1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

John Mayer, I don't get it. Help!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by telequacktastic, Jun 22, 2011.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Lol - exactly, if he was old, black and/or fat no-one would have a problem.

I'm not a fan, but can't help but think that a lot of the anger comes from his perty prep boy face rather than anything to do with his playing.

His songs are saccharin but he knows his way round a guitar - can take or leave.

2. sir humphrey

Jimmy Page looks like he just caught his knob in the g string - and not the one he's wearing

3. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

I reckon that's just about one of the stupidest posts during my time here on the forum, without exception.

4. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, my .01 cent.
    I had never really been informed that JM existed until I watched Chappelle Show. Funny sketch about white people and music.
    Then I saw him on Crossroads with Brad P. and he was a positive DICK.
    Paisley made some little joke at his expense and he got all PMS'd on stage
    on National TV. I am sorry, but I think his ego far exceeds his talent.
    Now, does that mean he shouldn't sleep at night worrying about me?
    Hardly. He is making money and selling. He is obviously (watch the YT vids) a honeypot to teenage girls. They buy CD's and so he is a sale-able commodity.

I seriously don't know who these girls are W76 but they really need to signed to a record deal. That was one of the most awesome displays of professional music production I have seen in a long time.

SOMEBODY GET THESE GIRLS A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

And in this photo we are witness to the exact moment Mr. Page momentarily regained enough sobriety to realize he was in fact standing on the stage at Madison Garden and was not, as he had thought, at home pouring himself a lovely hot cup of tea.

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

JM is taken seriously by Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Slash, Pino Palladino and Billy Gibbons. That's good enough for me.
    I'll take their opinions more seriously than a few sad people on internet forums spouting a load of derisive cliches that they think they are supposed to. As if it makes them 'cool' or something.

Absolutely nothing ever said against Mayer here couldn't also apply to a whole range of 'respected' guitarists...other than that swimsuit picture, perhaps (imagine BB King in that). But people aren't compelled to slag them off every time they're mentioned. Loads of times there have been discussions or mentions of players here who I really don't 'get' or personally like....but I don't feel the need to type out a dismissive post about them. Why would I? If people enjoy their playing and want to share it with others, why would I want to rain on their parade? To show how superior my taste is, maybe?

But mention Mayer and out come the people who just have to tell us how bad he is.
    At this stage I actually cringe with embarassment for people who do it.

7. sir humphrey

Now I'm with you all the way here - but, that picture? He was being ironic right? Please God tell me he was being ironic.

8. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

You don't think he has a cute ass then? :lol:

9. TeleBen7

TeleBen7 TDPRI Member

10. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1 - his sense of rhythm and groove is fantastic. He is a good songwriter and he can hit the right notes at the right time. Check out some of his live conert audio at the Music Archive (he allows taping his concerts). Some great stuff. There is one concert in a duo with Pino Palladino which is mind-blowing to someone, who appreciates good rhythm playing.
    I hate his jokes, though :D

11. kennesawbob

kennesawbob Tele-Meister

So we have an artist that does not appeal to everyone who walks this earth. Shocking. :rolleyes:

12. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

Not a big fan .....but the wife loves him!

13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

So the OP doesn't like John Mayer, but since lots of other people do, he wants us to help him like John Mayer?

I don't "get" it. :p

14. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mayer is a "polished" guitar player and a good song writer. He is very creative. He has found himself a nice niche and in today's music scene thats what it takes. There are literally thousands of great players all over the world, but so what. I don't care for everything he does, but some of it I like a lot. One of my very best friends is a guitar "virtuoso" and gigs regularly in Memphis where he lives, but he is at the pinnacle of where he is and where he is going. He is fortunate enough to be in front of a great audience every week and he knows it. He enjoys what he does. So be it. Lucky man, that John Mayer.

15. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

Sorry, but Mayer is an exceptionally gifted guitar player, singer and songwriter. He plays blues guitar as a hobby (like a lot of us), except is good enough to play with the likes of Clapton, etc. He sings and plays (at the same time) and does both (at the same time) better than most everyone else can while focusing only on one or the other. Those of us who attempt to sing and play know how hard that is.

In his day job, he writes and performs songs that many feel are exquisitely crafted, sometimes beautiful. He's smart enough to realize that most people want to hear a nice song, not extended improvised guitar solos over the same progressions, and thus he plays sparingly - I think that leaves some guitar players confused.

You know, I'm not even a huge fan. I didn't buy into the guy at all, until my wife put on Continuum one night and I just laid there listening to it and had to admit, there's something special there. I've listened to some of his other stuff, and don't feel like anything he's done measures up to Continuum, but that one album is really kind of a masterpiece, in my opionion. No, it's not 'Texas Flood', but it's not supposed to be. It's a beautiful work, it's not blues or a "guitar players" record, and it's not supposed to be, but I expect it'll be hailed in the future as a classic if it already isn't. In my mind, he hasn't done anything else as good before or since, but that one album, and everything else I've seen (the live performances, etc) are proof enough that the guy is an very gifted musician and deserves what he's acheived, despite his looks.

Get a copy of Continuum, listen to it end to end without distraction, and if you can't appreciate the guy as a complete *musician* (not just guitar player) after that, than I don't think you'll get it.

16. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

+1 And, his preppy shirts.

Actually, I'm a reluctant fan of some of his music, which I find to be either created with a high level of craft (no small feat), and at times downright artistic.

But the first notice I took of him was an appearance on Crossroads where he came out in carefully worn jeans and either a pink Izod over a baby blue Izod (or vice versa), and proceeded to burn the stage down with all of those other blues legends watching on. Guy can play, even if he can't dress.

17. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

this thread is STILL going?

18. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

This thread will be going 200 years after JM anounces his retirement or leaves this earth, which ever comes first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.