John Lennon 12/8/1980

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fnkmstr, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

His last record is good. Certainly not great . Probably on par with George’s ELO thing later in the decade.

I firmly believe the mops would have reunited in the 80’s if Lennon hadn’t been killed. He and Macca were on decent terms when he died.

I was weeks away from my 17th birthday on 12/8/80. I was a punk but I didn’t know it at the time.

To be honest , Joe Strummer’s death hit me harder 22 yrs later but Lennon’s was still tragic.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

So you were assigning values to peoples lives even back then.

stevemc and nojazzhere like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

oh hell yes.

I knew even at that tender age that with Elvis being gone, no other celebrity deaths amounted to much of anything in comparison.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh, no.

Maybe if he said, “when I was growing up in Liverpool I don’t remember there being anything good before Elvis“.

If he said it later, and still believed Elvis was ground zero for rock n roll “and before him there was nothing” , well, he and anyone who believed that are imbeciles .

But, I think he meant the former...

Georox, stevemc and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I liked George a lot but John was my favorite. I was in a rock band when the Beatles hit the states in 1964. We all loved them. When John was killed it was like loosing a national treasure.

Georox, nojazzhere and Fret Wilkes like this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Just finished putting a few pictures on Facebook in memory of a good friend who passed away exactly two yers ago. In '77 after Elvis died we drank pretty much for a week, then in 1980 he could not bring himself drink at all and was unconsolable for days. RIP Stephen Hines 1949 - 2017

upload_2019-12-9_21-37-50.jpeg upload_2019-12-9_21-38-14.jpeg

7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Will always remember the (night) I heard the news.... so sad.

RIP John

A few other aficionados -

Georox likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

He did say it. His meaning is of course lost to the ages.
    I agree about the imbecile thing

9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

I woke up to the news on the radio. Hard to take it in. People were talking about it everywhere, in shops, cafes, etc.

My work-mates and I just sat in the van most of the day, in a state of shock, listening to the radio playing Lennon/Beatles tunes all day.

Still a very senseless death. Apparently John thought he'd be safe in the US...

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I sincerely like to think that, had John not died when he did, and everything else had happened more or less as it did, that John, in his "mellow" middle age, would have seen the joy and ecstasy that George (with the Wilburys) Paul (with Wings and other aggregations) and Ringo (with his AllStarrs) were bringing to so many people. He might have eventually been able to re-join the kind of band The Beatles had once been, in the early Liverpool and Hamburg days, and agreed to participate in appearances that were radically different from the later Beatles' hectic, grueling tours. I wonder how Yoko would have viewed it, or whether her appreciation for the vast money to be made might have overcome her objections.
    I have seen a wonderful model in Ringo's AllStarr bands, where many superstars put aside their egos to professionally and expertly play other members' music. I'm amazed (I've seen them twice live, and will again if I can) at just how well they can all learn parts and perform as an ensemble to the greater good.
    Can you imagine (no pun) just how amazing The Beatles could be, given the technology and electronic advancements available today? One or two keyboard players could replicate most of the orchestral and unique instruments they used in their recordings. But, of course, this is all wishful thinking on my part......

Georox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.