that I finally listened to a lot of of the Peter Green/ pre- Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac.

And for sure, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood are the two constants ( Christine McVie too, often uncredited), in all kinds of personnel lineups- hell of rock-solid rhythm section

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
One of my faves, he is not flashy, but rock solid in all his ways.

My favorite

Even though John doesn't get any screen time if you can listen behind the guitars that is his bass line holding it all together.
Oh Well.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Peter Green also played a Fender Bass VI on much of the early Fleetwood Mac. You can hear it on The Green Manalishi.

Rumor is that he wanted John McVie to use the Bass Vi but John didn't like its detuned tone.

View attachment 943577
I was watching some band the other day I don’t remember who it was but the Bass was coming from a fender bass VI, And I couldn’t see the equipment but the notes that were coming out of it were super deep, it sounded really great.