John Lennon

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I was listening to Boston's first album in my dorm room when Joel Mayer came around to everyone's room with the news. I immediately put on "Sgt. Pepper".

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I remember the day very well. So sad.

il_1588xN.1225668372_hzzi.jpg

Greg70

Tele-Holic
I was only 10 at the time but I seem to recall watching Saturday Night Live and towards the end of it they broke programming to announce it.

EDIT: Well I just googled and that was a Monday, so that shows how good my memory is!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
To imagine the world can be a better place is not naive. To think it cannot be is to live in ignorance.

Right, and it seems like those who don't get that are confused about the realities of life.

Many see life like a drug deal where we expect controlled results.
The point of holding to some ideal is not that we expect to control outcomes.
More the opposite, where we know we cannot control outcomes, love is not for sale, and acts of kindness or charity are because there is so much black hearted thievery that needs some balancing.

Interestingly, a tiny bit of good can get us through a vast ocean of crap.

All who figure the ocean of crap is winning so might as well join in?
My condolences.

Very few if any of us think we can change the whole world.
But we can refuse to willingly make it worse and in so doing, make our own corner positive, while leaving small positive donations throughout our day.

I collect the smiles of strangers.
Very valuable treasure in a sea of loathing and fear...

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
One thing that sticks with me is how John Lennon talked in an interview about how NYC was the place to be artistically and culturally, and he ended up getting murdered there by a crazy person with a gun.

NYC had nothing to do with it. It wasn't a random killing. The piece of garbage that killed John was born in Texas, lived in Georgia, and went to NYC specifically to murder John Lennon. He would have gone wherever John lived.

That said, I wish John had hired security. There are many stories of him and Yoko interacting with random people on the streets and parks of the city, which was very cool until it became tragic.

Last edited:

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Got in my car to go to work at going-on 24 years of age, started it up, turned on the radio...BAM. Never been quite the same.

When I watched the new 8hr documentary, "Get Back", the very first thing that struck me when the first episode began was how wonderful it was to see John, young, vibrant, and very much alive. I must say that I shed yet another tear.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
As I related recently, I was aware of the Beatles but not really conscious of the Beatles until after John’s death…I was ten years old at the time.

I remember going to a Flea Market the following weekend, and tons of Beatles memorabilia being offered for sale. That’s when I became conscious of their cultural impact.

I became a fan a few years later.

Riffmaster227

TDPRI Member
I was only 10 at the time but I seem to recall watching Saturday Night Live and towards the end of it they broke programming to announce it.

EDIT: Well I just googled and that was a Monday, so that shows how good my memory is!

perhaps your thinking of Monday night football Howard Cosell?

Chester P Squier

Tele-Afflicted
I heard about it the next morning when my clock radio woke me up. I had been taking colds medicine so it was a strange feeling. Bizarre. John Lennon dead.

One thing that sticks with me is how John Lennon talked in an interview about how NYC was the place to be artistically and culturally, and he ended up getting murdered there by a crazy person with a gun.

NYC had nothing to do with it. It wasn't a random killing. Chapman was born in Texas, lived in Georgia, and went to NYC specifically to murder John Lennon. He would have gone wherever John lived.

That said, I wish John had hired security. There are many stories of him and Yoko interacting with random people on the streets and parks of the city, which was very cool until it became tragic.

Earlier that year, John Lennon told an interviewer that he lived in NYC because he wanted to live in an area where he could go out to eat and people wouldn't bother him.

It reminded me of an interview with Reggie Jackson in 1977. He had signed with the NY Yankees even though the Montreal Expos had offered him more money. Jackson signed with the Yankees because, in NYC, he could go out to eat and people wouldn't bother him.

In 1981, Jackson played out his option with the Yankees and did not re-sign, going to the California Angels instead.